“Another fantastic night at Copthorne hotel Cardiff”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #31 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 15 May 2010

In the last two years i have stayed at this hotel approx twelve times.
In addtion to this i have organised six events here.
Over this time i have personally booked over 150 rooms for events including charity fund raising, birthday, anniversary and my uncle's wedding.
The rates we have always been given exellent and we always stay for the theatre night which is superb value for money. The rooms are exellent and the staff are always fantastic. I do not know of anyone in my party that has ever had reason to complain and everyone always has a good time.
The theatre group are "brilliant" and would highly reccommend the "motown" or "Rock and Roll show". On this particular occasion our thanks must go to the theatre group who made our latest "mini charity evening" a fantastic success.
"They are superb performers and true professionals".
It is fantastic to be able to offer a great evening at an exellent rate and at the same time raise funds for my charity "The Hat Foundation".
So if you are thinking of visting Cardiff take a tip from me and book the Copthorne Hotel.
Cavan A Sullivan

• Stayed: May 2010
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in reviewing our hotel following your recent stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Cardiff. I am delighted that you enjoyed your most recent visit.

I know your organisation extremely well and have been proud to support your excellent cause in the past and naturally will do so in the future. It is particularly pleasing to receive comments like yours as we work extremely hard to build trust with our guests and reward and recognise their loyalty. Recognition of our efforts makes our job totally satisfying and is the main reason for why we do what we do.

I have shared your comments with my team, secure in the knowledge that they will continue to motivate them as they strive for the excellence.

Thank you again for your comments and loyalty. I really do look forward to working with you very soon. Please continue the excellent work you do and if I can assist please do not hesitate to ask.

Reviewed 24 April 2010

Stayed at this hotel just by chance. found fantastic deal on-line.
Arrived at hotel after 3 hours of travelling, Reception is really lovely and looks like a country house. Staff are fantastic and cannot do too much for you. Catherine checked us in and was very chatty and obviously very proud of her job and seemed very knowledgeable.
Room was nice, although a little tired, very clean with a large window. Our room was on the end of the hotel and although we could see the lake we could also see the car park to the side. That really didn't matter, although when I stay next time I will ask for a view of the lake as waking up in the morning could have been even more special.
Bar; service really good and Scott was very chatty and friendly. prices are reasonable and the burger was the best I have every had.
Breakfast in the morning was lovely and so relaxing. I could have stayed all day as you overlook the lake and it is so relaxing!
Now I have found this hotel, we will be back with the kids as during the holidays we were told they run pantomine for the kids and special packages.
Did'nt use pool this time but looked good

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathis39
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for placing your review following your recent stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Cardiff. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

We are rightly proud of our team here at the hotel and it is particularly pleasing that you identified some of the front line staff and that they excelled in looking after you. Please be assured that I will pass on your kind words and feel sure that this will inspire our team to maintain the focus on our guests.

It was gratifying to read your full review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the summer.

Reviewed 19 April 2010

We stayed here for a family wedding at another hotel. 2 of our rooms were looking out at a bush and the carpark but that kept the noise down. 2 of our party had top floor rooms with a view but there was more traffic noise. We used the pool before breakfast, all free, clean and towels provided. The breakfast was a little expensive for many of us but there was the option of Marks & Spencer, Tescos or even McDonalds within walking distance. One night we arrived back late so 2 of us decided to eat in the Raglans restaurant, but the food was expensive (£13 for 3 sausages and some very pulpy mash). The sausages were a good flavour but had lumps of gristle and came with no veg. Advice is to eat at Pizza Hut across the road! we booked a taxi to our wedding through the reception desk but found we had paid twice the price of a direct booked taxi.
Overall though our stay was very pleasant and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank NorfolkScottie

Dear Guest

Thank you for placing your review following your recent stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Cardiff. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall.

Regarding your comments on the cost of breakfast, we have reviewed these prices and this is now available booked in advance for £7.50 or £8.95 on the day. I believe that this offers exceptional value for money and feel sure that you would agree given the setting of the Restaurant and number of items available.

For the past five years we have used a local taxi company that all use meters and are regulated by Cardiff and the Vale Councils to ensure that charges are in line with tariffs of the region. I am sorry that this was not the case and would be happy to discuss with the taxi company on your behalf if you would contact me directly.

We pride ourselves on our quality of food and have won many accreditations over the years. All our food is sourced locally and we make most of our menu items. The items you mentioned have now been removed from our menu as we replace our menu’s every two months to maximise the seasonality and quality. I will however ensure our Chef is aware of your comments to make certain we do not have any further repeats.

Thank you for your feedback. Please be assured we value our guests comments and wherever possible plan actions to ensure we are constantly moving forward with the service we provide.

Reviewed 17 April 2010

This hotel is very busy with conventions and looks rather tired. The staff were friendly but on a number of occasions not efficient. We had booked a suite which turned out to be a good size but be warned many of the suites are wrapped around a lift shaft and the noise is very intrusive, not least because the bedhead in our first room was actually on the lift shaft wall. We were moved to another suite the next day but were given a very poor extra bed for my daughter which was changed to a decent one after I complained and there was yet another lift (for staff) behind the bedroom wall. I was promised another move but came back in the evening to find out that it had not happened and no one knew why but it was too late as they were now full. The compromise was that staff were told not to use the lift when we were in the suite. The Hi speed internet connection in the room did not work, I did not bother to complain about that. We left a day early.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank jobberdave
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in writing this response following your stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Cardiff. I am sorry that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been.

I recall in the log that a guest requested the service lift not be used during their stay, although unfortunately there was no comment of the room move. I will investigate to ensure that issues as important as yours are addressed correctly going forward.

Thank you again for your review. Please be assured that I take your comments extremely seriously and value your feedback.

Reviewed 15 April 2010

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel for 3 nights during the April Easter holiday for a few days away to relax and explore Cardiff.
Overall we were impressed with the hotel; however there are a number of things that we felt let it down.
We paid £48 per night excluding breakfast which was very good value for money. We decided not to pay the extra money for breakfast due to it being excessively expensive in our opinion. There is a large Tesco Extra over the road that does a great breakfast for a 5th of the price!!!
The rooms are clean with good facilities (complimentary toiletries, hairdryer, iron, coffee making etc- which should be expected with a 4* hotel. The swimming pool facilities were a nice bonus and are open until 9:30pm.
Unfortunately we experienced problems with the mattresses in our room- the mattresses are very old and dip in the middle. The dip in the middle was so bad that I was unable to sleep at all during our first night!!! We complained about this and the hotel did offer us a new room. However by this time we were already settled and unpacked and didn't want the upheaval of moving rooms. My partner slept on the ‘dipped’ side for the rest of our stay and managed to get a fair nights sleep but we felt the hotel should have offered to change the mattress in our room in order to improve our stay.
Our advice would be to thoroughly check the mattresses in your room BEFORE you unpack so that you easily change rooms if necessary!!

One further point to be aware of- the hotel is 4 miles from the centre of Cardiff (a £12 taxi ride away each way) There are no restaurants or pubs in the area and therefore a taxi is necessary if you want to explore Cardiff in the evening. We would not stay at this hotel again purely based on its distance from the centre of Cardiff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsLisaRose
GMCopthorne, GM at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing this review following your stay at our hotel. May I apologise for the fact that your stay was not as relaxing as it should have been.

In recent weeks we have identified that some of our beds have 10% sagging. These are in the process of being replaced as they are located. Our bed supplier is also investigating this issue and it would appear that due to a softer comforter level that there is the impression of sagging. This is now being reviewed and replacements sourced for the company. I would stress that all our rooms have had new beds recently and that this is a fault with manufacturer which is currently being addressed.

In regard to the cost of our breakfast, I was a little confused as following comments from our guests we have reduced the offering to £8.95 or a discounted price of £7.50 when vouchers are purchased from Reception. I will ensure greater communication as we believe this price offers exceptional value for money with over 70 items available on the buffet.

Thank you for your comments. It is only through our guests feedback can we improve the service we provide.

Reviewed 13 April 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at the Copthorne hotel now. The first time was just by chance in the winter when we couldn't get home in the extreme snow. We were gutted we had to stay but the atmosphere was so friendly and the room we had looking over the iced-over lake was really warm and comfortable, we actually enjoyed ourselves. When the morning came and half the cars in the car park were stuck in snow, all of the managers were there with spades digging everyone out! We decided to go back last weekend for my birthday. We stayed on a theatre break. We saw a musical show, had a fab 3 course meal, stayed over and had breakfast all for £78, what a bargain!! The weather was great and we had a room again looking over the lake with the ducks. Yet again the staff were great, they couldn't do enough for us, the breakfast was fab and the free use of the gym and pool was a big plus for us. We plan on taking our daughter there in the summer to visit St. Fagan's (kids history museum of Welsh life) just down the road. I'm looking forward to it already. WHAT A GREAT HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suez_and_Pete_91
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in writing this review of our hotel. I am delighted your stay was enjoyable.

It is always good to read reviews such as yours as often the hardwork and dedication of our team goes unrecognised. Please be assured I will share your fantastic comments with my team as I feel sure this will assist in motivating them further.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you very soon!

Best regards

Reviewed 6 April 2010

Stayed for one night on our way to a long weekend break in Pembrokeshire. Hotel is very convenient to the motorway and with a retail park across the road there is plenty of options to eat if you prefer.
On arrival, we were greeted with a friendly smile and were checked in quickly. We did ask for a lake view room but were allocated a room on the corner of the car park and part of the lake....Though weren't that bothered as it was only one night and it was raining pretty hard to enjoy the lake side view. The room it self was clean but the furniture looked scruffy and outdated and wouldn't look out of place in the 1970's. The TV was also outdated and we also had to hunt for the tea/coffee tray that had been pushed to the back of the TV cabinet. There was only enough for one cup of tea or 2 cups of coffee. You would be fine if you like seven sugars in your cuppa and only 2 biscuits to share ! Bathroom was small and there were some ugly looking scum marks in the bath which didn't look too inviting and no matter how hard you scrubbed at them they wouldn't go away...Overall the hotel is good value and also dog friendly (we had our 2 Jack Russell's) which is a god-send these days. It's just needs a coat of fresh paint and updated room furniture /TV' as the rooms are stuck in past... Reception areas were welcoming and staff were very helpful....
We did not eat so cannot comment, but the location was perfect for us and we would stay again for sure......

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel following your recent visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We have recently purchased furniture that will be placed into our rooms and a planned project each month to address and refurbish case good items as well as redecorate the rooms whilst we are awaiting confirmation of a refurbishment from our Head Office.

It is extremely important to me that we have projects to focus on and I have recently spent time with my Property Maintenance Team to develop a plan going forward that will ensure that our guests will see we are constantly reviewing and updating our product.

I am glad we were able to look after you and your dogs as we have over 8 acres of land with a lovely lakeside setting that means they too can enjoy their stay!

I have addressed your comments regarding the supply of coffee and tea in the room with my Housekeeper to ensure that adequate supplies are standard throughout the hotel and reviewed as part of the Supervisor checks.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Kindest regards