“Customer Service taken to a new level”

Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd
Ranked #29 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Navesink, New Jersey
“Customer Service taken to a new level”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed at the Copthorne in early July as part of a group attending a seminar at Cardiff University. The staff were absolutely welcoming and extremely helpful; the desk clerks took a great deal of time researching train schedules and helping plan the next leg of our trip to Glastonbury, England. Food was well prepared and delicious, well served, location was lovely, facing a lake where we enjoyed watching the ducks and hiking around the area. It was an absolutely perfect visit, we have nothing but praise for the staff.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Florie
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for placing this review. I am delighted you had such a pleasant stay with us.

Our team here is excellent and our biggest asset. It is very gratifying to read such comments regarding them as I know that all their hard work and dedication really does pay off and your comments will go a very long way in maintaining those standards and motivating the team further.

I hope you had a safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back here at the Copthorne Cardiff soon.

David
David Faull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Frisco, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

I requested a rate quote that included room, VAT and breakfast. They sent their quote by return e-mail and I then booked our stay. Upon checkout they not only charged the price they had quoted but also added VAT which I had requested to be included in their quote.
I later complained about this but they would not make an adjustment. This hotel used deceptive tactics with me and for this reason I would not recommend you stay with them.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank bdp8199
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 28 June 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for placing this review following your recent stay. I am sorry that your stay has been marred in this way.

All our prices are quoted without VAT as our policy in Europe dictate this. Many of our guests are used to this procedure as it is very common in London and across the world. I will feed your comments back to our Revenue Department as this is the first such comment I have received to allow them to be able to make an informed decision on this policy going forward.

I feel sure that if this issue had been brought to my attention or that of one of my Duty Managers we could have resolved the issue as we pride ourselves on the professional and friendly attitude of our team here. Clearly we have left you with a poor impression of the hotel which proves that we could certainly have done better.

Thank you for your feedback, whilst I do not like receiving negative comments they are essential if we are to continually monitor and improve the service we provide. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

David Faull

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

peterborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

We got this break on Laterooms for a really good price, if we had to pay the full price for the hotel room we would of been very disappointed. The rates for this hotel started at £195.00 per night per room and this was not a good room for this price. The beds were uncomfortable as they had pushed two single beds together to create the double so whenever you rolled over you felt the ridge in the bed. Due to the size of the bed the duvet didn't fit either.

The facilities of the hotel were very good, although the gym was not of a good standard, the pool, spa and steam rooms were very relaxing. The decor was very nice throughout the hotel although the rooms could of done with a refurbish very old fashioned.

We didnt eat in the hotel due to the prices but Cardiff Bay was 6 miles down the road and was fantastic for bars and restaurants. The shopping in Cardiff is also fantastic so if you can get this hotel for a cheap price then it is definately worth it anymore than £70.00 per night then you would be better off staying in a premier inn.

1 Thank boo02
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 27 July 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for placing this review. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

In recent months we have experienced an issue with our beds, which is in the process of being addressed with the manufacturer. All the faulty beds have been replaced and we are working hard to address any new issues that arise. Our head office is also in the process of sourcing new beds to remove the problem going forward.

Three weeks ago I ordered new equipment for the gym and we expect this to arrive late September and at which time the gym will receive a light refurbishment to compliment the new equipment. Hopefully this will ensure the gym matches the rest of the facilities.

I have been working hard with our senior management team to ensure our planned refurbishment program starts as soon as possible. Unfortunately due to the climate this will probably be phased. Please be assured that this issue is very high on our agenda and will certainly remain my main priority.

Thank you again for placing this review. Whilst I do not like receiving negative comments, I see them as extremely important if we are to consistently improve the service we provide.

Kind Regards

Bognor Regis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

Hotel is in an ideal place to get to Cardfiff. Even though it was just off the motorway, our room wasn't particularly affected by traffic noise. The room itself was very nice, but where two single beds had been zipped together to make a king size bed, one half of the bed was very uncomfortable and seem to dip badly. Also, unfortunately, night 2 and 3 were spoilt by extremely noisy people above us who didn't seem to care about other guests. The third morning we were woken up at 4.50am by a couple arguing. However this really wasn't the hotel's fault. We would recommend this hotel, if only for the pleasant staff and its location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 18 June 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for placing this review following your stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Cardiff. I am delighted that you found our team friendly and will pass on your words of encouragement.

I am sorry that you stay was marred by other guests and have instructed my Night Manager to ensure that we increase our security walks around the hotel in order to prevent this happening in the future.

Thank you for sparing the time and trouble in reviewing us and we hope to welcome you back soon!

west midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

Hade a room overlooking lake. Room was a good size and well decorated. Bathroom was also spacious. Stafff friendly and efficient. It's a Swing Thing Theatre Show excellent. and very professional. Audio system good with individual radio mikes. The 3 course meal with the show very good and served hot.. Breakfast buffet had a good choice and the hot food was in a separate room which cut down the congestion you can sometimes get. Leisure facillites good with a hot jacuzzi. It was nice sitting outside having a drink overlookiing the lake. Would certainly go back.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 15 June 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for placing this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is good to see that you had a chance to use many of our facilities and take advantage of the theatre offer. We are very proud of the dinner shows and we are busy planning next years already.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2010

We stayed for four nights. The room was fine, nice and light and we could see our car easily which was reassuring. Good to know that car parking is free. The room has a fridge which you can stock yourself. The bathroom was well fitted out though the surface of the bath itself needs replacing. Nice two single beds which were comfortable, with white covered duvets and extra pillow in the wardrobe. Coffee/tea etc left every day. The breakfast was really good - a hot buffet so you could choose what you wanted - I would suggest giving up serving the guests coffee at the table, I'd far rather fetch it myself than wait. For the evening meal we didn't dine in as we wanted to get out and about- there is a reasonable restaurant upstairs at M & S over the road if you are tired or don't have a car. The leisure centre is small but well kitted out. Hotel is located at the roundabout at Culverhouse Cross, a large out of town shopping area but it is so easy to get in to Cardiff central and the trip to Cardiff Bay was 10 minutes where you can park in a multi story right by the restaurants. Service was excellent. The one downside was the issue of internet access - no clear guidance in the room regarding rates, availability etc which really surprised me.

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Cardiff is a fantastic City with so much to do and see. It is good that you were able to use the hotel as a base for your explorations and found all attractions only a short distance away.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and hope that next time you stay we can demonstrate our fantastic dinner menu, which changes every two months to ensure the very freshest local produce. In recent years we have won many accreditations and enjoy two rossettes.

Internet access is currently being reviewed by the company and we are hoping that later this year we will be able to offer Wi Fi throughout the hotel as well as fixed broadband connections. I will however review the literature in rooms to ensure we communicate our services effectively.

Many thanks for sparing the time in reviewing us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Gold Coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

The hotel looked lovely and was clean. The staff were friendly enough but the king size bed was two singles pushed together - both were different heights and there was a leg missing on one of them so it sloped to the outside. Very uncomfortable night and to be honest the staff weren't that bothered - just said they have to use single beds to reconfigure the rooms as required.
Probably wouldn't rush to stay there again

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephGoldCoast
GMCopthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd, responded to this review, 11 June 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time in reviewing our hotel following your recent stay here at the Copthorne Hotel Cardiff. I am sorry that you had a problem with your bed on this occasion.

I was pleased that you found the hotel clean and the staff friendly and will certainly pass on your praise as well as your concerns as staff as recognition is extremely important to us and rewarding excellence is as important as reviewing standards.

In recent months we have implemented a program for identifying damaged beds as we have experienced some faulty beds which are sagging as a result of a manufacturer fault. This is ongoing and replacements are being received in order to address this problem going forward, although a permanent solution is still being investigated by our Head Office. These beds were purchased recently and as such still within their warranty, it would appear that the issues are isolated to our hotel.

In relation to our beds being singles; many hotel chains operate the same system very successfully and ordinarily this would not have been a problem if there had not been a fault with the mattress. This matter is also being reviewed as previously stated. I was disappointed with the response of my team when you addressed this and as a result I have instructed my Front Office Manager to ensure that the team are made aware of your comments to ensure no repeats.

Thank you for completing this review, whilst I do not like receiving negative comments I do accept that they are essential if we are to improve the service we provide and appreciate this opportunity.

I do hope that you will return to the hotel soon and that we can fully restore your faith in us and prove that your experience is the exception rather than the rule.

Kindest regards

David Faull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Novotel Cardiff Centre
Village Hotel Cardiff
Village Hotel Cardiff
#18 of 76 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,095 reviews

Been to Copthorne Hotel Cardiff-Caerdydd? Share your experiences!