“overnight stay”

Ranked #29 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
south wales
“overnight stay”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

stayed here with family overnight after my daughters wedding, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were a good size with very comfortable beds and the breakfast was delicious although a bit expensive.wouldlike to stay again when we have more time to enjoy the stay

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Coventry
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

we have just come back from our stay & the hotel was lovely.the weekend weather has been awful & we were meant to stay 2 nights but travelling proved difficult so only a 1 night stay.when i called & spoke to the receptionist she was understanding & told us to have a safer journey.when we arrived she was lovely & gave us some free drink vouchers.the hotel is beautiful with lots of parking.we visited the bar & the tea & coffee was brilliant.the bar staff were also very polite.we had a very quiet room that looked out over the lake.curtains were great & blocked all the light out.the heater took a while to work but think it was more us not using it properly.overall, would stay again & thank the stafffor being so welcoming.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ly27
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have stayed at the Copthorne Hotel at least once a year over the last five years. I believe some years even two or three times. We always chose the hotel (despite it being the only one we have stayed in over the last few years that doesn't offer free wifi/internet for its guests!!) because of its location, the large rooms and of course the wonderful all you can eat breakfast. However this trip has ruined my views of the hotel and I fear we won't be going here again.

As always we were greeted in a friendly manner and promptly checked in. We were told we had been upgraded. Actually the receptionist corrected himself, we have been upgraded twice! How nice!

The lift closing on us as we are getting into it is nothing new and we laugh each time we get a few bruises on our arms...

Anyway...the room was maybe a little larger than we usually had and the TV was more up to date. The room had either been decorated or the more expensive rooms have better wallpaper and chairs because this room was very well presented. It was nice to be back home and we relaxed for our stay.

The first morning breakfast was a slight disappointment. The selection had decreased since we last visited and there was a lack of chef cooking fried eggs. I pushed it aside. The food still tasted good and even if the breakfast isn't cheap we still enjoyed getting a nice Full English.

Christmas Eve we found ourselves eating breakfast in the bar area instead of the restaurant (would have been nice to have a little note posted in the life? In the reception? Warning us!?) Not really annoying or off putting until we actually got our food. It was cold. I complained to the waitress who said she would tell the chef. I asked her what good that would do when we haven't time for him to cook up a whole new batch. She said she would tell the manager. I never heard back from her and no manager came to see us. I was very miffed.

Later that day I went to the reception and followed up on my complaint. Nobody knew anything about it. The manager would be informed. What can they do to make it better? Oh I said...we shouldn't have to pay for this mornings breakfast because it wasn't worth the money we are paying for it. Apparently they can't do that and he has to ask the manager.

Bleh!

I come away with a couple of drinks vouchers that I could only use for wine or lager. Neither of which we actually drink. In fact I never had the chance to use them because we didn't have time to sit at the bar during our stay and it wasn't very welcoming...for example a girl running around in her onesie pyjamas one evening...

Christmas morning the breakfast was served out in the bar area again. The food was a little warmer and we had Christmas crackers. Which was a nice touch. Apparently fried eggs could be ordered extra and by the time I was half way through my food it finally arrived. It wasn't worth the wait.

The following mornings the breakfast was back to normal. Still the selection was less than previous stays. No chef cooked any eggs at the cooking station as he usually did and the coffee is always awful...

Back to my complaint...well I am still, nearly two weeks later, waiting to hear from him. I believe we were charged the full price for everything and nobody followed up with us regarding our problem. If it wasn't for my partner asking me to not make a fuss when checking out...well I don't know what I would have said/done.

Oh and thanks for the upgrades...which I now know were so that all guests were on the same floor so the housekeeping only had to work on that floor. Also most likely because all the cheap rooms had been booked for a Christmas party/event the first night we were there.

Which brings me to another complaint. A whole family, I think about 16-20 people in all, complete with children, ruined our stay. They were constantly running around in the hallway. Christmas morning started at 6am and they were extremely loud. Also the one mother spent all breakfast telling her children in a very loud voice, to be good and quiet. Funny thing was, the kids were all being quiet and well behaved. The mother was the loud annoying one.

After our stay we traveled on to another part of the UK and stayed in a Premier Inn. First time in one of their hotels and we realised what a horrible mistake and waste of money we had made with the Copthorne in Cardiff. Better breakfast, better staff, quiet rooms, free and/or cheap internet and amazing customer service.

Bye bye Copthorne!

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the lake are nicer. Try not to be on the ground floor which is actually the base...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amberkatze

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This could be an exceptional hotel - if the staff were a bit better.

We went for two nights in late December, and the hotel was very quiet. But, despite this, if breakfast is served until 10.30am, then I expect breakfast to be served until 10.30 am and not being tidied away at 10.00. I had to ask twice for scrambled eggs as they had run out and the staff were reluctant to get any.

The rooms, on the other hand were large and well equipped, with nice decor.

We asked for two adjacent rooms and were given what we wanted so no complaints.

Our trip was marred, I regret, by the performer in teh bar on teh second night who was too loud and out of key. As a musician, and sound technician I was particularly annoyed at the sound quality and volume - it simply wasnt acceptable. I, and many others complained, but nothing was done about it.

SO, taking the musician out of the equation, this is a good, clean well sited hotel. But it could be excellent with a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank colin f
UK
Reviewed 28 December 2013

First impressions were good, the reception area is a little dated but quite grand in mahogany wood. The receptionist was helpful and we were checked in quickly and efficiently. The exterior of the hotel is quite attractive being surrounded by a small lake and trees. The bathroom did what it said on the tin. The rooms were dated with the mahogany standard lamps, worn armchairs and 1980s style curtains and valance. The health club pool needs a revamp, the ceiling was missing in parts and the changing rooms were worse than my primary school,not exactly luxury. I found the breakfast to be okay.

We paid £110 for a 3 bed room, if you are not looking for luxury and you are happy to stay in a dated hotel then give it a go, it was clean and affordable. Personally we were visiting the cardiff arena and would pay the extra to stay in St Davids.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Room decor very dated. Room heater didn't work and hardly any power points in the room for recharging devices. TV remote didn't operate the on screen menu. Only 2 tiny bottles of water provided for overnight.

512 Kbps (charged for) wifi - what's the point? I preferred to get 6 Mbps with my 3g connection.

Definitely needs a refit. Wouldn't bother staying again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank B10LLD
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a friends wedding at a local manor. The hotel is easily located close to the motorway and is next to a retail park and Tesco Extra. Rooms are big, clean and beds are fairly comfortable. Breakfast is plentiful and on until 10am during week and 10.30 at weekend. Food from bar is decent but is quite expensive as are the drinks. Staff are great, very friendly. We will definitely stay here again if we visit Cardiff again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple