“Gorgeous hotel at an excellent location”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The hotel is just opposite to the Cardiff Castle and very close to the high street. Therefore, in addition to the hotel's restaurant, you have no short of restaurants, cafes, pubs and ATMs.The railway station and the central bus station are about 10-minute walk away. The hotel has gorgeous interiors and rooms very clean and spacious. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet is sumptuous and offers a good variety of food.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NirupamBiswas
joanne m, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Angel Hotel

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Arrived on a busy Saturday morning in Cardiff to be greeted to the calm and serene hotel.
I was checked in by a charming man who could not do enough for me ....He chatted to me and made me feel relaxed and instantly at ease. His name was Samuel....what a rare thing these days to be treated with so much dignity.....Shown to my room,which was a nostalgic renovated room that had lost none of its character.The bed was marvellous even for a fussy sleeper like myself.
Breakfast again was a pleasure ...a special thank you to the waitress for being so patient(sorry forgot name) all in all a fantastic nights stay with real old fashioned courtesy.
Will return to this jewel in the crown accommodation .

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary J

Thank you very much for your great feedback.

I'm delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the furture.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Stayed for an overnight stay to meet up with some friends in town on 3rd March.
Got a really good value deal online. Lovely hotel from the outside and the interior is simply GORGEOUS when you walk in! Lots of lovely little places to sit for a drink and not too noisy.
Check-in was easy and quick, the staff was ULTRA friendly (couldn't do enough for me). The lift was tiny (I'm sure it was difficult to put a lift into such a old residence) and the corridor on the walk to the room was a bit dated.
The room was nice and modern with all the usual facilities. Shower was excellent, and bathroom well equipped with everything. Bed was also comfortable. Two bad points, (if you can call them that) The bedroom was quite small, it felt like a bit of a squeeze to get in through the hallway when the wardrobe was immediately inside the door! And when the bathroom door was open it covered half the entrance to the corridor from the bedroom. The other was there is no way to get to the car park unless you go outside and walk all the way around the side, you'd think they would have some way through the hotel to get to the car park. Didn't have breakfast there so can't comment on that. Overall, for value and location, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank morritraveller

Thank you for your feedback.

I have taken note of your comments and will take into consideration when we start the refurbishment of the bedrooms.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Arrived on the morning of 17th February about four hours too early for check in, I had been staying in another hotel around the corner until then but I was greeted by lovely reception staff who took my case, issued a receipt and told me to pop back later. Now sorted I continued my Cardiff break and headed for a lunch venue.

On returning to the hotel about 3pm I was greeted warmly again by the guy in reception who'd sorted me so politely and efficiently earlier, room allocated off I poddled to my room in this fantastically elegant, proper hotel in the heart of Cardiff positioned almost adjacent and betwixt and between The Millennium Stadium and Cardiff Castle, what a lovely, lovely position. If you watched Casualty last week you would have seen it in all it's splendour, as this was the start point for "The Holby Half Marathon" and before you ask, no, walking to the lift behind reception is about as much exercise as I need or require nowadays.

Well I arrived at my room, I had been upgraded and this was an obviously newly fitted out room, really nice, so I proceeded to unpack for my four night stay, only to find out later that I had a faulty safe and had to be allocated another room.

The other receptionist who dealt with this was equally as delightful as the previous one. He showed me a number of rooms, "we'll keep going until we find one that suits you sir", this included much to the amusement of us both, another room with a faulty safe and one with no safe at all.

I settled eventually settled on a lovely "L" shaped room overlooking Cardiff Castle even nicer than the one I use in my Glasgow Hotel retreat, complete with a settee, armchairs, two large plasma screens and desk/storage space galore.

He then proceeded to be my "Mr Shifta" and helped me move my belongings to my temporary Cardiff home for the next four nights, I was delighted with this well appointed room, even though it wasn't as "modern" as the previous one, it was what I deem a proper "old fashioned room" very clean and full of history.

The next morning I arrived at the breakfast room to be greeted by a gentle giant of a man, polite and helpful to a fault, he escorted me to my table and went to get me a pot of delightfully restorative breakfast tea, in the distance I could see the blonde waitress I had also encountered before, I then proceeded to help myself to the bounteous offerings of the hot and cold buffet area.

This is where this hotel let's itself down (hot breakfast buffet) although I've stayed here before and complained before and been promised "things will improve" by the manager, things remain the same, the "fried eggs" they're having a giraffe here surely, who cooks these? Who supervises and allows these to be placed in front of diners? I have this naughty vision in the back of my mind of a retired wee chef from The Midlands, Fort Dunlop to be precise, they have more in common with a joke rubber Frisbee than with a fried hens egg, I'm sure if you knocked one accidentally off your plate onto the floor, it would bounce back between you rashers in an instant, and a soft yolk is I assure you as rare as a pork pie at a orthodox barmitzvah.

The "white toasting bread" ? Who produces such ghastly bread? Why buy such awfulness, for let's be fair here, where hotels are concerned, "the breakfast" is one of your last memories of a hotel before you check out, why compromise your hotels reputation to save a cent or two, false, false economy.

These are my two major ongoing complaints about this hotel and it's a shame, it's a shame because the front of house staff, the breakfast waiter and waitress are a delight, a delight and an example to all who aspire to be in the hospitality industry, oh sorry, I should also mention here “the handyman” who came within 3 minutes of notification of my safe problem, he was also very helpful, friendly and professional.

You see, this is a lovely, lovely hotel in the heart of Cardiff, magnificent in its grandeur in some respects. You should visit even if to just stop and stare at the magnificent central staircase, behold it, close your eyes and imagine generations of guests from as far back as the nineteenth century, ascending and descending in all their Victorian, Edwardian elegance, imagine who, imagine why, imagine when, imagine it during the world wars, imagine anything you wish you will not be disappointed, there is an enigmatic magnetism here, try it, pack your best bib and tucker, have your photograph taken in the dead of nite when all those above are asleep in their rooms, video it as you pass through reception and ascend to the first floor, you can always get a lift later if your knackered, but do experience it, you won't regret it, because the memory will live with you forever.

I will visit again if only to see if the management of this hotel can live up to the magnificence of the history, the loveliness of the old architecture and the utter professionalism of its staff.

I have now found another hotel that I intend to use from time to time, still in the middle of Cardiff, where they do fry eggs as any self respecting British breakfast eater would adore.

The Angel deserves visiting, the staff deserve appreciation for just being superb at their jobs, so come on “Barcelo Hotels” (or whomever the hotel belongs to today) stop the penny pinching and come out fighting in the 21st century. Your customers will love it, just show pride and offer as your staff do in their dealings with us, quality.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank tap4scott

Thank you very much for your feedback.

The Angel hotel is now part of the Puma hotels Collection.

I have taken note of your comments and have many plans underway to improve our overall service, as it is never our intention for guests to leave unhappy.

we look forward to welcoming you back in the future so that we can have the opporutnity to deliver a much more enjoyable expereince.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Lovely entrance and very good service at Reception. After that, it went down hill. We were given the last room at the end of a long corridor. The windows were covered in unironed, creased nets with a horrible 'view' of large air ducts, pipes etc, which made the room dark. There was a loud noise from fans outside the window which droned on all night so we had little sleep. We complained the following morning and were given an 'upgraded room'. Again, this was the last room down a very long corridor and it was freezing! We turned the radiators up to the highest setting but the bathroom was an ice box. We left the towel radiator on all night hoping the temperature in there would improve but it was too cold in there this morning for us to shower. There should have been towelling robes and slippers in the room, but there were none. On checkout we commented on our disappointment and were compensated with free parking for the duration. As my parents spent their honeymoon at the Angel Hotel 70 years ago and it being my birthday, my husband wanted to give me a lovely weekend, but we were very disappointed and were treated as poor relations!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CarolG302

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you did not have an enjoyable experience.

I have taken note of the comments with regards to the appearance and maintenance issues you have detailed about your room, needless to say we have started an internal refurbishment programme to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed here for one night in March while in Cardiff for a family party - which was held in the bar on the lower ground floor of the hotel.

The rooms were very nice, with a big, comfortable bed, and a good bathroom - though it did seem to take an age for hot water to come through. The staff were all very friendly and helpful too, and a real credit to the hotel.

Only slight complaint was the shared areas, which were very tired, and there was a particularly uneven step in the corridor leading to our room on the second floor which almost caught me out a couple of times.

Location wise it's excellent, with easy access to the shops and nightlife of central Cardiff, and found it to be terrific value as well - have stayed in a lot worse for a lot more!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I have taken note of your comments with regards to the furniture in the lounge, needless to say we are starting a refurbishment programme on our lounge next week to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed for one night with a friend mid week in February. Upon arrival the reception staff were very polite and helpful. They offered us a choice of rooms, castle view or inside, we went for inside as we wanted a quiet room. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean. Nice tv and tea/coffee making facilities. Bathroom was clean and nice toiletries provided. I would describe the hotel as a whole as "faded glamour". Years ago, it was The place to stay but has fallen from grace slightly. The communal areas are a little shabby, eg the main stair carpet is threadbare in places, and the seats are definitely in need of a good clean. However, the service is excellent, beds comfy, breakfast plentiful. We arrived late for breakfast but the staff were very happy to have extra bacon, eggs cooked for us. We also asked for some more tea bags etc and were given a plentiful supply. All in all, a little tatty round the edges but clean rooms, good service and excellent proximity to city centre. Would def stay again.

Room Tip: If you want a good sleep opt for interior room with no view! We had room 108 which was a twin with v...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends