“Better than expected”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We were booked into the Angel Hotel via a deal we had booked via a regular internet site we use. 1 night with 3 course meal and bottle of wine and breakfast next day. On booking in we came a little early and had a bit of a problem with parking, their car park is very small so would advise looking elswhere if need be, there are plenty because the Milenium Stadium is more or less opposite! The girl on reception helped us to park on their car park and also another member of staff came out to advise also. We went for walk around, Cardiff Castle is directly opposite so great location. We booked in a little later and the room looked out onto the car park not at the front where the castle was but for one night it definately didn't matter at all. The room was reasonable the bed was a bit small just usual double but okay. Bathroom was a good size but the shower was a bit on the "slow side" not enough "oomph" but the water was hot. We went down to dinner and the food was really good, we chose pate for starter which was 8/10 we then chose lamb for the main ( being in Wales you have got to try the Welsh lamb) lol! 9/10 we then chose the cheesecake that was wonderful it was "proper cheesecake in every sense of the word". The following morning breakfast was great ;usual buffet style but good, we then booked out. The staff were very professional and courteous.
We went over to Cardiff Castle and had the tour; really worth paying the little extra for. The bonus was we were right opposite Bute Park and the staff advised us about the water taxi that took us down to Cardiff Bay for the afternoon for £3 each way: brill end to lovely weekend in Cardiff! Would definately go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,712)

Reviewed 30 June 2012

The hotel looks impressive on first look with chandeliers in reception and a generally nice ground floor area. The reception staff were fantastic and were keen to do whatever they could to help us. My room was OK, clean and nicely decorated although the bathroom smelled like damp which was not pleasant! I thought that the room and hotel was more like a 3* than a 4* though with there being general 'un-niceties' relating to general upkeep of the corridors and rooms, for example a lot of the doors were really dented suggesting years of having linnen trollies banged through them.

I also had an issue with the way the bedroom lights were electronically hooked up - there is no simple way for me to explain how they worked but basically one switch worked two lights and if you turned one off at its own switch (e.g. bedside) you would still have to manually turn the hallway light off by getting back out of bed. When you did this, the bedside lamp would then not work if you flicked its switch again.

I didn't think the hotel was the easiest to get around. There were two lifts which took ages to arrive and the stairs seemed to go from the ground floor to the first floor and then stopped! I eventually found the stairs leading further up (behind the mirrored doors) but they could have been signposted.

Location wise it was a 10 minute walk from the train station and then about the same or just less to get into town. The hotel is right across the road from Cardiff castle if you wanted to visit there too.

Room Tip: I would go for the first floor if you can so you don't have to wait ages for the lift.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed for 3 nights recently in June and were upgraded to a large room overlooking the castle. The room was somewhat dated in style but immaculately clean and with a very good 5' comfortable modern bed. My husband and I had the best 3 nights sleep since we had arrived in Wales 10 days earlier. The staff were very helpful and cheerful, and breakfast in the morning, again, was of a very good standard. The hotel is centrally located for shopping, restaurants, the castle and the "bendy bus" stop for Cardiff Bay is right outside. Oh, and free wifi was very useful.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Having stayed at The Angel several times in the past (some 20+ years ago) I was really looking forward to this visit to Cardiff. When we arrived I made the great mistake of greeting the young lady on Reception in Welsh. She looked at me absolutely blankly and then went on to demonstrate that her ability to 'spik Eengleesh' was not particularly good either. The first room we were allocated was small, not particularly clean and with a very steeply sloping ceiling. I managed to bang my head within 20 mins. (I am 5'8 and my husband is 6'4). We went down to reception and I started to ask whether they issued guests with hard hats but this was obviously a step too far for the young lady's grasp of Eengleesh. To be fair after much debate with a colleague we were offered another room with better headroom. When we went into the bathroom we found used towels in the bath and a forgotten nightie behind the bathroom door. The room had obviously not been cleaned and although they tidied the bathroom while we were at dinner it later became obvious that the towels were merely folded and hung on the towel rail as, on using them the next morning, I found some stains (make-up??) on one. Looking back I can only presume that we slept in someone else's sheets for two nights. Dinner was soso. My lamb (an extra £3) was cooked somewhere between pink and very well cooked and therefore chewy.
My husband ate Welsh Fishermans Stew. At the time he mentioned that it was luke warm and definately suffered for this later. He spent the night in the bathroom!! Breakfast the next day was OK but they kept running out of everything and one had to wait until more was produced. The next night we ate in The Mango House (next door to The Angel) and had an excellent meal. When we were checking out a receptionist asked if we had enjoyed our stay and we told her about the violent stomach problem caused by the fish stew. We were reprimanded for not bringing to the Chef's attention immediately and asked to sit down and complete a form. As we were pushed for time we declined to do this. The public areas are grubby (dusty mirrors, sticky fingermarks on paintwork etc.) and how this place manages to maintain 4* status is an absolute mystery. Guests should think twice before booking and BEWARE the Welsh Fishermans Stew unless you are desperate to lose weight.

1  Thank Rael H
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed at the angel hotel cardiff in april,it is in need of some serious tlc,the carpet in our room was thread bare,and the whole room was quite shabby,On the plus side the food was excellent the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My husband and I I stayed two nights at the Angel Hotel in Cardiff and we were not very impressed...it does not meet the standard of a four star hotel that you would expect!
We had to ask the reception to change room after the first night because it was just too dirty...there was a dead insect squashed on the bathroom door and spider webs a bit everywhere...stainded beadsheets...tired deco...all the electrical appliances were due to be tasted...over a year ago!!! Breakfast was ok but I expect better from Barcelo...the receptionist though were very nice and helpfull. We will not return to this hotel, however...cleanleness first of all!!

Room Tip: Ask for a veiw of the castle
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Chose to stay in Cardiff the night before an exam, decided on the Angel as it was a really good price, easy to get to and had free wi-fi through out the hotel. It is in need of updating but was spotlessly clean and the staff were exceptional. Having stayed at the Plaza and Hilton before the staff at the Angel could teach them a thing or to for sure! Breakfast was extensive however the delicious looking fresh mushrooms didn't taste nice at all which was a shame. Bed was so comfy too.

Overall excellent value for money, would not choose for luxury but in such a busy and vibrant city, who wants to stay in the hotel all day anyway? I hope the update in progress is sympathetic to the amazing building.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo