Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
US$109
Marriott Hotels
US$106
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$85
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$94
  • Room Service
Novotel Cardiff Centre(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$101
  • Pool
Jurys Inn Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$80
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Future Inn Cardiff Bay(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$88
Hilton Cardiff(Cardiff)
US$192
US$185
1,202 results
All reviewsretail parklake viewculverhouse crosscity centrebit datedleisure facilitiessteam roomclub roomironing boardbusy roadone night staybuffet stylefree parkingnight's sleepcomfy bedsaturday nightafternoon tea
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Hotel was chosen for its convenience, being only 4 miles from The Millennium Stadium and with good access to the motorway network. As a previous reviewer has commented, the "lakeside setting" claim is a little generous - this appears to be a man-made soak-away although, to be fair there were cootes, moorhen and a couple of mallards in situ. With an enormous retail park across the way, I was a little concerned about traffic noise but the hotel was well insulated and this did not cause a problem.
While the lunch-time check-in was handled efficiently, this was slow as there was only a single receptionist who adised that the hotel was fully booked on the Saturday evening so I would have epected management to be more responsive to front desk issues.
There was a small but adequate bar which, again, was suffering from insufficient bar staff. Fortunately, our top-floor room was ready and was well cleaned and tidy - although looking a little tired with its dark wood furniture. That said, the bathroom seems to have enjoyed a recent makeover.
On our return in the evening, we ate in the bar whhich was lively but where service was good and with well presented simple food - fish and chips with peas and a ham & cheese omelette with chips and a little salad was £23, which represented reasonable value.
Breakfast in the main restaurant area was self-service with a varied selection of juices, cereals and breads/croissant through to a full cooked selection of bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, mushroom & hash browns - I had pre-booked this when making the initial reservation for £10 pp and, again, this was good value.
Our check-out was handled more promptly than our arrival. There is ample free car-parking.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank SilverBuzz
Reviewed 18 February 2009

This hotel did what we needed - i.e. provided a convenient and comfortable base for a weekend break visiting relatives. However, the view on the hotel website is misleading: the 'lake' is tiny, and the hotel is actually surrounded by roads and a retail park!
Our room was very comfortable, although dark mock-colonial is not really our style, it's only a hotel after all! The spa was good for an early morning work-out: with a nice clean swimming pool, gym and sauna.
After getting a favourable room-rate, the charge for breakfast (£15) seemed excessive, so we trotted over to the big M&S where we had outstanding breakfasts (waitress served!) for half the Copthorne price. The front-desk staff were friendly and helpful, but having only one girl on at peak check-out time was not clever management!
Although well out of the city, access to Cardiff is quick and easy via the dual carriageway and equally easy onto the motorways.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rutland_Flyer
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Booked an amazing deal for this hotel - £120 for dinner, bed and breakfast

Arrived early (10.45) and was pleasantly surpised to be able to go straight into the room (reception staff very pleasant and helpful)

Room was very clean, decent bathroom with a powerful shower and good space

TV in room with internet, radio and various satellite channels (plus the usual PPV films) - we had room 218 with was on the 1st floor up (odd!) but gave an excellent view over the hotels lake with ducks (though the backdrop to the lake is the main road and over that a large retail park - I have to say this did not spoil the view)

We went out in the afternoon, but as we were just there for a quick break (we live just 45 minutes from Cardiff) we didnt go to the city

There is a pleasant little village(town?) - Cowbridge - a few miles from the hotel, nice to walk around but avoid the lunch time menu at the little italian (name escapes me) not far from the car park - even at £9.95 two courses were not cheap - "fresh" breadcrumbs were nothing of the sort, risotto seemed just like microwaved uncle bens and was in no way tradionally cooked - truly awful!

For the shoppers, the M & S just across from the hotel is absolutely massive - huge clothing selection, big food court and a smallish home section - also a huge Tesco hypermarket but cant speak for that as I didnt go in

Back to the hotel -

We chilled for the rest of the day (the hotel has a swimming pool, whirlpool, sauna, steam room and gym - quite small but all very nice) then went to the Fine Dining restaurant

This was a truly superb experience (it amazed me how quiet they were, but I think Mid January, credit crunch, etc didnt help)

Make no mistake, I am EXTREMELY critical when it comes to food and service and this was easily 9/10, possibly 10/10

The food was very well presented at each course, we received a "compliments of the chef" appetiser in between the starter and main course and another complimentary desert prior to the main desert

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff (the head waiter - Vikram? (sorry if I got your name wrong!) was particularly attentive and, something I value, was not afraid to speak up and make recommendations rather than the "its all very nice" cop out

To give you a small idea of the food quality-

I had welsh lamb neck fillet medium rare - excellent melt in the mouth, well cooked vegetables

My wife had breast of partridge with confit of its legs and could not have been more complimentary

I copped out to sorbet and ice cream for desert and the choice was staggering (ALL home made) - mild garlic, coriander, lemongrass, rasbbery, blueberry, chocolate fondant (this was no
ordinary choc ice cream!)

My wife had cheese and was given no less than 7 different cheeses

They had a red wine on offer (a Hardys Shiraz I think?) - the bottle comes free when buying 2 glasses of the wine, this was excellent value and a perfect wine for the meal

In total 4 of us went to the meal and all enjoyed every last bite

The next day the breakfast was nice, a good selection of cold buffet (usual pastries, bread, cereals, yoghurt, etc)

Hot buffet was a good selection of the usual suspects for a full english, plus eggs cooked to order and even eggs benedict (though I had this and chef messed up the quantity of vinegar in the sauce - a replacement was offered without question though, and I fell that is all you can ask of someone)

So, in total I would heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone, especially via that magic LM.COM deal

Well done Copthorne Cardiff

(PS: I really just dont get the older bad reviews for this place, totally at odds with our experience)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank MatZumerzet
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Well, this turned into an excellent stay after a bit of a mess up. I had booked a £99 dinner, bed and breakfast one night deal, with evening entertainment in the theatre. However, the entertainment was cancelled due to low bookings (just me!) and I was given dinner in the restaurant as compensation, along with a bottle of good red wine in my room. The food was delicious - far superiour to any other hotel at which I have stayed in Cardiff. If partridge is on the menu when you stay, have it, no questions asked. The waiters were also very attentive, although that isn't surprising as there were only two other people eating in the restaurant. The bar area was crowded though.
My bedroom was comfortable and fairly plush and the breakfast was all help-yourself and fine.
This hotel knows how to say sorry - an art which is nearly lost so I treasure it. I will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank taith
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2008

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Im sorry you didn't get the chance to see our theatre but Im pleased to hear you enjoyed dinner in Raglans Restuarant. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

With my best regards,

David Lane

Reviewed 28 October 2008

How people can moan about this place i don't understand.

Stayed Fri and Sat for the grand total of £130 and thought it was worth every penny.

Pool and Spa is great especially when you have a hangover.

Never ate so can't comment but the Afternoon Tea menu looked delicious.

Double room clean & big enough for 2 adults and thats including my girlfriends bags!!!

Location is a little out of town and we did get charged £13 to get dropped off in Cardiff once so maybe thats something to think of. You could get a bus anyway.

All in all i'd recommend this hotel.

But not for people who may find a tiny speck of dust on the corner of the TV cabinet and come on here moaning. You just stay at home :-)

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sejasaurus

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

With my best regards,