“Very good value and quality - would return” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #29 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Derby, United Kingdom
“Very good value and quality - would return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

The hotel is located on a large out-of-town shopping site. M&S, Tesco etc are very handy. It is a fair drive away from Cardiff Bay and the City Centre - but buses are available.
The rooms are the usual 4* quality with tea etc facilities. We stayed in a club room which was a bit more expensive and came with a mini bar with a small bottle of wine, two small waters, some chocs, 2 pieces of fruit and 2 cans of soft drinks. It also had ironing board, iron, fan (no air con), slippers and bath robes. We also had access to the club lounge for continental breakfast.
We booked a theatre break for one night - decent three course meal (we are veggies) plus decent 4-piece show (bit better than a holiday rep- type event). Cooked breakfast was the usual buffet style arrangement - a good choice of cereals, fruit and hot options.
Excellent health club - pool slightly small - gym well equipped and larger than usual 4* hotels.
All staff were very friendly throughout our staff. I would have no hesitation about returning to this hotel - I will certainly check their website to find out about others in the Millenium chain. Our deal was very good - I called the hotel in advance - they happily matched the late rooms offers..

1 Thank JackieTrainor
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 23 February 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in writing a review of our hotel. I am very pleased your stay was enjoyable.

The show option here is very popular and we often run promotions to ensure the evenings are full. Best deals can always be had on Thursday's or Friday's for future referenced.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With warmest regards

David Faull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

We went for Valentines night musical theatre night. The group were ok. The food was not particularly inspiring and whilst I appreciate that timing is important due to the show, I felt that the meal was a rushed affair. It would of been nice to be offered a choice of meal which we could of pre-ordered. Breakfast was good and staff friendly. Lovely room (not sure I would pay full rate though). Room service was good (didn't eat much of main meal) see reasons above. Location is ok just off of main roads & M4 so suitable for many attractions. A bit pricey.

Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that your stay was in the whole enjoyable.

The theatre show revolves around the entertainment and the meal is a simply part of the evening, although I understand your comments regarding the feeling of being rushed. Clearly we should have ensured that service was slightly more relaxed esepecially during the Valentine weekend.

The shows usually get fantastic reviews, so hopefully you will come back soon and try a different show.

Many thanks again

With kindest regards

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

We stayed on Valentine Day having bid for the booking on Ebay. The offer was for B&B with a 3 course evening meal and Big Wheels of Mowtown Live Music show.

No complaints about the price we paid for it (£82), but the supposed value was nearer £250 which would have been outrageous.
The room was okay but the bed, like so many are doing nowadays, was two beds put together to make it Queen size, was uncomfortable and neither of us slept well.

The 'entertainment/meal was a huge disappointment. There was no choice of menu which wasn't mentioned in the advert. We had some green liquid in a bowl that was soup apparently. The main course was a cut of chicken I have only previously seen used by KFC along with a dollop of lumpy mashed potato containing other vegetables (left overs?).
Desert was something white and flavourless which was probably meant to be soft in texture but was not yet defrosted. All of this served up in the 'romantic ambiance' of a crowded room with a lack of elbow space.

As for the show. 4 young wannabe's who mistake volume for talent and for whom the notion of remembering lyrics is a step too far. They were awful. Those that had consumed rather more alcohol than us seemed content but at £10+ for two glasses of wine, I'm afraid that it was a sober evening for this disappointed couple.

Had we stayed as B&B guests I am certain that we would have had no complaints but when offered a night's entertainment it was a very poor experience.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in writing this review. I am sorry that your evening was not as enjoyable as it should have been.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and enjoy two Rosettes along with a very experienced team of Chefs. I have passed your comments onto the team to ensure that lessons are learnt and we do not see a repeat of comments such as the ones you have posted going forward.

Unfortunately the food is a small part of the evening and needs to be a set menu. I will review these menu's in the coming weeks to ensure consistancy. Other factors to take into account are the timings of the show itself and we therefore need a simplified menu to assist with service.

I have also discussed your comments regarding the quality of the entertainment and entertainers. Again I will monitor and replacements will be arranged if necessary. We have an exceptionally high number of guests attending each week and these evenings are very popular. I am sorry that your did not enjoy it, although overall we received a very large number of very positive comments for the weekend. I will review the finer details as clearly with such a special weekend our guests deserve to feel pampered and valued.

I hope that we have an opportunity to redeem ourselves and would be happy to discuss the comments with you further.

David Faull

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Barru
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

My partner booked us in to stay at the copthorne hotel for valentines weekend.
The hotel was very busy and it had a really great ambiance.
I was very excited for our stay and was particulary looking forward to the special valentine treat as my partner had booked us in to see the theatre dining show .
We booked in at the end of last year to see the West end show and although the food and service wasnt up to much the show made up for it.
We thought we would give it another go as we live local in Barry.
I must say that the food and the service has certainly picked up but sadly the standard of the show had dropped. I cant be sure if it was because it was a different style of show or the change of cast but me and my partner were left very dissapointed. There was no buzz like you would expect from a theatre performace, it was a completely different show to the last time in fact.
Maybe it was just a bad night but for Valentines day I wished it had been a bit more special.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TinaB38
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing this review. I am pleased that the food and service were greatly improved during your stay.

I have addressed your comments with the Management of the theatre group to ensure that the shows are reviewed and monitored going forward. This having now been identified I am confident that we will see an imediate improvement.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding the food and service. Recently we have invested a great deal of time in focusing on these standards and hopefully all our regular guests can see this improvement.

It is always good to receive praised, although we aknowledge we can always do better. I do hope that you will come again soon and see the further improvements we have made.

Many thanks for your comments

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

We booked this hotel at the very last minute as we were visiting Swansea University the next day. We were late arriving and were greeted with a very warm welcome and a lovely spacious bedroom overlooking the late. The beds were comfortable and everything was clean. We didn't have breakfast as left early. The staff we met were extremely helpful and polite. Keep up the good work.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing our hotel following your recent stay. I was delighted you enjoyed your time with us.

We pride ourselves on our fantastic team here and receive a large number of positive comments regarding them. I have of course passed on you extremely pleasant comments to the team to ensure that they maintain this focus on our guests.

I am pleased that the room and view over our lake also added to the enjoyment of your stay. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to look after you again in the future and possibly demonstrate our excellent food offerings as well.

Thank you again for your review. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2010

We stayed with our 5 yeivedr old on the dine with show night. from the moment we arrived our daughter was welcomed (this is so opposite to most of our experiences e.g the Novotel in Cardiff) the receptionist bent over backwards to accomodate us we hen we explained that the show food was a little late for a 5 year old. We ate our food at the bar which the waiter made sure we had asap. the lovely entertainment manager even came to get us for the show and made sure we had a seat right by the door so we could leave to take our daughter to bed. sadly, we could not stay for the whole event( past her bed time) but it was superb!!!! It is so refreshing to stay at a hotel that makes you feel welcome and just not walking cash!!! Thankyou!!!

Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in writing this review. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

To receive praise like this is always very rewarding and makes our dedication to ensuring the best possible service by the best possible people is recognised. I am very pleased to be able to share your comments with my team and feel sure they will take as much pride out of them as I do.

Perhaps you can come to our panto shows which will start in the Easter holidays to ensure that you never need miss the show again.

Warmest regards

Generakl Manager
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2010

We went to this hotel for our wedding anniversary and booked through TravelZoo as a thatre break deal. We live in Haverfordwest so It's the right side of Cardiff for us. It's easy to find and there are some shops nearby (Tesco 24hrs and the biggest M&S we have ever seen!).
From start to finish the staff were absolutely fantastic. Utterly polite, nothing too much troulbe, pleasant and willing to partake in light hearted banter with us even when they were stretched to the limit. The theatre experience was not West End but it was great for a clap and singalong when the wine gets flowing!.
We had a view over the lake and a big comfy bed (two singles pushed together but they didn't fall apart, even with us two bouncing on them all weekend ;) ) with a bath in the en-suite and tons of hot water. The room is clean and tidy.
There is a pool with a sauna and excellent gym facilities which are free.
the restaurant is great and it's a buffet style breakfast with proper sausage and bacon and help yourself - right up my alley!.
I have read some of the other reviews that slate this hotel. I can only assume these people are just born whingers who have to have absolutely everything perfect for £40 a night!. I read one that said they had sirens nearby, really!, in a big city there are sirens!. I suggest they go to Loch Ness instead.
To top it all, they had the rugby six nations on and we stuffed the Welsh. WOHOO.

To sum up:

For £75 a night we had D B&B, a show, gym, shops nearby, nice room (what are the whingers on about with all this "can't walk on the carpet" crap - bless), great staff and we stuffed the Welsh (needed to mention that again).

We'll be back.

Steve & Kaz.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMCopthorne, Genral Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 23 February 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in writing this review of our hotel following your recent visit. I was delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Your comments have cheered me up greatly and I appreciate everything you have commented on (with the exception of the rugby!).

Perhaps when wales play at home next year we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back and correcting the score.....

Many thanks for your comments again and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With warmest regards

David Faull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Novotel Cardiff Centre
Village Hotel Cardiff
Village Hotel Cardiff
#20 of 76 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,013 reviews

Been to Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd? Share your experiences!