“Large room but a little dated.”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #31 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
“Large room but a little dated.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

When I arrived I had to wait a few minutes for the staff to finish a conversation between themselves before being checked in. I was informed there were no rooms available when I arrived at 10am and asked to fill out a form to register for later. Luckily a room became available as I had finished filling in the form.

On walking into my room I was greeted with a lovely large open area with a television, couch and desk. Very impressed. The bed was very big too and quite comfortable. Unfortunately, the room was a little run down and in need of a lick of paint and some TLC. The bathroom was big enough but the bath mat had mold growing on it so I didn't use it. Shower was quite powerful and easy to use. The room was overlooking the car park but didn't seem overly loud and I was able to sleep right through 'til morning.

I was disturbed about 15 minutes after checking in by two women who barged into the room without knocking to check if there was a dressing gown in my room. They did apologise and informed me they had not been told the room had been allocated

One big thing that stopped me from voting 5/5 was the fact I attempted to order room service at 22:45 and upon calling room service the phone just rang out twice. I had been working for 12 hours and was hungry but also very tired so I gave up and went straight to sleep. This did sour my visit.

Room Tip: The fourth floor is a good choice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank F18Cook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Professional welcome and check in. Room a little dated but very clean with a large comfy bed and lovely pillows. Bathroom clean and a great shower. Breakfast as with most hotels is expensive but was a good and tasty selection from a hot and cold buffet. Staff very polite and accommodating.

Room Tip: Request a view of the lake
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EvanAndChrissie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Not a bad hotel. We made use of the Sauna, Pool, Jacuzzi and steam room when we arrived.
Front of house were very polite. Rooms were in decent condition. My friends said they were outdated, but they are certainly of a 'traditional' style. The furniture was in good condition though and the room very clean. Big bed, but very hard. Couldn't really sleep on the bed, so had to sleep on top of the duvet.
No air-con, so was very hot one night.
We had a lake view room on the 4th floor, which was nice, and also quiet.
Wouldn't really stay here again, just because of the hard beds.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I recently stayed here for one night with my two sisters as we were attending a wedding...we had requested a triple room and we were expecting something much nicer after looking at the website. What we were actually given was two single beds and a camp bed! We are all adults so this seemed like a pretty strange set up especially as we weren't informed prior to arrival. We didn't say anything purely because we didn't have time (we were going straight out to the wedding). It's not really a complaint it just wasn't what we were expecting and we would expect more considering the price (£119 per night).

The hotel room itself was fine, but the décor is very dated, and it would benefit from a bit of a refurb. The main concern was the heat of the room! It was ridiculously stuffy and the lighting was very poor so it just felt a bit hot and dingy!

However the room was clean and had clean towels and bedding and coffee facilities etc...

The staff were lovely and very friendly/happy to help and breakfast was good (lots of choice and all hot even though it was a buffet). The bar area is nice with lots of seating areas and a nice outdoor area as well.

Overall, our stay here was a little disappointing but nothing major; I think we just expected more due to the price and the 4* rating.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rebeccalouise23
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night after a friends wedding.

Hotel were very accommodating to wedding parties needs and allowed us to check in at 1am.

Room was OK bed was comfy but could do with a little updating.

Bathroom was OK shower curtain was old and mouldy and let water out over the bathroom floor.

Breakfast was nice buffet of cooked breakfast, cereal, yoghurt and fruit. All eating areas were very clean.

Gym was clean large and spacious with what looked like a pretty decent pool.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sian f
Honolulu
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights. Upgraded to a club room.
Room very warm and although a fan is provided it was very difficult to cool the room down. Windows opened but traffic noise.

Room is dated, pillows possibly worse I have had in a hotel for some time.

Breakfast served from 6.30 but egg station not manned until later (don't know when). Food kept in Bain-Marie but not very warm even at start of service.

Got a good deal for the stay so in reality was worth the price paid.

Stayed August 2014
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel is located in nice property and with easy access to all typical areas targeted on my trip. The staff was very pleasant, friendly and very helpful. As an example they kept my baggage safely and nicely for free of charge for hours even after I checked out. Rooms were comfortable and all amenities required were available. The food was average however they could improve the varieties in menu.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business