“Our favourite hotel in Cardiff”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Our favourite hotel in Cardiff”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We first stayed at The Angel in December 2007. We married at Castell Coch just before Christmas and held our wedding reception at The Angel. We, and members of our family, stayed at the hotel. Throughout the staff made us most welcome and pandered to our every need. The hotel was decorated for Christmas and was absolutely beautiful. It was absolutely perfect.
Since then we have returned a number of times. It is perfectly situated for the Millenium stadium, Cadfiff Castle and all the great shops in the city centre. Don't miss a trip to the market and the wonderful old shopping arcades.
On our last trip we had booked for the easter saturday night but found we had to come up to Cardiff a day early. I rang reception whilst travelling up, only giving about three hours notice, but was assured that it would not be a problem. We were warmly welcomed and given a great rate for the extra night.
Yes parts of the hotel are a little shabby, but to us its shabby chic. All the staff are wonderful and do everything they can to help. I had the misfortune to be taken ill one night and was treated with the utmost consideration and kindness.
We love The Angel and would recommend it to anyone, so long as there is still some room for us!

Room Tip: All the rooms we have seen are similarly furnished. The rooms with a Castle view are a treat.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
joanne m, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at The Angel Hotel.

It is great to hear the memories our guests have of the Hotel and I'm glad the team looked after yourself whilst you were unwell duirng your stay.

Hope you have now fully recovered and we look foward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Greek first
Connah's Quay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The Angel seems to be living on its past glory, at a time when there were few hotels in Cardiff. With the present competition they really need to upgrade. I have been booked in this hotel on two ocassions and really tried to change the second booking because of my experiences on the first time. The whole hotel appears to be "tired" and outdated. There is nowhere to relax other than in your room and these are not friendly areas.
The food in the restaurant is very unpleasant, so much so that I ate out on my second visit. Breakfast is very disoriented even for the modern method of serving.
I refuse to stay here now because there are so many better hotels in Cardiff

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ron E
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. All of your comments are highly valued and will be fully reviewed with the team to ensure improvement is made where necessary.

We do hope you will return so that we can have the opportunity to deliver a much more enjoyable experience.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My partner and I recently stayed at this hotel for one night and we were really disappointed. There was a number of problems within our room; firstly, the view was terrible, we were overlooking the carpark which was a really shame as the hotel is situated on a main street overlooking the castle. Our room was not inviting at all for a number of reasons, the main light flickered constantly, the room was actually on a slant and was really noticeable when sitting down trying to write/eat and the wardrobe was so far from the wall it looked like it was going to fall. There were cracks through the walls and ceilings and ripped wall paper.

The room was not sound proof at all, if you got up in the night the floor creaked and you could hear everything in the room above and when they had a shower in the morning it honestly sounded like a waterfall was going to come through the roof!

The staff were okay but nobody seemed to go out of there way to talk to you and if anyone had asked me how my stay was I would have informed them of all of the above but I felt like they could not have got me out of the hotel quick enough.

For the price we paid I was really shocked, I would have much preferred a cheap travel lodge with the basic cleanliness and modernisation. This place really needs an uplift!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the castle
3 Thank sinead j
joanne m, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am very sorry to read of your disappointment.

If you would like to discuss the issues raised then please do not hesitate to contact me personally, angel.gm@pumahotels.co.uk

Regards
Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I recently booked a weekend stay at the Angel as a 60th birthday treat for my husband & as soon as we walked into the hotel, I knew I had made the right choice. Staff were welcoming & helpful & the whole atmosphere in the reception & bar/lounge areas was friendly & inviting. When we entered our room, staff had left a complimentary bottle of champagne & mini Welsh cakes for us to enjoy in celebration of my husband's birthday & had even placed a hand written card for him next to the generous gifts. The room boasted a very comfortable bed, sofa & 2 TV's overlooking a lovely view of Cardiff Castle. We will not hesitate to stay here again on our next visit to Cardiff....great central location, especially for rugby matches at the Millenium Stadium & favourable room rates with good special offers. Thank you to all at the Angel for making the birthday weekend extra special!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of us here at the Angel Hotel in Cardiff. It was lovely to hear your husband had an enjoyable Birthday.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Just back from a weekend break in The Angel in Cardiff. Having read some of the reviews we were a little anxious as to what we were turning up to but we really needn't have worried. For an extra£20 we "upgraded" our room and found ourselves in an enormous room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the Castle. First thing to say is the £20 upgrade was incredible value. For that we had a bigger room, dressing gown and slippers for both of us, beautiful blue glass bottles of water, extra good quality toiletries and it covered the £10 parking cost. What a bargain!
The room had definitely seen better days, however, there was nothing to complain about. The bathroom had a wonderful sloping floor (age of the building) and again was a good size with everything you could need. The room had lots of storage for all your things, a good size tv and happily had mugs and not silly small cups for coffee/tea.
After a very good nights sleep on a comfortable bed, we had breakfast. Tea and coffee was delivered to your table and the rest was buffet style. Despite arriving at 9.50 am with service finishing at 10.00am there was still plenty of choice for breakfast and the chef was still supplying freshly fried eggs after we sat down. We couldn't fault it at all.
The staff are friendly and helpful and you a made to feel very welcome here. There were Easter eggs at reception and we were encouraged to help ourselves. We had sat in the bar for a couple of drinks the night before after returning from dinner and the bar man was a lovely young man who was friendly and cheerful.
I cannot say enough about value for money here. No one can argue that the hotel is in need of an over haul, but you will be hard pressed to beat it for a friendly comfortable value for money stay. We will definitely be returning soon.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade. For the small difference in cost it's well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
joanne m, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I'm glad you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed in this hotel during a business trip to Cardiff. It is very close to the rail station and opposite the magnificent Cardiff Castle. It is an old hotel currently being refitted. My room was large, the bed comfortable plus I had a view of the Castle! Two points: the staff were excellent and went out of their way to help. Secondly (which we had at the business meeting also held in this hotel) the food was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the castle!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Virginiaslim100
Thank you for your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The hotel, literally between the Castle and the Millenium Stadium. Close to the shops & great restaurants, is an old fashioned Hotel but endowed with modern accutrements & good old fashioned customer service. The staff really care about their guests. I happened to mention that we were visiting on our wedding anniversary and they provided us, without request, VIP service and champagne in the room. Rooms are spacious & comfortable but as it's an old hotel without double glazing can be affected by traffic noise.
If I had to mention any shortcomings the shower head didn't stay up (brewer's droop), the room key kept cancelling itself with monotonous regularity & The kitchens couldn't cope with everyone turning up late together for breakfast on Sunday.
All minor points. I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is furthest away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.

I have taken your comments on board to ensure improvements are made where necessary.