“One night stay for 2- one gluten-free person”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #29 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
somerset uk
“One night stay for 2- one gluten-free person”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked here for the location-close to Culverhouse Cross. It was in a lovely location, despite the road noise. It was a peaceful spot, with a view over the pond and bird and wildlife galore and we slept well on the really comfy bed that was HUGE!
We were given complimentary drinks at the bar, which was a nice gesture.
We were on the fourth floor, so I enjoyed the swifts soaring over head and the damsel-fly hiding on the window, in the morning. Our room was just the right size and well-equipped. The chairs were comfortable and we had everything we needed for a lovely stay, including two hair-dryers!
There was a wedding here, on the day of our arrival, which was delightful entertainment. Poodles with waist-coats and bow-ties etc!
We did not eat in the restaurant, in the evening, as it was reserved for the bridal party. The bar area was fine but I could have done with some water on the table. (I didn't ask the waiters for any, as they seemed quite busy.) The menu wasn't as extensive as the restaurant's but we both found something that was fine for us.They managed to serve me an ample gluten-free chicken fillet with no baps (actually 2 chicken fillets arrived for me) plus chips and salad so I was very well catered for...
The room was a bit 1980's, but then so are we! All was in order and it was clean, which was refreshing! The outside of the windows could have been cleaner but then so could mine, at home! I couldn't work the shower-tap, in our room, but that may have been my lack of strength and I managed OK with the bath and bath-tap, anyway!

The tea at breakfast was not very good, as it was made with 'off the boil water', from vacuum flasks and the orange tasted like reconstituted sugared orange juice.
I found breakfast over-all, slightly disappointing but it was OK.. It was a 'help yourself' buffet. The decking over the pond was lovely, in the morning, with Canada Geese and sunlight on the ripples, which reflected on to the ceiling of our room, beautifully.
The stay was a bit on the pricey side.. we would not have wanted to spend more on our stay but it was fine and we enjoyed it.
We didn't use the gym / pool but they looked very nice. (We got there by mistake as we thought our level of entry was level 1 and it wasn't, it was level 2.)
When you arrive, you arrive on level 2.. it took us a bit of time to work this out! We had a bit of an impromptu self-guided tour of the building!
We managed to Skype our son, in S Korea successfully, in the morning, using our 'dongle', which was a huge bonus!

Room Tip: Book a room with a view over the pond. We were in the Connoisseur room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Kelowna
Reviewed 17 May 2014

1.When weddings were taking place the kitchen was closed to all other hotel guests and had to listen to loud music until 1am for 3 nights on the week end
2. $5 GBP a day for crappy internet...REALLY
3. Only half the breakfast on the weekends or when tour staying there and they came first before any other hotel guests.
4. The breakfast staff was very rude even the manager....

Room Tip: Find a must better hotel to stay at.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Very disappointing evening at the copthorne

We got to the hotel about 3:30 and had a sit in the bar with a bottle of wine this was our ideal way to start the evening. But the. Went down hill.

We went I to the hall for the tribute act and had the started at about 7:30. It was some sort of green soup no taste at all. The mains was quite nice being a pork dinner, and then the dessert which was again tasteless it was some sort of pastry with pear I think.

The tribute act started it was Michael buble but was so load that we could not sit in the room and had to leave for the bar. Our table was close to the speakers. After the tribute act had finished we thought we would no back in to enjoy the disco but the room was so hot we had to come back out again and sit back in the bar. So all in all we didn't have much of a dancing night that we had hoped for.

We went to our room and had a very nice nights sleep so top marks to the hotel for that. The rooms are nice size and have all you need. Went for breakfast and could not eat any of it, it was just too greasy, ended up just having toast.

Don't think we will be returning for any more tribute nights at the copthorne.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert M

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Swaffham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here while on a training course for five nights, Rooms are very clean and a nice view over the lake. Gym is a nice size even tho very hot even with the air con going, pool and sauna/steam room clean and a good size considering the size of the hotel. The food was okay but not consistent I ate in the main restaurant one night and asked the waiter a question about a dish and got a "I don't really know" but then didn't go to find out so I ordered something else, breakfast was good and a nice selection of continental and fried foods. The only real problem I had was with the key cards stopped working after so many hours and had to get them reset 4 or 5 times but maintenance was aware of the issue. I would also like to say a special thanks to James in the bar for recommendations for both drinks and food and being extremely helpful throughout my stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

The copthorne has a wonderful staff amenities and very comfortable rooms. The leisure facilities are superb and would recommend to anyone, the only disadvantage is the hotels location, the bus times could be more frequent as well.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Once I found I was booked here I did worry as some of the reviews were a little disparaging. However, as I have said before on here I will make up my own mind.

a. Check in - swift and professional

b. Room - Clean and with all the dark wood and decoration style somewhat 70s but with a huge comfortable bed and amazingly powerful shower.

c. Food - We had bar snacks and they were awesome Fish n Chips, best in a long time. My colleagues had "Moo Pie" and the steak sandwich, all excellent.

d. Staff - Could not do enough for us, professional, friendly and happy.

e. Breakfast - After some of the reviews I was a little worried. However, lots of choices and as a buffet it was perfectly adequate and set us up for the day ahead.

f. Value for money - good.

g. Spa - Got back too late to try but it looked clean, modern and well attended.

h. Would I visit again or recommend to a friend - YES!

Well done to all staff and thank you.......

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks over the lake it is full of wildlife.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband & I stayed here on 18-20th April the rooms are spacious & comfortable. We have stayed here many times before as we have family here & it is in a good location. We got a good deal which included breakfast this time so we decided we would try it. We don't normally have breakfast there & to be honest won't be having it again. We were shown to our seats but not offered tea or coffee you had to help yourself to it , there were four flasks of what was meant to be hot water on a table it was only warm. You then went to get your breakfast plates were cold & there was no one in the area where the food was. None of the food was very hot, every now & again a man would pop out of the kitchen to take eggs out from a pan, they were too undercooked for my liking I prefer someone there so you can say how you like them done. The tables were not cleared very quickly people were having to sit at dirty tables. On our second morning we were sat at a table to which I thought the top was going to fall off it wobbled so bad. We will stay at this hotel again as it is best location for visiting our family, but will definitely not be having breakfast there again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple