“Perfect place to stay if you have an audition”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #27 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Perfect place to stay if you have an audition”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

First class customer service and a genuine warm welcome was exactly what we needed in preparation for our son's audition at the Royal Welsh! Nothing was too much trouble! the hotel is close to the conservatoire and opposite the entrance to the castle. Many thanks for all your help and support and making us feel valued customers. Hopefully we will be back again soon

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to provide your feedback.

The team were to delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Greek first
Somerset
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Booked a double room, arrived and given a twin room. Room was howling!!!!! Stains which looked like bodily fluids on the chair, valance and lamp shade. Bathroom was discusting, grout was brown and not sure what was growing around the taps in the bath.
Complained and was moved to a double room on the third floor. Slightly better but still very poor. Decided not to eat at the hotel, didn't want to risk it after seeing the rooms. Did have a drink at the bar, but waited ten minutes to be served.
Breakfast, service was good but the 'Hot' buffet was lukewarm.
Only plus point was he central location and hotel car park which was £10 a night.
You can do better than this place. Cost £95 per night B&B on a Saturday in November

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mattthekat
Shropshire
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed Sat 9th Nov for the Wales v South Africa ,check in smooth even though a lot were checking out.Room available so dropped of bags,
Room large enough maybe a little tired but everything worked,Flat screen TV,Trouser Press & Iron Hairdryer,Tea & Coffee tray.
Bathroom good size shower above bath which was really powerfull,

Bar well this was the focal point!! Large screen TVs put up for the match,and afterwards an amazing atmosphere, definatly worth a vist after the Rugby,with plenty of singing.

Staff worked relentlesly to keep everyone happy. well done to them.

Breakfast wonderfull plenty of choice ,and kept well replenished.

Definatly a Hotel to use when in Cardiff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank holsrusShropshire
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a good review with regards to your recent stay at The Angel Hotel.

The Rugby events provides such a great atomsphere to the city and the hotel, I hope you enjoyed the game.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel to watch the rugby due to it's great location for the staduim. I will start witht the positives. Our room was very spacious and clean and as stated above is a stone's throw away from the staduim. Now unfortunately the gripes with the hotel. On arrival we found that the hotel's car park was full, even though we arrived before our check-in time. There is a sign that states that non-residents will be charged £30.00 and being cynical I feel that these spaces are taken by non-guests so the hotel can make extra money, as the hotel does not allow you to pre-book car parking. NCP is very close by though. This hotel USP is that it is very close to the staduim and therefore should be ready for lots of people arriving for events, but they are not. On arrival we were in a big queue to check-in and when we were being checked in our group were told that some of us would be moved to another hotel! This is incerdible and clearly something that we were not going to do and finally they found a room!! On check-out the next morning there was again in another big queue. The staff do their best to try to help, but I feel that more staff is needed, especially on busy weekends and management really should think about this. I work in the travel industry and am fully aware of hotels around the world and in the UK and do not feel this is a 4 star hotel, personally I would say 3. Wi-Fi is very poor and our room did not have a mini bar (but that's a persoannly choice for a 4 star). I would recommend this hotel to other people, but only if there is NOT an event taking place at the staduim. This is a ok basic hotel and I feel that prices should reflect that rather than being very very pricey.

Room Tip: Make sure you try and get a room on a higher floor and not facing the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LondonRoyston
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Your comments have been shared with the team to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

The Autumn International's is a large event for the hotel and we try our best to ensure our high level of service is attained, I am sorry this was that the case on this occasion.

we do hope you will return.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I booked a double room, single occupancy for £270(room only rate) for one night only through Expedia on 9 November for the Wales V S Africa rugby international. The hotel is located very near to the Millenium stadium an extremely convenient location for any rugby internationals. However, when I arrived I couldn't park in the hotel car park because there was a large white transit van blocking the entry route and there was a red illuminated sign confirming that the car park was full. Only when I went to the reception did the receptionist explain that there was plenty of room in the car park and that the Red FULL sign was malfunctioning. By that time I had already parked in a multistory car park for £20(!). When I was checking in the receptionist gave me room 209. When I went up to the room I discovered that it was a single room with a small single bed and not what I had booked through expedia. I went down to the reception and explained that the room was not what had been agreed with expedia. The receptionist said that expedia had made an error and only requested a single room for me. However, I had a confirmatory e-mail message from expedia with me which I showed to the receptionist which contradicted the hotel. They could not offer me another room because they were so busy and only when I enquired did they offer a £25 refund and breakfast as compensation. I felt that this was not sufficient but accepted their offer conditionally. The bedroom was small and unbearably hot. It wasn't a comfortable stay. When I went down to breakfast the following morning the restaurant manager had not been informed by reception that I was now on a B&B rather than a room only rate. Overall I was pretty dissatisfied with the hotel and I thought that the value for money was poor, even when allowing for the fact that accommodation in central Cardiff is significantly more expensive at peak times such as an international day.

Room Tip: Be careful if you are booking a room during one of the rugby international days in Cardiff because t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GarethJ905
Thank you for your feedback, I very much regret the disappointment caused by the issues you have detailed.

Our car park is available to guests but unfortunately we are unbale to reserve spaces. I am sorry for the inconvienance caused on arrival, I have reported the fault to the engineer and requested for it be repaired immediately.

Please accept my apologies that the standard of your room was not what you had booked. Our reservations team is currently reviewing the booking process with the booker to ensure the problem faced does not reoccur.

I consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who genuinely care about our guests comfort and enjoyment during their stay and I am frustrated that during your stay we were unable to either pre-empt or totally rectify the problems faced.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Swindon
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just back from a weekend at The Angel Hotel. Firstly, the location is great, within walking distance of just about everything. Consequently, the hotel car park was full when we arrived so we had to spend a fortune on the nearby NCP. But you could easily stay here without a car.

We ate in the hotel the first night and both enjoyed our meals and the service was good.

We were in a standard double room, (Room 316) which was mediocre. The decor was faded and dull, and everything was a bit shabby with a very unattractive bathroom. It was mouldy, had cracked tiles on the floor and the bath looked like it needed a deep clean. The complimentary toiletries were fine but we only had very basic, and minimal, tea and coffee. For four star I expect more.

We paid £325 for 2 nights B&B which I thought was not good value.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank SwindonCjm
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with regards to your recent stay.

I have taken note of your comments with regards to the decor and appearance of some parts of the room, we have recently started an internal refurbishment programme to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

On a postitive note I was pleased to read you enjoyed your evening meal and received good service.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns.
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just returned from weekend in Cardiff stayed one night for the rugby so the room rate was hiked up .the reception area was lovely as was the restaurant . The room we stayed in was dingy cold in fact I'd say it needed a total refurb .for the price we paid it was diabolical. No attention to detail poor wifi shortage of plugs shabby furnishings not that clean either and the floor was on a slant . Our friends we went with were horrified at the stain on the bed sheet ! Not v nice at all .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Please accept my apologies that your expereince of your room was so disappointing. I have reviewed all your feedback with the head housekeeper as it is always our priority to improve on any mistakes that have been made to avoid any reoccurrence.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns.