“Good location ”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is clean with friendly and helpful staff. Reception staff on arrival were very accommodating and welcoming. The twin room we were in was clean but with an overpowering and lingering mens aftershave smell (think maybe a bottle smashed and soaked into the carpet at some point as it didn't fade while we were there!). Room was also modern, decent size tv, iron and ironing board and comfortable beds. Breakfast was good served till 10.30am. Very central location, ideal for shopping and a night out. £10 parking. I'd stay again for a night or 2.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We hope you will return soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,702)

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I called the hotel an hour before check-in time to see if my room would be ready an hour early. I know this isn't expected of any hotel but in my experience if your room is ready it's not usually a problem. The gentleman who answered double checked for me and said yes it would be fine, although as I was saying goodbye he did decide to stress that "We can't guarantee the room before 3pm". I was in such a rush that I said "of course" but I really should have asked whether it was actually okay or not as I just sensed that something was off there.

Arrived an hour early and was greeted by two members of staff. One of them was a lady who was lovely but the gentlemen who I assume answered my call didn't say much aside from standing there staring at me while I checked in. I was told my room wouldn't be ready before 3pm. I waited to see if the guy would say anything but he didn't intervene so I thought you know what, it didn't sound too promising when I called. I was told I'd be informed when the room was ready and I could wait in the bar.

A whole hour passed and at 3pm I went to reception to see if my room was ready given that it was now the agreed standard check-in time. I was told it was ready fifteen minutes ago but they had been too busy. How lovely. At that point I genuinely just felt like leaving because as far as I was concerned the standard of service I was receiving wasn't even on par with what I've received in low budget hotels such as The Premier Inn nevermind a hotel that claims to be four star.

There was then much ado over trying to taking a deposit from my credit card of £100. I input the wrong PIN accidentally and the lady assumed my card was declined and then said "maybe it would be better if we try and take full payment for the room". I was then charged the £75 for one night's stay which went through fine. Whilst this is happening the male member of staff and another lady were sort of just standing there watching me which I found annoying.

With regards to the actual hotel, I'd just echo some of the main comments people have already mentioned. The hotel is beautiful on the outside and as you walk in it looks very grand and fresh but as soon as you walk up the lovely stair case it's all downhill. You're greeted by dirty, dingy corridors with carpet that looks like it hasn't been cleaned or changed for decades. The rooms themselves are on par with what I've experienced in an Ibis hotel once. Again, very dark and dingy. The bathroom sink had some sort of brown stains which hadn't been washed, there were no complimentary shampoo etc. instead you get a sign that says if you want it to ask reception. Well I'm sorry I consider that sort of thing a basic necessity, if you can hang an ironing board and iron in the wardrobe surely you can provide some sachets of soap. There was an overall musky smell to the room and there was this ugly headboard type thing on the bed which was very unnecessary and uncomfortable. The duvet and pillows were clean but you could just tell they were old by how thin and uncosy they were. The lighting in the rooms is horrendous as you only have one small window which is covered by an old 80s type netting beneath the dirty curtain.

If you're looking for four star accommodation that is actually four star I'd reccomend The Royal situatedon St Marys Street. The staff there are so accommodating and friendly without sounding like robots and the rooms are the total opposite of The Angel. They're modern, bright, fresh, clean and actually feel luxurious and as if you're staying in a good hotel. Big mistake making this booking but unfortunately The Royal was full but I'd never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Thomas E

Thank you for highlighting your concerns.

I am sorry for the frustration caused by the issues you have detailed.

We are currently training new team members on reception, clearly additional training is required and am sorry this caused an inconvienance to yourself. Your feedback will be shared with the team to ensure improvements are made where necessary.

It is never our intention for any guest to leave unhappy and I am sorry this is the case.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Having stayed in the hotel on many occasions and always been happy we were so disappointed with the room and service we received. Room was very small with three quarter bed and lots of marks/stains on walls and carpet. Complained to reception and via email on return but had no reply. So disappointing for a four star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014

Please accept my apologies that you have not received a response sooner.

I consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by a team who genuinely care about our guests comfort and enjoyment during their stay and I am frustrated that during your stay we were unable to either pre-empt or totally rectify the problems faced.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had a lovely 2 day stay arranged via TravelZoo as an offer. We had previously stayed at the Angel but on a 6 Nations rugby weekend when it is busy,busy,busy. It was nice to experience the hotel on a quieter moment.......If your not sure about something or just want to deal with a top bloke, ask for Louis ( Lewis ). Nothing was too much trouble and this waiter / bar worker is fantastic and impressed us massively on our stay. Well done Louis

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for providing your feedback. I was delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay.

Luis was very grateful for your recogntion of his service.

We do hope you will return in the future.

Regards

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a hen do, but the general guests staying were wedding guests so don't get the wrong idea about the hotel!

It's centrally located, opposite the castle so is great to stay in after a night out or simply visiting the city for shopping.

Our room was a little dated, but very spacious and perfect for what we needed it for. The lifts are a little slow but that's no big deal.

When we went on a Saturday the car park was a little full with people parked ridiculously but we all got our cars in.

The breakfast was delicious, plenty of choice and the staff we met were friendly and helpful! Overall, a great stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your feedback.

The team were pleased to hear you had an enjoyable weekend.

We do hope you will return.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Myself and my partner arrived after travelling up by train and walking from the train station, got to the hotel and were greeted by (I must say) a polite lovely lady who then informed us we were not staying at the hotel. I was quite annoyed becuase I had no prior warning, apparently there were no contact details for me even though i'd had an email confirmation for the stay which I found a bit silly that they couldn't have used that. As much as I didn't mind, as the hotel we were transferred to was the Hilton which is hardly any distance away and still a great city centre hotel, our stay at the Hilton was then a real disappointment. It was very noisy until around 4am, the service wasn't amazing from the reception and the only thing that saved the stay was the breakfast which was served until late (11am) and the choice was great.
I felt like my stay was really spoiled by the fact that i'd looked forward to a relaxing stay as i'd had the Angel recommended to me, and the outcome was not what i'd hoped for at all.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vikki E

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment caused.

It is never our intention for anything to go wrong but unfortunately an unplanned maintenance emergency resulted in bedrooms not being available.

I am sorry the alternative accommodation was so disappointing.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have visited The Angel Hotel previously and as we had a lovely stay before, and there was a very good offer on, decided to stay again. We arrived at the hotel at about 10.15 a.m. in the pouring rain and knew we couldn't get into the room until 3.00 but wanted to leave our bags at the hotel before going shopping. The lady at the check in desk found our reservation and advised us that unfortunately they did not have any twin rooms available and had upgraded us to a premier double - all very well but even though we had known each other years I did not want to sleep with my friend! We said that this was not acceptable as we had booked back in February and had no notification that they only had double rooms available as if we had we, would have booked into a different hotel. She pointed out various options which we weren't terribly happy with and we asked to see the manager and were told that she started at 2.30 p.m. and it would be sorted out then, we said we'd go shopping and return later.

When we returned at 2.30, much to our relief they had a twin room available, so we could relax a little.

After a good afternoon's shopping we returned to the hotel to get ready for dinner. This was included in the offer - a three course meal and bottle of wine for 2. We went to the restaurant and were the first people in there. We thought that as the meal was part of a deal we would be restricted in what we could choose from, but we were able to select from the normal menu and we asked for red wine, and had a bottle of house red which was very drinkable.

The food was excellent and very well presented and my friend who doesn't eat puddings, had the vanilla cheesecake and said that this was the best part of the meal - absolutely delicious.

Breakfast the following day was equally good, and although very busy with other guests there was plenty of choice and it was kept very hot.

The staff at this hotel are really nice and helpful, the room was a little small but perfectly adequate and the food is brilliant.

Our problem was sorted out well and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your feedback.

I was pleased to hear the team were able to resolve the problem and you had a great weekend.

We hope you will return soon.