“Brilliant location but strictly for one night only!”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The location of this hotel is the best thing about it. Very central, a few minutes from Millenium Stadium and 10 minutes walk from Cardiff Central station. The room rates reflect the location rather than what you can expect from the hotel.
Money has been spent in keeping the foyer looking good - but that is where it stops. We were in room 117 - small, poky double room, grey net curtains, shower curtain half on half off, central heating on in July and no way of turning it off, shower gell in container on wall butno other complementary toiletries. I would not have stayed for any more than one night.
The decor in the rest of the hotel is shabby and in desperate need of a revamp and lick of paint.
The evening meal was uninspiring to say
the least and expensive for what was served up. There is certainly no chef working in the kitchen. The waiter however had a wonderful sense of humour and tried his best to make our visit to the restaurant a pleasant
experience. Likewise the breakfast was mediocre at best, plenty of staff but a bit chaotic and unorganised, and the people on the table next to us told off for sitting down without checking in first!
On checkout other people were complaining about the service.
The hotel need to up their game if they are going to charge as if they are an upmarket hotel. They do not deliver a good enough service.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeannette T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,742)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just returned from a weekend at the Angel. Room was very dark only had a small window, it smelt quite musty. Bathroom also had a small window blind wouldn't go up or down! I struggled to do my hair as light was so poor. Air con was ok but a little smelly not sure why. Breakfast was also a disappointment eggs swimming in oil, mushrooms had a strange taste, had to ask for food that had run out. After paying £300 for a 2 night stay in a so called 4 star hotel we will not be staying again !!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sueberesford84
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My friends and I attended for afternoon tea today. They had a wonderful array of sandwiches and 3 different types of cake and a scone each. I am gluten intolerant and requested a gluten free meal. I had toasted sandwiches as I was told the bread was only nice toasted. I had a fruit juice glass of fresh fruit which was mostly tinned grapefruit ( probably left over from breakfast) and 2 small disgusting chocolate brownies. To say that I was disappointed is the understatement of the year. I have been to other venues where the gluten free afternoon tea has been wonderful. I would definitely not recommend the AaNgel hOtel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had booked an afternoon tea for 29 people as a leaving "do" for a co-worker, I was able to get this at a deal price and it included prossecco, hot drinks and sandwiches and cakes.
We were given a room to ourselves with a very large oval table so that meant we could all see each other.
The drinks and food were very good and the service was excellent and all in all far surpassed what we expected.
Thank you staff at the hotel for making it a really lovely experience!
We will visit again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
JoanneMcElveen, General Manager at The Angel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

I was delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time.

The team were pleased to hear your recognition of their service.

we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Note: I didn't stay overnight here (I stayed at the Marriott up the road) but drove in each day for a 4 day course

The staff are exceptionally friendly and go out of their way to help, BUT.....

I am disabled, and for FOUR days running I was promised a coned off parking space (in the very small hotel car park). I didn't get my car parking space ONCE. The disabled spaces were always full - never once with a car with a Blue Badge, so the hotel is evidently not managing the car park correctly.

I blame the organisers of the course, but when we had a two hour exam on the last afternoon (this course cost me c.£2k when travel and accommodation costs were added in), it was incredibly noisy because of attendees leaving another huge conference - for some reason there was NO "Do Not Disturb - Exam in Progress" sign put up on our conference room door. (I passed the exam, but the question I had the lowest marks on, was the one I answered when it was noisiest - go figure.....)

Room Tip: I didn't stay overnight in this hotel (I stayed up the road at the Marriott)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I am sorry a space was not reserved for yourself in the car park, clearly additional signage is required to ensure guests park in the correct spaces.

I have taken note of your comments with regards to additional signage required when exams are taking place and have instructed our events office to make improvements where necessary.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was given a room which was adjacent to the main road running down the side of the building. The noise from the street was unbearable and caused disturbed sleep. This was in April 2014.
I discussed with the duty manger in the morning and she was very understanding but said as it was a listed building there was nothing which could be done.I refuted this saying the minimum would be soundproof curtains or the maximum was double or triple glazing with out affecting listing business status. She said she would get the hotel manager to ring me. This never happened. I rang the hotel about one month later and left a message for the manager to ring back. She didn't.
I expected someone senior within the organisation to take an interest in their guest comments. The fact that the hotel failed to respond to me shows a lack of customer relationship management and directors of the hotel chain should ask the question 'what is going on' in their oganisation!

Room Tip: stay away from a street location
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night on a special deal which included breakfast,a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine for 99 pounds happy days we thought. First of all the rooms are nothing like the ones on the web site,there very dated and grubby.the wine tasted like cooking wine in fact I would not cook with it!! And the food ! We'll just say that the mc Donald's we went to get was a far better meal than the tasteless plate of rubbish that they served me and my wife

• Stayed: July 2014