“Not a 4 star hotel”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed at the Angel Hotel Cardiff on the 16th November 2012 and would like to express how unsatisfactory I found my stay.

You have the hotel advertised as 4 star, however I unfortunately experienced two different rooms in your hotel and neither of them made the bar.

The first room that I was shown to unfortunately had a broken shower. The bath panel was cracked and worn and the general appearance of the whole room was shabby and in ill repair.

When I tried calling reception there was no reply. Three times I called down with no joy and in the end my boyfriend had to go down to make the complaint.

Following a 15 minute wait we were then shown to another room (228). The bathroom in this room thankfully was a great improvement. However, the actual room itself was nothing short of appalling for a 4 star hotel. The carpet was threadbare, there was a broken pain of glass in the window and the air conditioning unit was not working.

Overall, I was deeply disappointed with the whole experience and while I feel your hotel may have once been 4 star rated, at this current time a budget hotel is more appealing than the Angel Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Kate_Jones85

Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

We booked our room as a late deal - after reading some reviews we were slightly apprehensive.
The hotel is lovely and the staff are extremely helpful.
Our room was huge. We didn't have a view just bars on the window. The room could do with a bit of redecoration but is clean there were a few long black hairs around (I'm blonde) but nothing over the top.
The bed was very comfortable apart from the pillows, I woke with a bad neck. All through the night there was a constant drone from one of the fans outside of the window so it did disturb you in the night.
But the overall experience was great and not everyone is going to have a fan outside there room. The room offered you everything you could need with trouser press and ironing board amongst just a few. So I would recommend this hotel to any one wanting to experience the heights of Cardiff and an excellent place if your going to the rugby

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 16 November 2012

it makes a change to stay in a hotel where the staff are so welcoming from front desk onwards. the food,the service and the rooms are all first rate, I really enjoyed the stay and have already booked my next visit as it's central position is ideal to travel around Cardiff.

Room Tip: Rear facing as this side is quiter
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2012

we had a two night stop over @ the angel oct 5th, havin stayed at various 4 star hotels in the city, i can honestly say i will now only stay at this hotel when i visit cardiff! from the reception staff ( carl in particular, who realy doesnt stop smilin!) to the restaurant staff and maids were all very polite and charming. seldom have i seen such staff appear to be enjoyin what they are doing! our room was large, comfortable,and being that the hotel is at one of the busiest junctions in the city we could hardly hear any noise! treat yoursef to breakfast in bed @ a small charge it is well worth it! the only downside was that we had to leave! but we will definately be back to the angel, and a big thank you to all staff for a very enjoyable stay!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Firstly, I wanted to rate this hotel as Good but the rating system has 'Average' followed by 'Very Good' so I was stuck.

When I rang the hotel to book, the reception girl did not clearly state that the hotel had its own car park, which was a short distance away at, effectively the rear of the hotel. This caused me some anxious moments as I tried to find the place in the nightmare of Cardiffs streets and its ridiculous number of traffic lights.

Anyway, my room was clean and tidy, was a bit surprised to see a sash-window, most are double glazed now, and I did not really manage to figure out the room lights.

Had an evening meal, delightfully served by Lina, service and food were excellent but watch the prices on beer and spirits as a small Becks and Tia Maria coffee together were nearly ten pounds. I can get a pack of six Becks for £5.50 in my local Tescos!

Very quiet night but not sure if this might have been due to less guests than normal? Breakfast next morning, help-yourself was Ok but did'nt see any scrambled egg on offer.

One stupid thing I did was leave my toiletries bag in the room when I left but the next I phoned and the very helpful house-keeping lady mailed it back to me straightaway - thank you!

I would probably stay here again as I know the place now and it is centrally located.

Room Tip: Rear of the hotel is probably quieter as it look out on the hotel car park which does not have a lot...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2012

we spent three nights on room only basis recently so cannot comment on food during this visit. We love the location and our room overlooked Bute Park and the Castle - perfect. Despite the busy road, we had undisturbed nights in a very comfortable room. We are not fans of the big modern hotels so always enjoy our stay at the Angel. It does need some upgrading and in a building this size, this needs to be continuous. In particular, the lounge area and toilets on the ground floor should be upgraded as a matter of priority!

Room Tip: some of the standard rooms are a bit cramped but all very clean and comfortable
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kay H
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed at the Angel Hotel in Cardiff on a Friday in October this year. The location is perfect for people using public transport. It is an easy 15 min. walk from the Central Railroad Station and the buses stop right outside the hotel . Best of all it is easy to walk to the main museums and even to go to concerts. Our room was quiet, very large , and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful and breakfast was large, varied, and delicious. I only wished that we could stay longer and I recommend it very highly. It was an exceptionally good value the night we were there.

Room Tip: Our room was not on the front of the hotel and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple