“Very enjoyable stay with great leisure facilities”
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

St. Mellons Hotel
Ranked #42 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Shepton Mallet, England
“Very enjoyable stay with great leisure facilities”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I was a bit worried when reading some reviews but was delighted with our room, service, leisure facilities and food. Our room was a superior with king bed and huge bathroom. We ate in the bar and the food was prompt and good quality plus reasonably priced. Breakfast was excellent with table service for the cooked options. Really impressed with the leisure centre which has a nice large pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Really nice bar lounge in leisure centre where you can also eat.
Hotel is set in lovely grounds and is surrounded by a large golf course. Would
recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cannard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We had 2 rooms booked and both were clean but not spotless. One smelt of damp and the other was cobwebby and grotty, and in need of refurbishment. Both bathrooms had mould too.

The public areas were clean and staff helpful and well mannered/. The Spa bar area and spa were very nice, but our spa treatments whilst professional were done in a very business like manner with no real care or attentiveness.

Over all a nice hotel but rooms really not up to scratch!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Derby
Reviewed 21 February 2011

This hotel is pretty good and one of it's best features is the large pool in the leisure centre next door. Problem is that you regularly get people coming straight from the sauna or steam room into the swimming pool, creating a sweaty surface slime, which frankly I don't want to swim through. I know lots of places have similar problems, but it's gross and the management need to sort it out.

• Stayed February 2011
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2011
" thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay. Whilst I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the leisure club, I am sorry to hear that some guests spoiled it by not showering between the sauna and the pool. I am unsure if you pointed this out to a member of the leisure team, as it is an ongoing issue we are desperately trying to stop, as it spoils everyone else's enjoyment

I look forward to welcoming you back soon"
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Did this hotel on a groupon offer. Probably the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. Room was shabby, tired and dirty. Staff seem disinterested and more focussed on the wedding fayre which was taking place the next day. Went for a relaxing evening but instead was kept awake by loud music until gone 2 am and then woken before 6pm to the sound of clearing up! Couldnt get through to reception on phone in room - constantly engaged evn though they were not busy. Breakfast was average but not enough room for everyone. A dreadful experience which we would never repeat!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
"thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, and that you felt the staff were unavailable to help you. I am sorry that other residents kept you awake with their music, and that the reception telephone was engaged. I an sure you are aware that this was rugby weekend, and the hotel was fully booked and very busy. We offer breakfast over a two hour period, but sometimes everyone comes down at the same time, and then there is a bottleneck, for which I can only apologise.

I hope you will consider staying again, to see what we can offer"
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2011

The rooms were more than adequate, and the location is good. The leisure facilities were excellent and the staff friendly and helpful. However the evening meal was appalling and expensive. I ordered a dim sum starter and ended up with a dish explaining why mums go to Iceland. A spring roll, a vegetable samosa and two other items straight from a packet and a small dollop of bought in chilli sauce. This was also very pricey as starters go. The main courses were all priced at £17-25 and were mainly pasta dishes with not a steak in sight! My wife and I opted for the lamb rump which was not inspiring but filled a gap. I complained to the duty manager who apologised and said he would mention it to the general manager but did not offer to remove the item from my bill. It is not a surprise that only two other people apart from ourselves ate at the restaurant. We spoke to another guest who advised us to eat at a £6-99 carvery down the road.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2011
"Whilst I am pleased to hear that the accommodation, location and leisure were to your liking, I am sorry to hear that the meal you ate was not.

We try to make as much of the food we serve here, but some of our dishes are brought in pre prepared, but we try to offer a range of dishes with a menu that changes regularly, and there are steaks available on the bar and lounge menus.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your meal, but I hope you will return to the hotel in the future to see what we can offer"
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed at st mellons on jan 7th for a one night spa break bought from groupon.co.uk for £78.
My first impressions were good, looked like a nice place in a quite location.
The spa was clean with a nice pool and jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. It was nice and relaxing and I had a good back massage.
The room we stayed in was ok, good size room and nice and clean.
Booked in to the restaurant by reception on the Friday night, thought it was overpriced for what we got, the same for the lunch we had.
Overall for the £78 deal we got it was well worth it. But I thought it was quite expensive for everything in there. Staff were all lovely and helpful and we had a good stay.

• Stayed January 2011
Grays Essex
Reviewed 3 December 2010

On arrival no leisure bar service
, " we have a wedding " was given reason for 15 minute wait and walk to hotel desk. Breakfast ( 2 days ) spoilt by a que wait for bacon -sausage -eggs etc which was not helped by an indifferent staff attitude who couldn't anticipate when shortages were going to take place . " we have trouble with the kitchen was the reply " dinner was excellent both for food and service when served in the library as dining room had a wedding parties. Overall a good hotel as long as you didn't want breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2010
thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at the hotel.

I am sorry to here of the delay in bar service, and also the service at breakfast; these are not the standards we are striving for here, and I am grateful for the feedback, as without it, we cannot hope to improve the standards here at the hotel.

thank you for your positive comments regarding the restaurant service and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon"