“Black spot on a perfect weekend”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
London
“Black spot on a perfect weekend”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Myself and seven friends were booked in to the Angel by the experience company who organised a stag weekend, as we requested four star accommodation, and occupied rooms 113, 114, 116, and 119 on between 02/05/14, and 04/05/14.

All the rooms, and bathrooms clearly were decorated a very long time ago, as the deco was very tired. As I occupied room 114, information about rooms will be based on the room I occupied.

The room was equipped with a fairly new TV, trouser press, facilities to make hot drinks, an iron, and ironing board.

I found the room, and bathroom were not cleaned to a very good standard, as I could see dust in the bathroom vents, found dirt around the windows, and dirty windowpanes. The linen, however, was spotless.

We were all disappointed with breakfast, to the point that one member of our group skipped breakfast on the second morning. While there was a reasonable choice of cereals, fruits, and hot foods, the quality was not what we expected for the following reasons.

- It appeared that most of the fruit originated from a tin.
- The sausages seemed to have very little meat.
- The bacon we quite tough.
- The hash browns were very greasy.

The poor breakfast and tired deco paled into insignificance in comparison to the utterly appalling service we received from the Night Manager, and his team.

Following check-in, we were told that food, and alcohol would be available throughout the night, provided we allowed the hotel to pre-authorise a sum of money, on a credit card, which I was happy to do, and agreed that they could pre-authorise £200.

On our return, following our first night out, we attempted to order some drinks from the bar, to which we were initially told that we could only have bottled beer, which we reluctantly agreed to. Shortly after, however, we were informed that they were not able to serve any drinks, due to the fact that the tills were not working. When we complained about this to the day manager, we were given a fairly weak excuse about a till audit, which took the tills off-line.

On the second night, when we attempted to order food, and drinks from the bar, the Manager advised us that he will not serve us alcohol as he was “exercising his discursion, as a licensee” not to serve alcohol, and was not able to serve food, as no food was available. As a result of which, we were forced to trudge to the local McDonalds for food, in the early hours of the morning.

We will be contacting the company who booked our stay at the Angel, as we were charged a premium to stay in four star accommodation, and no part of our experience at the Angel Cardiff can be considered four star.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank RCG20
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thankyou for your feedback. I very much regret the disappointment caused by the issues you have detailed.

I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your concerns in more detail. Please contact myself at the hotel or angel.gm@pumahotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Greek first
Swansea
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Had afternoon tea as a treat and it was. Glass of prosecco each choice of teas fresh sandwiches cakes and scones with jam and cream. Excellent service helpful staff. Furniture was stained and tatty veneer missing off chair legs and a thin layer of dust was apparent. This hotel could do better.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for highlighting your concerns.

We have recently started an internal refurbishment programme to ensure improvements are made where necessary. Needless to say certain areas have been highlighted as a priority.
south wales
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for my birthday. Thought it would be a special time. It seems they wanted to make sure it wasn't.
You haven't paid yet. Yes I have.
Oh yes . I see you have paid.
I've paid for an upgraded room.
No you haven't. Oh yes you have booked one. But you need to pay extra.
No I don't I got proof.
It says on here to charge you extra for the upgrade.
I show receipt. Oh you already paid.
I'll move you to another room now.
No extras in room sir. But ill send them up very soon.
They never arrived. Went our for evening. On return still no extras. Dressing gowns . Slippers etc etc .
I ring down. Too late house keeping gone home.
We go to bed and settled down. They ring. Would you like your extras now. It's nearly midnight. I say no thanks. It's a bit late now.
The following morning. We had late check out booked. Cleaners knock the door. Are you leaving soon.
No I have a late check out.
30 mins later. Reception ring. Do you have a late check out. Yes I do. Oh yes I see now. Sorry to bother you.
We end up leaving. Fed up now. Complain about missing items at desk. They say manger will ring me.
By the way your bill sir . For the car park.
What car park. I'm not in your car park. I'm. Parked nearly a mile away. Oops sorry must of got info of your booking form . I didn't tell you I was driving or give u my car details. You didn't ? Oh ok. I'll take that off your bill.
It is now two months later I did have a phone call of a manager the following day. They lost my telephone number the day before.
Also had an email. Saying next time I go there. If I go there . They give me a free upgrade package. Think about it and let me know they said. She said she was away for the next few weeks. But to let her now. I did. I said it wasn't good enough really for spoiling my birthday. And upsetting my wife who sorted it out for me.
I've had no reply since. No response. No help. Had the offered an afternoon tea at the hotel. That would of been something. I suggested that too the receptionist when we checked out.
I said allow us to have afternoon tea later after our shopping g . And that would make it all, all right. She said if she could she would off. As that seemed a reasonable request.
Stayed in other puma hotels. With a much better customer service. And managers out to make happy customers.
As happy customers are returning customers.
Returning customers are happy customers.
Please one please all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank allen2502
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused by the issues you have detailed.

Your feedback is being taken most seriously and the issues you have raised are being fully reviewed to ensure that appropriate action to improve is taken.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

stayed on 10/5/14, cant fault the hotel at all, looks classy as you walk in and simple check in. got to our room 301 which was perfect, clean, tidy, spacious and laid out well with great facilities. breakfast in the morning was also great, showed to a table straight away and all staff there were working hard, the food choice was great, the hot food was hot and not swimming in grease like some reviews on here. the location is perfect we had a view of the castle from our windows and our a minute from the shops. the only gripes were not the hotels fault, it was extremely windy that night and the old window frames were knocking. the worst was the parking, we arrived about 8.30pm and the hotel parking was full. just down the round was ncp westgate street which advertised 4-24hr parking at £18.40 more than the £10 from the hotel but ok we thought. on departure the following day it was over £30, it had charged the 3-4hr rate for the evening then the rest for the sunday. it did unfortunately make us leave feeling a bit cheated and robbed. the hotel should have some arrangement with the ncp for when there car park is fully occupied. great hotel though would recommend highly.

Room Tip: 301 on 3rd floor good view of cardiff castle and away from the noise of the drunks
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay. I have taken note of your suggestion with regards to alternative parking and will certainly investigate your suggestion of a discounted rate at the local NCP car park.

We do hope you will return and will look forward to welcoming you back.
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel has a prime location in our beautiful capital city but falls short in lots of areas. Staff on reception are ok and at breakfast good. Rooms and bathrooms are very tired, really old shower and toiletries - only ever seen these pumps in Premiere Inns and even then they have better quality products in them. Bar service poor with people leaving before they got a drink as they were waiting too long for someone to even go behind the bar let alone serve them. No 24 hour food - not even the sandwich as described in the menu - all of this on a Saturday evening! All in all disappointing!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank traceyp1958
Thank you for highlighting your concerns.

Please accept my apologies that your experience from our bar was so disappointing. I have reviewed your feedback with the food and beverage team as it is always our priority to improve on any mistakes that have been made to avoid any reoccurrence.

Thank you for all your comments, your feedback is being taken most seriously.
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Booked this hotel as a wedding gift for my sister and her husband. Photographs on website looked lovely, location perfect. They we're put to stay in a very cold noisy room on the main road. While they were in their room it was so cold that my sister had to use the complimentary robe to keep warm. A masked ball was also taking place at the hotel the same night which also generated a lot of noise and they felt in the way of everyone wanting their photographs taken. Not the honeymoon night I was hoping for. The smell of paint from the newly decorated rooms also did not help with the romantic atmosphere. Had I been told this at the time of booking which was only 2 weeks prior to their stay I would have booked them into the premier Inn, at least they guarantee a good night sleep. Not a happy Bunny. I hope in years to come she will find it funny and forgive me

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank M J
Wales
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I bought a 'Living Social Deal' Voucher for my parents to have afternoon tea at the Angel Hotel. Both Mum and Dad thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service. They commented on how friendly and helpful the staff were and nothing was too much trouble for them. My Mum has special dietary (Coeliac) needs and these were catered for. They have asked that I give particular thanks to the waiter (Luis) and the restaurant Manager. They both had a wonderful time and can't wait to go again. Well done and thank you for looking after my folks.

2 Thank TigerLillieWales
Thank you for a lovely review.

The team were delighted to hear your recognition for their service.

We hope to welcome you back soon.