“A good hotel overall... but a few negative points to be aware of!”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #29 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Southampton
“A good hotel overall... but a few negative points to be aware of!”
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel for 3 nights during the April Easter holiday for a few days away to relax and explore Cardiff.
Overall we were impressed with the hotel; however there are a number of things that we felt let it down.
We paid £48 per night excluding breakfast which was very good value for money. We decided not to pay the extra money for breakfast due to it being excessively expensive in our opinion. There is a large Tesco Extra over the road that does a great breakfast for a 5th of the price!!!
The rooms are clean with good facilities (complimentary toiletries, hairdryer, iron, coffee making etc- which should be expected with a 4* hotel. The swimming pool facilities were a nice bonus and are open until 9:30pm.
Unfortunately we experienced problems with the mattresses in our room- the mattresses are very old and dip in the middle. The dip in the middle was so bad that I was unable to sleep at all during our first night!!! We complained about this and the hotel did offer us a new room. However by this time we were already settled and unpacked and didn't want the upheaval of moving rooms. My partner slept on the ‘dipped’ side for the rest of our stay and managed to get a fair nights sleep but we felt the hotel should have offered to change the mattress in our room in order to improve our stay.
Our advice would be to thoroughly check the mattresses in your room BEFORE you unpack so that you easily change rooms if necessary!!

One further point to be aware of- the hotel is 4 miles from the centre of Cardiff (a £12 taxi ride away each way) There are no restaurants or pubs in the area and therefore a taxi is necessary if you want to explore Cardiff in the evening. We would not stay at this hotel again purely based on its distance from the centre of Cardiff.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsLisaRose
GMCopthorne, GM at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 19 April 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing this review following your stay at our hotel. May I apologise for the fact that your stay was not as relaxing as it should have been.

In recent weeks we have identified that some of our beds have 10% sagging. These are in the process of being replaced as they are located. Our bed supplier is also investigating this issue and it would appear that due to a softer comforter level that there is the impression of sagging. This is now being reviewed and replacements sourced for the company. I would stress that all our rooms have had new beds recently and that this is a fault with manufacturer which is currently being addressed.

In regard to the cost of our breakfast, I was a little confused as following comments from our guests we have reduced the offering to £8.95 or a discounted price of £7.50 when vouchers are purchased from Reception. I will ensure greater communication as we believe this price offers exceptional value for money with over 70 items available on the buffet.

Thank you for your comments. It is only through our guests feedback can we improve the service we provide.

With kindest regards

David Faull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Mid Glamorgan
Reviewed 13 April 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at the Copthorne hotel now. The first time was just by chance in the winter when we couldn't get home in the extreme snow. We were gutted we had to stay but the atmosphere was so friendly and the room we had looking over the iced-over lake was really warm and comfortable, we actually enjoyed ourselves. When the morning came and half the cars in the car park were stuck in snow, all of the managers were there with spades digging everyone out! We decided to go back last weekend for my birthday. We stayed on a theatre break. We saw a musical show, had a fab 3 course meal, stayed over and had breakfast all for £78, what a bargain!! The weather was great and we had a room again looking over the lake with the ducks. Yet again the staff were great, they couldn't do enough for us, the breakfast was fab and the free use of the gym and pool was a big plus for us. We plan on taking our daughter there in the summer to visit St. Fagan's (kids history museum of Welsh life) just down the road. I'm looking forward to it already. WHAT A GREAT HOTEL!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suez_and_Pete_91
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 15 April 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in writing this review of our hotel. I am delighted your stay was enjoyable.

It is always good to read reviews such as yours as often the hardwork and dedication of our team goes unrecognised. Please be assured I will share your fantastic comments with my team as I feel sure this will assist in motivating them further.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you very soon!

Best regards

Northampton
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Stayed for one night on our way to a long weekend break in Pembrokeshire. Hotel is very convenient to the motorway and with a retail park across the road there is plenty of options to eat if you prefer.
On arrival, we were greeted with a friendly smile and were checked in quickly. We did ask for a lake view room but were allocated a room on the corner of the car park and part of the lake....Though weren't that bothered as it was only one night and it was raining pretty hard to enjoy the lake side view. The room it self was clean but the furniture looked scruffy and outdated and wouldn't look out of place in the 1970's. The TV was also outdated and we also had to hunt for the tea/coffee tray that had been pushed to the back of the TV cabinet. There was only enough for one cup of tea or 2 cups of coffee. You would be fine if you like seven sugars in your cuppa and only 2 biscuits to share ! Bathroom was small and there were some ugly looking scum marks in the bath which didn't look too inviting and no matter how hard you scrubbed at them they wouldn't go away...Overall the hotel is good value and also dog friendly (we had our 2 Jack Russell's) which is a god-send these days. It's just needs a coat of fresh paint and updated room furniture /TV' as the rooms are stuck in past... Reception areas were welcoming and staff were very helpful....
We did not eat so cannot comment, but the location was perfect for us and we would stay again for sure......

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 7 April 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel following your recent visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We have recently purchased furniture that will be placed into our rooms and a planned project each month to address and refurbish case good items as well as redecorate the rooms whilst we are awaiting confirmation of a refurbishment from our Head Office.

It is extremely important to me that we have projects to focus on and I have recently spent time with my Property Maintenance Team to develop a plan going forward that will ensure that our guests will see we are constantly reviewing and updating our product.

I am glad we were able to look after you and your dogs as we have over 8 acres of land with a lovely lakeside setting that means they too can enjoy their stay!

I have addressed your comments regarding the supply of coffee and tea in the room with my Housekeeper to ensure that adequate supplies are standard throughout the hotel and reviewed as part of the Supervisor checks.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Kindest regards

Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I have stayed here several times in the past, most recently a couple of years ago when I felt the place had gone downhill. I am pleased to say the leisure facilities are back to where they were now which is one of the major plusses of the hotel. We had excellent value £48 for a twin room. Comfortable beds. The furniture is a little dated and perhaps this will be modernised over time. I had a breakfast which was fantastic, loads to choose from and reasonable value. Reception staff extremely helful. I am very impressive that management attend to this site and take constructive criticism on board. Will return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting this review and sparing the time in providing us with feedback following your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall.

We are currently updating our rooms with a planned project that will now be ongoing with a view to tidy the rooms up whilst awaiting our refurbishment.

I am pleased that our efforts in our Health Club have been recegnised and I am also pleased to announce that we are updating the equipment over the coming months following a planned investment by our Head Office.

Thank you for your loyalty we really do appreciate it and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With Kindest regards

England
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Stayed here for one of the show nights after a friend had told me about this hotel and the great time they had. The receptionist when we checked in did not seem very friendly, but this did not bother us, we were given our key card and told that the show would be at 7.30pm in the Glamorgan Suite. When we got to our room we could not get the key card to work so my husband went back to reception and was given a new card. When we got in the room it was lovely but we were disappointed to find we did not have a lake view which I had requested. I went back to reception to enquire about a lake view room and the receptionist (the same one we had seen previously) said that there was a request for a lake view! She told me that if we came back down to reception she would sort it out for us, so I had to go back to the room to tell my husband and then go back to reception AGAIN! Finally we were given a room on the 1st floor with a lake view which was lovely, the bed was very comfortable, liked the armchair in the room, loved the soft towels and thought the room was very nice. After settling in we went to use the swimming pool, sauna and steam room which was enjoyable. My husband used the jaccuzi, but came out after a couple of minutes as the chemicals were very strong in there, which stopped me from using it. We were also suprised that young children were allowed in the sauna and steam rooms (even with an adult) as usually we have found they are not allowed in under the age of 12yrs. Also found the changing rooms abit scruffy, and couldnt get my locker to work.
We went down about 7.15pm for the show but found the Glamorgan Suite all locked up, there was another couple waiting there as well, so we went to reception and were told the show was in another room which we were directed to. When we were told our table number we were VERY disappointed to find we were on a large table of 12 people, as this was not what we were expecting. I did not appreciate having to sit next to a stranger when I was looking forward to a quiet romantic meal with my husband. Trying to eat was difficult as we were too squashed and were trying not to stick our elbows into each other. If there is a possibility of the seating being like this I do think we should have been advised of this upon booking. The food was nice, not the best I have ever eaten but acceptable. Unfortunately there were 3 of us on our table who had to wait 5 minutes after everyone else for their soup due to some disaster? in the kitchen. We felt that the waiting staff seemed very disorganised and not sure what they were doing. The show itself was very good, very enjoyable and professional. Only problem there was people talking on another table until they were asked to be quiet by a member of staff. I think it would have been nice if we could have been given a menu for the meal, either upon check in or even on the table so we would have some idea of what we would be eating.
Breakfast the next morning was excellent, lovely choice of food, quality and quantity.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would return to this hotel, but would only stay for the show night if we could be guaranteed our own table.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank Allie.B
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 29 March 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in posting this resonse. I am glad that your stay was enjoyable overall and you enjoyed the show.

On busy nights we cannot seat tables individually due to the size of the rooms. The shows have been developed to get everyone involved and up dancing. I have spoken to my M&E Executive and Reservation's team to ensure this is communicated going forward.

Regarding the lake view request, I have spoken to my Front Office Manager to ensure that wherever possible requests are allocated prior to arrival, although I am sure you can appreciate we receive a large number of requests for this view and logistically this can be a challenge.

Thank you for your constructive comments, please be assured I have shared these with the team and appreciate your time as it is only through our guests feedback can we look to improve the service we provide.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards

devon
Reviewed 18 March 2010

We stayed at The Copthorne Hotel from 10th March to 13th March and were very impressed. We had upgraded to the Conoisseur Rooms which gave you a few extras. We had the use of the Conoisseur Lounge which had sofa's and armchairs, Internet Access, Coffee/Tea/Hot Chocolate machine, large jugs of Apple juice and orange juice and fresh milk in the fridge, biscuits, muffins, TV, newspapers and every morning there was a trolley with continental stlye breakfast selection. This Lounge was only for the use of Conoisseur grade residents. We made use of it everyday and most evenings to meet up and play cards with other members of our party. While we were there we appeared to be the only people using it.
OUR ROOM was very good. Huge 6ft wide bed, crispy clean linen, plenty of pillows. Bathrobes were provided. Ample supply of fluffy white hand and bath towels. We had a mini bar which was restocked daily with, chocolates, still and fizzy water, lemonade, coke and a small bottle of white wine. This came as part of the upgrade package. There was plenty of storage both in the wardrobe and bedside cabinets. Lots of hangers. Internet access was also available. Tea/coffee making facilities.
OUR BATHROOM was spotlessly clean ( I know you should expect this but we haven't always been that lucky in other hotels!) Shower was very good as was bath and always plenty of hot water. Lots of space round sink to put toilettries and a small shelf.( I know this might sound picky but have previously stayed places with no where to put things in bathroom.) Hooks on door to hang bathrobes.
BREAKFAST was very good with a wide selection and plenty of it. Served in the main restaurant which is very pleasant and looks out over a lake.
LEISURE FACILITIES were excellent. The pool was never overcrowded and was clean with chairs at one end to either sit and relax or put your towel if you took it in with you. Pool towels are provided. The Jacuzzi was very welcome at the end of the day and again never overcrowded. My husband and brother made use of the sauna and steam rooms and said both were excellent. Plenty of lockers provided. Showers in changing rooms were good as well with shampoo on the wall. The Gym was also well equipped there were always people there using the equipment when we went down for a swim but it was never overcrowded.
DINNER AND SHOW NIGHT. This is a special deal put on by the Hotel. It consists of a 3 course dinner and a show. We chose to do this on a Thursday and the show was West End Musicals. The meal was very good as was the show. You're served starter and main course then the first half of the show then in the interval you have dessert and coffee then the final part of show. We had a very enjoable evening and the 4 people who did the show were excellent.
The ONLY thing we found bad to say was the soundproofing is not that good. You can hear when the next room flushes the loo and the system is filling, if they are using their wardrobe because the doors slam shut, the heating coming on in the morning was loud as were the voices of some of the room attendants.
All in all we had an excellent stay and will most definately use the hotel again next time we are in Cardiff. It is only 10 minutes drive from Cardiff Bay and has the bonus that you don't have to pay to park as you do with many of the other hotels in Cardiff.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 25 March 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing your review of our hotel. I am delighted you had such a pleasant stay.
It is also good to see that you managed to make use of most of our facilities and that you found them all to your satisfaction.
The hotels has so much to offer and it was exceptionally pleasing to read your review.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best regards
devon
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Having booked tickets to see the X FACTOR finalists tour in Cardiff on 26th February, I then tried to book a hotel to stay overnight only to find the Six Nations was on at the same time and there wasn't a room to be found in the whole of Cardiff. Purely by chance I found the option of a 2 night stay, with theatre dining on the first night, at the Copthorne, which is about 4 miles outside Cardiff. As this seemed to be my only option I booked it. I'm SO glad I did! Admittedly it was a bit of a drive in & out of the centre but the staff on reception were really helpful and printed off directions for us. The hotel was really nice, lovely rooms, excellent facilities and very good breakfast.The dinner show we thought was a bonus, as we could easily have paid the £170 it cost for our stay just for bed and breakfast. The meal wasn't exceptional, but it was very nice and the group who performed the show were professional and entertaining and we had a most enjoyable evening. Every single member of staff was friendly and helpful and added to the enjoyment of our stay.
The next time we go to Cardiff we will definitely stay at the Copthorne again!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank twoofusDevon
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 2 March 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing this review of our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is always very pleasing to see comments such as yours as they reward us all for the hard work and dedication we put in to making all our guests stays special. It is also great to see that our packages in particular the theatre dining show is appreciated and enjoyable.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

With warmest regards