“Location, location”

Ranked #27 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Location, location”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This hotel wasprobably among the best in a bygone era, and it still has that feeling of grandness and character as you enter.
It's primary value is location - just across the road on one stree to the castle, and just across the road on the other street and you are at the Millenium stadium (- incredible for a rugby weekend).
And just a few minutes walk to the pedestrian shopping precinct. or the central station
The hotel itself was comortable - even a comfortable arm chair for a relaxing hot drink before bed,
The staff were very welcoming and helpful.
the hotel offered free Wifi which was quite speedy.
the breakfast was very adequate and about the same price as I paid at a cafe just down the road.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank wanderer574

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Greek first
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I have stayed at three other hotels in Cardiff over the last few years while visiting my son at college, and this was undoubtedly the most comfortable and welcoming. The room was spotless and everything worked. The car parking was a great bonus and well worth the cost. I wish I had tried the Angel Hotel three years ago!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Charlotte T
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed just one night at the Angel. Our room was great and well furnished, only problem however was it became extremely hot during the night (air con controls didn't seem to work). The hotel itself is lovely and full of character. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. Only disappointment before we left was the fact that leaving the front door open meant a huge draft coming into the breakfast area...I did mention this to a member of staff but the doors still weren't closed.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on the 9th November for a night out with friends and was really pleased with the level of service we received,
Check in was efficient and the management trainee Tom on reception was extremely helpful, my room was amazing 306 and had a gorgeous view over looking the castle, the television was a new flat screen and had most channels including radio! This was especially nice while getting ready.
Although our room didnt have an ironing board one was brought to my room within 20 minutes with an apology for it taking so long ..I work in a hotel and see this as quick service considering the time of day I asked for it!
The security of the hotel at night is amazing with the doors being locked after 22:45 you need to provide your room key to gain access from the friendly night staff.
Although I wasn't really feeling breakfast in the morning (bad hangover) I did go down with my roomie and we were welcomed warmly by the lady covering the restaurant entrance also taking an interest in which hotel I came from!
Breakfast buffet was replenished quickly and again I was impressed with the level of service from restaurant and bar staff

I have booked again for my birthday night out in January and hope the level of service remains the same!
Well done to the general manager for the staff overhaul you guys have really outdone yourselves!!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Wales
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed at the Angel Hotel Cardiff on the 16th November 2012 and would like to express how unsatisfactory I found my stay.

You have the hotel advertised as 4 star, however I unfortunately experienced two different rooms in your hotel and neither of them made the bar.

The first room that I was shown to unfortunately had a broken shower. The bath panel was cracked and worn and the general appearance of the whole room was shabby and in ill repair.

When I tried calling reception there was no reply. Three times I called down with no joy and in the end my boyfriend had to go down to make the complaint.

Following a 15 minute wait we were then shown to another room (228). The bathroom in this room thankfully was a great improvement. However, the actual room itself was nothing short of appalling for a 4 star hotel. The carpet was threadbare, there was a broken pain of glass in the window and the air conditioning unit was not working.

Overall, I was deeply disappointed with the whole experience and while I feel your hotel may have once been 4 star rated, at this current time a budget hotel is more appealing than the Angel Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Kate_Jones85

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

We booked our room as a late deal - after reading some reviews we were slightly apprehensive.
The hotel is lovely and the staff are extremely helpful.
Our room was huge. We didn't have a view just bars on the window. The room could do with a bit of redecoration but is clean there were a few long black hairs around (I'm blonde) but nothing over the top.
The bed was very comfortable apart from the pillows, I woke with a bad neck. All through the night there was a constant drone from one of the fans outside of the window so it did disturb you in the night.
But the overall experience was great and not everyone is going to have a fan outside there room. The room offered you everything you could need with trouser press and ironing board amongst just a few. So I would recommend this hotel to any one wanting to experience the heights of Cardiff and an excellent place if your going to the rugby

• Stayed November 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

it makes a change to stay in a hotel where the staff are so welcoming from front desk onwards. the food,the service and the rooms are all first rate, I really enjoyed the stay and have already booked my next visit as it's central position is ideal to travel around Cardiff.

Room Tip: Rear facing as this side is quiter