“Dated but does the job. ”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #31 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Very dated, average breakfast but adequate and friendly enough for a stay if you don't plan to spend most of the time in the hotel as I did.

Easy enough to get to with free parking and about 10 mins to Cardiff bay.

Rooms were dated as States above but clean and spacious.

Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,120)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

My partner and I stayed here for one night recently and we weren’t that impressed.

When we arrived, the receptionist couldn’t find our booking and took 15 minutes to resolve. It turns out they had spelt my surname wrong by one letter, but didn’t think to check the other bookings that had not checked in yet. Not a great start.

Despite feeling a little dated, the room itself was spacious, clean and tidy. However, we were surprised that the room didn’t have air conditioning, but instead relied on opening two small windows - this is not ideal during the summer and it can be very noisy if you’re overlooking the car park, especially as guests wheel cases over flag-stone paving.

In the morning, we had to queue for 20 minutes for breakfast - we understand that breakfast can be busy, but we didn’t expect to have to wait for this long. The breakfast area itself was very disappointing - the decor very dated, tarnished and/or damaged, the crockery and cutlery was dirty, and the space itself could have been better utilised to fit more tables in, thus accommodating the queue.

This was our first experience of a Copthorne Hotel and will probably be our last. For a hotel that costs c.£80 per night, you're better off elsewhere. We stayed at Premier Inn the next few nights and for the same price had a much better experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Saes2110
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel while on tour of the UK. It was lovely and decorated in old dark woods with an elaborate chandelier. The staff was courteous. The bedroom was lovely...the bed was just okay. The food in the restaurant that overlooked the pond and woods was very good as was the service.

Room Tip: Don't choose twin beds,.
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel three times in three consecutive years.
The hotel is good, the bedrooms are big and relatively clean but could do with a renovation.
The location is very convenient, close to the M4 and the city centre. Lots of parking spaces and the M&S is just across the road.
I had a dinner once at the hotel restaurant and the salmon was fantastic.
The staff are very friendly and professional.
The only downside of this hotel is the depressing dark colours.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is conveniently located 10mn drive from Cardiff Bay. Staff were really friendly and professional. On arrival we asked for quiet rooms as we spotted there were a couple of wedding parties staying in the hotel and were right to do so as both our rooms were really quiet on Floor 4. The staff was really professional at trying to accommodate our request.

Breakfast was average with watered down orange juice and nearly uncooked sausages.

You can tell this hotel used to be a gem 20 years ago but the furniture and equipment could now definitely do with a refresh as they look really old. The room in itself looked a bit worn out and the bed was just about comfortable with a squeaky mattress.

Overall it's a shame that the hotel itself lets the staff down as everyone we met and talked to were really helpful and smiley. The management should invest in a refurbishment or at least varnish the worn out furniture woods but also invest in some better quality food. These are two easy wins that would guarantee a 4-5 star review.

Room Tip: Pick floor 4 facing the lake for a quiet room
2  Thank duplessisn
Reviewed 18 August 2014

When I arrived I had to wait a few minutes for the staff to finish a conversation between themselves before being checked in. I was informed there were no rooms available when I arrived at 10am and asked to fill out a form to register for later. Luckily a room became available as I had finished filling in the form.

On walking into my room I was greeted with a lovely large open area with a television, couch and desk. Very impressed. The bed was very big too and quite comfortable. Unfortunately, the room was a little run down and in need of a lick of paint and some TLC. The bathroom was big enough but the bath mat had mold growing on it so I didn't use it. Shower was quite powerful and easy to use. The room was overlooking the car park but didn't seem overly loud and I was able to sleep right through 'til morning.

I was disturbed about 15 minutes after checking in by two women who barged into the room without knocking to check if there was a dressing gown in my room. They did apologise and informed me they had not been told the room had been allocated

One big thing that stopped me from voting 5/5 was the fact I attempted to order room service at 22:45 and upon calling room service the phone just rang out twice. I had been working for 12 hours and was hungry but also very tired so I gave up and went straight to sleep. This did sour my visit.

Room Tip: The fourth floor is a good choice.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank F18Cook
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Professional welcome and check in. Room a little dated but very clean with a large comfy bed and lovely pillows. Bathroom clean and a great shower. Breakfast as with most hotels is expensive but was a good and tasty selection from a hot and cold buffet. Staff very polite and accommodating.

Room Tip: Request a view of the lake
1  Thank EvanAndChrissie