“Adequate, tired, worst value breakfast.”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #29 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
“Adequate, tired, worst value breakfast.”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My first experience of a Copthorne was a reminder of the bleakness of the big corporate hotels. The plus side was that I was able to get a room at short notice, it is close to the M4 for a quick getaway and it was certainly very clean, but every piece of furniture was tired, scuffed and badly marked, the staff were polite but all looked and sounded disinterestedly robotic and the place was utterly soulless. But ... the breakfast was the worst I have encountered in any hotel in the UK. Even at 8am the self service area consisted of empty dishes, tiny and dry pastries, absent staff, a toast machine that barely works and tasteless cooked food dripping in oil that was so bad it is almost beyond description. I was quite badly ill during the day and as I had eaten nothing since the previous evening I can make a fair guess as to the cause. It will be my last experience of a Copthorne.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
wales
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were part of a wedding party that stayed at the hotel Friday and Saturday. Checking for me was the major let down, when we arrived at the hotel to check in we asked if a porter was available to help with luggage as we had absolutely loads to carry in dresses, cases, but no porter or member of staff to help, the girl on reception did bring trolley out and I really did struggle to load trolley in poring rain, trying to push this back through door was a night mare but guest just arriving at the hotel did give me a hand. When I got to reception I did get a little cross with the receptionist and she then did help me to put trolley in lift and take to room, major let down. Room was spacious and clean but very dark, breakfast was very good on both days, and the evening meal we had Friday was excellent. We did use the pool on the Friday but I was not overly impressed and thought it was very shabby and could really have done with a good clean.

All in all pleasant stay but would not rush to return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
wales
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed in the Copthorne Hotel as part of a Wedding Party. We did have a discount as we were a large party the cost of one night was only £75 inc full English breakfast.

The room we had was spotless very comfortable, the King size bed was an added bonus. The bedding was crisp and white. There was Tea and Coffee facilities.

The Breakfast was Buffet style every thing was well prepared and most important HOT!!!. The staff in Reception and the bar and Restaurant were very polite and helpful. There is a pool and Gym however we were not there long enough to use them.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: This is a large Hotel and our Wedding Party had various floors all said the rooms were good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Lowestoft, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was hosting a work event at the hotel, so stayed overnight. I have stayed at the hotel before and had a reasonably positive experience last time but this time it was a bit more hit and miss.

The hotel is a long way out of the centre of Cardiff...so ideally connected for those driving, but it's a 5-mile taxi ride (approx £13) if arriving by train, as I was. The hotel now offers free car parking though so that's worth knowing.

My room had a good size bed, but a distinct lack of power sockets...so although there was a good sized work-desk, I had to decide whether I wanted a powered laptop with no light, or a light with no power to the laptop...so not ideal. Oddly there was another power socket in a recess in the wall under a mirror near the bathroom, but was located in a position that wasn't useful for anything. This also caused a problem with the ironing board...as the flex to the iron was just 3 feet long, which meant that you had to have the ironing board almost adjacent to the wall...so that either meant taking the power point used for the laptop, or the odd one in the recess...which meant the ironing board would sit right under the smoke detector...not really a good idea given that steam from the iron could set it off!

Internet wasn't free, although at £5 wasn't too expensive.

Breakfast was again a mixed experience...the buffet had a nice selection of food but the staff didn't seem to be coordinated...when I was seated they asked me if I wanted tea or coffee...but nothing turned up. After waiting 5 minutes I asked a member of staff for coffee and they brought it...but no milk. Having spotted there was no milk on the table I asked for some milk...and after a few minutes some milk arrived...and a few minutes later another waiter brought over another milk jug! Given the breakfast room was almost empty it shouldn't be this much hard work to get a white coffee with my breakfast!

Buffet lunch at my event was good and the summer berries and meringue nests dessert option was yummy although the buffet area can be slow progress and with 35 delegates at our event the lunch break was half over before those at the back of the line got any food.

Like most hotels the restaurant was a little pricey so I decided to eat in a local carvery for a fraction of the cost...so cannot comment on the quality or service of the main dining room.

So overall no disasters but a number of niggles that has resulted in just an 'average' review this time.

Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Brief summary :

Rooms-----Clean @good Size

Staff--------Good

Food-------dreadful -- dinner in Rest. poor---service very poor,1hr for 1 course in an almost empty room--breakfast ok but asked for omelette told 10 minute wait,Bacon Fat@Bland

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Maidenhead, UK
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Room 304
19 March

Easy to find hotel in a very good out of town location, right by the shopping area.
Car park is free and had plenty of space for me.

Check in was easy and welcoming.
Room 304 I found to offer a great nights sleep. A comfortable double bed, no noise and no light pollution.

Tea and coffee facilities, a proper bath (not just a shower)

Breakfast was very good. A good selection of fruits and pastries, hot items on the buffet or if you wish - the kitchen will make other items for you.
Good and efficient service.

Easy check out. A nice stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I would never stay in this hotel again out of choice. The staff were rude, the food was tasteless, I was told in check-in the restaurant was busy so if I wanted food I would have to eat in my room. at breakfast I had to sit myself and then waited nearly 10 minutes to be offered tea, the food was cold. I complained at checkout and gave my details and was promised the General manager would contact me and I'm still waiting! The only good thing for me was the location of the hotel as it was were I needed to be - very disappointed as I'm looking for a Cardiff based hotel for work.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Novotel Cardiff Centre
Future Inn Cardiff Bay
Hilton Cardiff
Hilton Cardiff
#11 of 76 in Cardiff

Been to Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd? Share your experiences!