“Great Place to stay”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #31 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 11 April 2014

If you want to get straight off the M4 motorway and into your Hotel, the Copthorne is ideal. It has more character than your average corporate chain hotel and more space, in the rooms, the bar, the car Park etc. It's still quick to get into Cardiff centre and it's ideally close to St Fagan's which is one of the best days out you can have in Cardiff. I stay there frequently as it's close to my head office but I choose to go there rather than somewhere boring like Premier Inn. I use an accessible room there and it suits my needs as a powered wheelchair user who prefers a bath to a wetroom. All in all, I have no complaints about the Copthorne.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view - much nicer than looking at a half dead shopping centre.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here recently to attend a wedding nearby. The rooms were ready on arrival even though it was midday. I was very impressed with the rooms, they were beautifully decorated and very clean. The reception and bar staff were very friendly, efficient and made us feel very welcome. Breakfast was lovely and the fitness centre looked really good, just a shame I couldn't face it after a late night at the wedding .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank K80pot
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and i recently stayed at this hotel as we had attended a wedding nearby. On arrival, at midday, the rooms were all ready for us which was great, as it mean't we could dump our bags and the wives could change in their own rooms. The rooms were spacious and the bed was huge, also very clean and well layed out. Staff, throughout our stay, were very helpful and friendly. As it was pre-wedding the bar was very busy with wedding guests but the bar staff handled it with ease.
Breakfast was superb. Buffet style and plenty of it too.
The cost was discounted because of the wedding (£85 per room) so as for value for money it couldn't be faulted.
Overall a very pleasant stay and i would certainly recommend it to anyone wishing to visit Cardiff on business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank wyllieboy16
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My first experience of a Copthorne was a reminder of the bleakness of the big corporate hotels. The plus side was that I was able to get a room at short notice, it is close to the M4 for a quick getaway and it was certainly very clean, but every piece of furniture was tired, scuffed and badly marked, the staff were polite but all looked and sounded disinterestedly robotic and the place was utterly soulless. But ... the breakfast was the worst I have encountered in any hotel in the UK. Even at 8am the self service area consisted of empty dishes, tiny and dry pastries, absent staff, a toast machine that barely works and tasteless cooked food dripping in oil that was so bad it is almost beyond description. I was quite badly ill during the day and as I had eaten nothing since the previous evening I can make a fair guess as to the cause. It will be my last experience of a Copthorne.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were part of a wedding party that stayed at the hotel Friday and Saturday. Checking for me was the major let down, when we arrived at the hotel to check in we asked if a porter was available to help with luggage as we had absolutely loads to carry in dresses, cases, but no porter or member of staff to help, the girl on reception did bring trolley out and I really did struggle to load trolley in poring rain, trying to push this back through door was a night mare but guest just arriving at the hotel did give me a hand. When I got to reception I did get a little cross with the receptionist and she then did help me to put trolley in lift and take to room, major let down. Room was spacious and clean but very dark, breakfast was very good on both days, and the evening meal we had Friday was excellent. We did use the pool on the Friday but I was not overly impressed and thought it was very shabby and could really have done with a good clean.

All in all pleasant stay but would not rush to return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed in the Copthorne Hotel as part of a Wedding Party. We did have a discount as we were a large party the cost of one night was only £75 inc full English breakfast.

The room we had was spotless very comfortable, the King size bed was an added bonus. The bedding was crisp and white. There was Tea and Coffee facilities.

The Breakfast was Buffet style every thing was well prepared and most important HOT!!!. The staff in Reception and the bar and Restaurant were very polite and helpful. There is a pool and Gym however we were not there long enough to use them.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: This is a large Hotel and our Wedding Party had various floors all said the rooms were good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was hosting a work event at the hotel, so stayed overnight. I have stayed at the hotel before and had a reasonably positive experience last time but this time it was a bit more hit and miss.

The hotel is a long way out of the centre of Cardiff...so ideally connected for those driving, but it's a 5-mile taxi ride (approx £13) if arriving by train, as I was. The hotel now offers free car parking though so that's worth knowing.

My room had a good size bed, but a distinct lack of power sockets...so although there was a good sized work-desk, I had to decide whether I wanted a powered laptop with no light, or a light with no power to the laptop...so not ideal. Oddly there was another power socket in a recess in the wall under a mirror near the bathroom, but was located in a position that wasn't useful for anything. This also caused a problem with the ironing board...as the flex to the iron was just 3 feet long, which meant that you had to have the ironing board almost adjacent to the wall...so that either meant taking the power point used for the laptop, or the odd one in the recess...which meant the ironing board would sit right under the smoke detector...not really a good idea given that steam from the iron could set it off!

Internet wasn't free, although at £5 wasn't too expensive.

Breakfast was again a mixed experience...the buffet had a nice selection of food but the staff didn't seem to be coordinated...when I was seated they asked me if I wanted tea or coffee...but nothing turned up. After waiting 5 minutes I asked a member of staff for coffee and they brought it...but no milk. Having spotted there was no milk on the table I asked for some milk...and after a few minutes some milk arrived...and a few minutes later another waiter brought over another milk jug! Given the breakfast room was almost empty it shouldn't be this much hard work to get a white coffee with my breakfast!

Buffet lunch at my event was good and the summer berries and meringue nests dessert option was yummy although the buffet area can be slow progress and with 35 delegates at our event the lunch break was half over before those at the back of the line got any food.

Like most hotels the restaurant was a little pricey so I decided to eat in a local carvery for a fraction of the cost...so cannot comment on the quality or service of the main dining room.

So overall no disasters but a number of niggles that has resulted in just an 'average' review this time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business