“Not worth the money!”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #31 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I have stayed in many hotels but never written a bad review but i do feel the need to share my thoughts on the Copthorne. I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of March for my wedding. I booked 3 rooms for the night before the wedding so that myself and bridesmaids could get ready together, with the hair and makeup lady attending the next morning. I had asked for the rooms to be as close as possible due to the getting ready part. When we arrived they were not together and one was on a different floor! Luckily they were able to find a room on the same floor but not together. On entering i could believe how small the rooms were, fitting our things in was a struggle especially with my wedding dress and bridesmaids. The rooms were so old fashioned and tired and I was dissapointed i hadnt researched the hotel more as the photographer had these horrible backgrounds in the photos. One positive- The breakfast- Was beautiful although the orders were messed up too, but in fairness it was brought up to the room at a supplement and the food was lovely. Oh, also our rooms were freezing. I couldnt sleep and rang the reception, they gave me instructions, which i followed but not change, so they said they would send some one up...I waited, and fell asleep, noone came. The night before my wedding, and a dreadful freezing nights sleep...
On the night of our wedding, we had over 25 rooms booked with Copthorne and my guests were told they were not allowed to check in before our wedding ceremony, this meant at 1.30am there were over 30 adults/ children and luggage ready to check in. Service was a JOKE! I asked to speak to the manager and the man at the desk said he was. Appauling service. He laughed in my face and spoke to be so rudely. Check in should have been done hours ago or at least sorted and organised so guests could have their room. It took 45 minutes to give everyone keys and even then my Maid of Honour had to come back down as they had given her the wrong room keys. To top this off, the taxi service they used AB cars was dreadful. Due to lack of communication between the taxi and the Copthorne, our cars turned up 40 minutes earlier and said if we didnt leave now they would leave us there. Their attiude was disgusting and as i was getting upset, my dad stepped in which one of the drivers replied '[--] the bride'. Absolutely appaling. I will never stay here again!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 May 2013

this hotel might be dated but everything about it is good the pool area is good the bar area is comfortable with plenty to choose from. the bedrooms were very comfortable with plenty of room and the beds were big and just right the televisions could do with updating as there are not many channels to chose from

Room Tip: rooms overlooking lake very nice
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This is a hotel on the yet skirts of Cardiff, so useless if you want to experience the night time facilities of the city. There are two shopping centres nearby offering the usual fare of M&S, Tesco, PC World etc but nothing of much interest. Free parking, a decent bar and Welsh whisky offers something of a consolation, but cathode ray televisions, limited channels and a wifi payment scheme is not so good. Staff friendly and do their best.

Room Tip: Best avoid the rooms overlooking the car park
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The reception and bar area was very nice as well as the pool and hot tub. The room we stayed in was looking very tired and the bath mat left a lot to be desired. We went to enjoy the steam room but it had just been cleaned with a lemon disinfectant and the smell was too powerful to stay in and enjoy. The changing rooms were also in need of a good revamp. We went through a discounted site and paid £78 without breakfast the normal price was £150 per night and I would have been gutted to stay here for that price. The life nearest the door was smelt of damp so was glad to use the stairs.

Room Tip: For £150 you really could do better. We had a lovely view of the traffic lights.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2013

stayed here Monday 21/04/13 in room 311 check in was easy but the hotel was quiet room was ok quite large with a double bed desk tea/coffee making television was a bit old but ok bathroom bit shabby and needed a face lift basic toiletries if you needed them wifi was £5.00 for 24hrs which was a bit disappointing as most hotels now offer it free restaurant was ok limited menu but the food was very hot for a change my biggest complaint about restaurants is food served cold but not here had the fish and chips but the fish was quite greasy and rustic chips not my thing so left the chips but that said it wasn't too bad the biggest problem for me was a strange smell around the hotel almost musty it was especially present in the lifts and seem to cling to your clothing and could smell it on my clothes all day i paid £57.00 for the room no breakfast but you could add that on if you wanted overall not a bad stay and would stay again when in the area

Room Tip: stayed in room 311 overlooking the retail park and was pretty quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I had my 60th birthday dinner on Saturday 20th April 2013 and from start to the evening of my dinner the staff were wonderful nothing on the night of my function was too much trouble and the food was second to none amazing was what my guests said I just wish I could print out and add their reviews of this wonderful hotel to this list, ourselves and two other couples stayed overnight we had a junior suite which was very comfortable and very clean with nice little extra touches for me on my special birthday our guests were also upgraded to club rooms and both couples were very pleased.

I had read reviews of this hotel on trip advisor and some of them are poor I don't know where these people are coming from or what they found to complain about, yes there maybe parts that may require updating but I think this all adds to the character and the setting is just perfect, our friends thought it was very posh!

We have stayed in 5 star hotels that do not come up to the standard of the Copthorne in Cardiff so we would have no hesitation about recommending it as a lovely place to stay in an ideal location in fact first class.

Room Tip: Ask to be overlooking the lake it is a lovely view and maybe upgrade.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2013

For understandable reasons the pictures of the hotel on its website put a rather idyllic rural spin on its position. In fact it is on what is best described as an out of town retail park. Not that this is necessarily bad as long as you did not book it as a country retreat. The position is quite a useful and accessible one with plenty of free parking. It is about 5 minutes drive from the M4 (J33) and so you don't have to go into the centre of the city if you don't want to. On the western fringe of Cardiff means that is only a few minutes drive from some really lovely countryside in the vale of Glamorgan.

In fairness I would add that despite being a country boy I have never been troubled by noise when I have stayed here

Other reviewers rightly say that the decor (particularly in the bedrooms) is getting tired and could do with updating and they are clearly right. [Note to Copthorne management - read your reviews, we are telling you politely what needs to be done]

On the other hand there are many positives to say. Staff are unfailingly helpful and polite and will do their best to accommodate any reasonable request. The food is consistently good with the service prompt. There is a large gym and swimming pool which are popular not only with the guests but also with locals. The rooms are clean and comfortable and not so unbearably hot that you cannot get a good night's sleep.

There are good conference facilities for the business user with a dedicated suite of conference rooms of various sizes.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business