“Disappointing Room For New Year, Can't Fault the location though!”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Room For New Year, Can't Fault the location though!”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Angel Hotel because of its location for New Year just gone. Now location wise, perfect! Very close to Winter Wonderland and the fireworks were literally viewable from the hotel. A walk to St Davids Shopping centre was less than 10 minutes. However, the actual room we stayed in has put me off this hotel completely and the lack of apology from staff the next morning was just unacceptable for customer service.

So, the actual reception and public areas of the hotel looked quite appealing. The car park is pretty small and it was packed (took one of the last spaces) but it was new year so might not be so bad generally. The room itself was not up to standard at all for a hotel. Though small, it was standard in the sense of: double bed, bath with shower over in modern bathroom, dresser, tea/coffee making facilities, towels, hairdryer etc. However, both bedside table lamps as well as the dressing table lamp were not working...now I get 1 might not work, but 3 lights all at once? I just think that this is a lack of attention to detail by hotel staff. Never had that happen at another hotel and I travel quite regularly! This was a nuisance when I wanted to get ready at the dresser which is where the haridryer was fitted, as I couldn't actually see myself in the mirror very well...yes there is a full length mirror near the door but I thought the dressing table is where I'm supposed to get ready?! Too bad the lights weren't working! On grabbing a towel from the supposedly heated towel rack I also found that the cellotape (yes cellotape!) which was keeping one of the pipes connect to the wall had come off. Now a cellotape botch up DIY job in a hotel bathroom? Appalling! Other than this, the actual bathroom was clean, nice and modern. On reentering the room after new year, the room was boiling! It was like a sauna. We tried the AC to no avail and I couldn't sleep in it, I have allergy prone skin and my skin was aggravated by the heat and even the open window wasn't helping, instead we could just hear the music from the local restaurants and bars. Definitely not a great night's sleep before our drive back to the midlands on the 1st!

Breakfast was great though and I cannot fault it really, range of full english and contintental breakfast foods, though the host wasn't too friendly towards us as he was to other guests (just seated us, but on seating a couple right next to us, he asked them how their new year had gone and had a good old chat before giving them champagne since they had missed it the night before!). Now isn't a host supposed to be friendly and welcoming to all?

Now I'm not usually one to complain, I admit I'm one of those who would usually just deal with it, but this hotel was just not satisfactory for the amount I paid. If one thing had gone wrong fair enough, but we had 3 issues. The room was too hot, half the lights in the room weren't working and the botch up job DIY in the bathroom all made me think come on now this isn't on! So I complained when checking out and what did I get? £10 for my parking. The reason for no part refund was that I had prepaid. Surely the hotel receives the money I pay to a third party (hotels.com) and could've been more gracious then saying sorry you prepaid we cannot refund you. I think the lack of customer service definitely made the experience that much worse. I would hope in future, the hotel would ensure all rooms are up to standard and all appliances and lights are working properly before checking in guests and that the staff would be more considerate and reasonable in their approach to guests!

If you go to Cardiff, it is a great city, but I advise against this hotel....We stayed at the Hilton on the night before and have to say I would choose that again just because of the comfort and hassle free stay! No issues at all. If the Angel hotel has resolved our complaints more graciously I may have been more forgiving, but in fact they weren't too bothered at all....hope this helps!

Room Tip: Rooms on the same side as the car park (i..e 204, 205, 206 and similar) allow you to view the firewo...
1 Thank Selina777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Greek first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Spent the New year break at the Angel. Room was a little battered, food ranged from excellent at breakfast and Gala dinner to in edible at evening meals. Staff were not friendly, competent or helpful as some reviews suggested. Would not recommend or use it again. The Cornish Pixie

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Beryl C
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Please accept my apologies that your experience at the hotel was so disappointing.

I would like to extend my apologies for the shortcomings you received and I am sorry if this spoitl your stay. I consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who genuinely care about our guests' comfort and enjoyment during their stay and I am frustrated that during your stay we were unable to either pre-empt or totally rectify the porblems faced.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Milford Haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Angel Hotel is very conveniently situated in the centre of Cardiff and has it's own, reasonably priced, parking although space is limited. We booked through Travel Republic and paid six weeks before the visit but the staff were unable to find the payment and wanted us to pay again at both check-in and check-out. We had requested a non-smoking room but the first room we were given reeked of stale tobacco smoke. The second room was comfortable enough but the ration of tea bags and milk was very mean. We only used their restaurant for breakfast where the fare was a pretty average buffet. This hotel could be a lot better and needs to try harder.

1 Thank misterc6
hereford
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Angel is unfortunately a bit run down and past its best. The room we had was poorly heated and decorated but spacious. We only stayed one night so it was not really a problem.

The location of the hotel is great and was the reason we stayed there, I don't think we would want to stay for much longer though and the hotel is desperately crying out for a refurb'.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I have taken note of your comments with regards to the decor and appearance of some parts of the hotel including the bedrooms. We have recently started an internal refurbishment programme to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed using a very reasonable deal - excellent room recently refurbished on 3rd floor overlooking Cardiff Castle - staff were excellent and very accommodating - good bottle of wine part of the deal but let down by the meal itself - overcooked - certainly not 4 star. However, the breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and well cooked. The hotel is ideally situated for the town centre and only 10 mins walk to the station/bus station.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room on the castle side
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Please accept my apologies that your experience of your evening meal was disappointing. I can assure you that feedback such as yours is not the norm here. I have shared your feedback with the Head Chef as it is always our priority to make improvements where necessary.

On a positive note, I'm glad you had an excellent breakfast and enjoyed our offering.

We do hope you will return and will look forward to welcoming you back.
Abertillery, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We got this at an absolute bargain for just 25 pounds a night. The lobby and front of house of the hotel is delightful, with it being Christmas time the decorations were very warm and inviring and all the staff very helpful.
The rooms where clean, except we found a false eyelash attached to the telephone leading us to believe it hadnt been detail cleaned.
The beds were very comfortable and the decoration was tasteful even considering it wasnt one of the rooms to be refurbished yet, it did look a little worn.

Overall a great place at a cheap price, would go back and recommend.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay.

I was delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time.

I have taken note of your comments with regards to the housekeeping issues in your room. Your feedback has been shared with the team to ensure that improvement is made when checking rooms.

We will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The Angel Hotel is in a fab location and the Staff are always very friendly and helpful. The Building itself it Old but the rooms are clean and tidy and welcoming.
Buses just outside to the Bay very convenient which are much cheaper than a taxi and run regularly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I was pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and always find the team very helpful and friendly.

We do hope you will return in the future.