“Angel Hotel, Cardiff”

Ranked #28 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Cardiff
“Angel Hotel, Cardiff”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Had a great experience at the Angel, Cardiff. Everty aspect of our one night stay were tip top. Booking accomodated our preferences, staff were very professional, food was excellent and fantastic value too!! 100% recommended...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank John J
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to one of Puma Hotel's collection in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Greek first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have mixed feelings about The Angel Hotel, Cardiff. I went there with my 2 sisters and my niece for a champagne tea in early-February. We were 30 minutes early but there was no problem about them finding us a table. There were quite a lot of people in the restaurant but it was by no means full. Within a short time we were brought a pot of tea which was enough for 4 strong cups of tea - but no hot water to top up the pot. The food took longer to arrive but we weren't particularly bothered because we'd arrived before our booking time. The sandwiches we were given were of mixed quality. We had cream-cheese and smoked salmon which were great but then there was grated cheddar with Branston pickle and a nasty cheap tuna mayonnaise. I quite like cheese sandwiches and also like Branston pickle but, for afternoon tea in a nice hotel, I thought it would have been more appropriate to have served them with cucumber or tomato. The tuna was not good and, to my mind, it had come from a tin of the cheapest they could find. When the waiter brought the food, we asked for our glasses of champagne but he said he was very busy and other people were waiting too. He'd get around to it as soon as he could we were told. Having eaten the sandwiches, we started on the small cakes - 3 different types and they were fresh, light and very nice - we asked a different waiter for our champagne but his reply was that they were getting around to it. The scones with jam and real clotted cream were warm and appeared to have been just baked - delicious! Also with the scones were tiny little shortbread biscuits which were also lovely. We asked for more water for the tea-pot and this appeared very quickly but we still hadn't had our glass of champagne! This was eventually brought to us AFTER we'd finished eating. In other places it's served as you arrive which, to my mind, is much nicer than after your meal. I guess I'd go again because, in general, the food was good but there were also things that could be improved upon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my apologies that your experience of our afternoon tea package did not meet your full expectations. Clearly further training is necessary for the team to enable them to provide a smooth and efficient service.

Thank you for all your comments abd I offer my sincere apologies once again.
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Polite staff but obviously need training ! We arrived on saturday afternoon for rugby that evening .hotel agreed to swap evening meal for lunch which was kind but then things went down hill .
soup took 40 mins to arrive with a bread roll, no butter or knapkin, before I had time to taste my soup the steak arrived and was placed on the table to go cold while I ate my starter.i complained to the member of staff who introduced himself as operations manager and sorted the problem.
the room was ok if not dated but no hot water at all even after leaving the bath and sink taps running for 20 mins.
breakfast food was discusting ! Cold fried and stale dumped in the corner of the room on a table that was supposed to be a hot trolly .I have to say that the food served in the hospitality box at cardiff arms park was far susperior .
I would not use this hotel or recommend it and as a four star it's a joke .there are far better hotels in cardiff I have stayed at .

Room Tip: Choose another hotel preferably one of the newer ones around the city centre
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mickeyflyn
Thank you for providing your feedback. I very much regret the disappointment caused by the issues you have detailed.

Your comments will be investigated individually with the team to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We spent Valentines evening there. The condition of our bedroom was terrible: lots of dirty marks on the wall, kettle didn't work, air conditioner didn't work, camomile tea in the bedroom are you kidding me? Very old hardly working hairdryer. Everywhere huge amount of dust, smelly bedroom destroyed furnitures with sticky feeling. Fortunately, materac protector was clean otherwise we would leave. Shocking stage of bathroom, dirty tiles, very old anx destroyed, noisy doors, amount of dust on pipes was HUGE!! I hated it. However, was nicely surprised by breakfast ( no ham for continental one ). good luck for whoever would like to stay there ;-(

• Stayed February 2014
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We booked into The Angel, at the last minute because we needed to be in Newport early the following morning and wanted to try and beat the weather! No joy on that front!
Lina checked us in and was very nice indeed, arranging for an extra duvet for our six month old son.
Mike in the restaurant and Karen on Reception both treated us like royalty in the morning, sorting out a high chair, and offering us a larger table nothing was too much trouble, even looking after little Freddy whilst I packed the car. Thank you so much, we will return for the staff, and the room was great too! Great location directly opposite the Millennieum Stadium and right in the centre of town.
A great find as far as we are concerned. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I was delighted to hear you had a great stay. Your feedback will be shared with the team.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
yorkshire
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The Angel hotel in Cardiff is a old hotel that is a bit outdated. Although the hotel has recently been refurbished and painted inside, the equipment in room have not been replaced. Trouser press and irons are listed in each room as extra's but I have stayed there 5 times now since October 2013 on business and none of these have worked in either room. The heating/air con is not very good as this barley works also,
Staff however are very friendly and service is excellent.

Room Tip: Don't have a room on castle street side, this is noisy with traffic and there is a night club th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We have started an internal refurbishment programme to ensure improvements are made where necessary which includes upgrading the appliances in the rooms.

Iron and boards are available upon request, I am sorry if you were mislead by any commentary and will have this reviewed immediately. I have taken note of your comments with regards to the maintenance issues in your room, I have requested our Maintenance Manager to address the issues immediately.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Wales
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Booked this hotel quite last minute due to it's location and proximity to Cardiff Arms Park. Lovely welcome , very friendly team - we arrived late evening but were checked in promptly and efficiently. Staff answered questions about parking provision and were very helpful

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for your comments with regards to your recent stay at the Angel Hotel. I was pleased to hear the team were able to answer all questions with regards to the car park. Your feedback has been shared with the team.

We do hope you will return.