“poor.. and pricey!!”
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

St. Mellons Hotel
Ranked #51 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 21 October 2012

we arrived here for a wedding reception down an extremly pot holey lane. we arrive here and was not greeted by a member of staff and was left wondering around to find the reception i was attending! finally found where we wre ment to be.. the room was musky in smell the staff got our drinks order wrong twice and the drinks were also very expensive here!! food was lovely which is proberly my only plus point here. altho the food was taken away far to early and just thrown away when people were still eating!!!! towards the end of the evening we waited nearlly 30 mins to buy a drink but the bar staff seem to have disappered and nowhere to be found.. another guest got fed up of waiting and served themselfs! this caused the manager to be called who closed the bar and the venue!! so ended our eve very quickly (dont agree with helping yorself but idfthere was staff there it wouldnt have happened.) i know off friends who were staying here at the hotel and rated the venue even worse poor customer service, room in poor condtion, bed uncomfortable and smelly. so overall i would not visit this place again nor would i recommened it!

Room Tip: find another hotel... holiday inn just down the road... perfect choice!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 October 2012

This hotel is a shambles. The only redeeming features of this place are its staff and the food.

The approach and driveway is a hazard to anyone driving and trying to miss the very deep potholes. There is nothing being done to remedy this. I live nearby and use the hotel frequently and have inside knowledge and can confirm this is the case despite the managers assurances. The bottom half of the driveway floods frequently and I know cars have been stranded in it when the warnings have not been placed appropriately to deter people from driving through. There is insufficient lighting throughout the grounds and pathways leading to the "garden rooms" and I am surprised no-one has had a serious accident and claimed compensation before now. This needs to be dealt with as a priority.
The garden rooms themselves need to either be demolished and rebuilt or some serious cash needs to be spent on them. A bit of new wallpaper and paint will not prevent the mould and damp and lack of sufficient heating that is causing this. The windows need to be replaced and the walls need insulating. Beds are tired and worn and stained. Garden rooms are still being used by smoking residents. There is no internet connection in these rooms. The garden rooms could be a real feature as they are nicely positioned in the grounds of this lovely manor house but they are fast becoming a last resort for guests to stay in and my source reveals that this is where most of the complaints originate from. Bathrooms are mouldy and dirty, bath panels, toilet seats and shower screens are broken and left unrepaired. Slatted windows cannot be closed and locked properly and let cold air in and hot air out. Nevermind the security risks.

The main hotel itself is not as bad, although it needs some TLC. All rooms could do with an overhaul but there are areas that need immediate attention, such as the sky-light in the main reception hallway, which looks like it is ready to fall in on someone's head. There are leaks in the roofs/ceilings in the ballroom and bar areas which have ice-cream tubs catching the drips.
Curtains hang off their tracking in the ballroom, nets are ripped and the lamp shades in the restaurant are burnt and ready for the skip.

This hotel could be beautiful and it is a real shame to let it go from bad to worse because the money is not being spent on it to attract and retain guests and business.
I have been to several weddings and parties at this hotel and would consider having my own impending wedding here, due to its potential of being a really lovely venue. However, I would not be prepared to have friends and family put through the ordeal of having to stay in such conditions and taking the risk of something going disastrously wrong during the wedding celebrations.

This hotel MUST be losing money like water through hands. But with some investment, could be a little goldmine. Something needs to be done to address the issues instead of pretending that everything is OK, when clearly it is not. It must be very frustrating for the staff that work there and clearly have a genuine affection for the place.

Room Tip: Go for rooms inside the main hotel. Avoid the garden rooms at all costs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MollyM1971
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel, although I must say that I can not agree with so many of your observations. Naturally, the hotel has an on-going programme of reinvestment in line with the policy of our company- as you yourself observed, the garden rooms have all been invested in during the last 12 months with new carpets, curtains, flat screen TV’s, pillows and new mattresses. In fact many of our clients, particularly family parties, prefer the comfort and space afforded by these rooms to the more traditional, high ceiling Georgian rooms of the main house.
I would concede that the potholes in the drive to which you refer were in need of attention. Even though we do not enjoy ownership of this driveway, the holes were filled on 2nd October and I’m afraid I can not agree with your comments.
You are evidently a frequent visitor to the hotel and I would be delighted if you would make yourself known to me in person so that we can discuss any matters which may be of concern to you face to face.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Shared a pleasant few days at St Mellons with my wife. The breakfast was very good, The pool & sauna first class, the grounds are very nice, the decor needs updating. The staff went out of their way to help us, which was good, overall we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at St. Mellons Hotel & Spa. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your weekend away and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future should you be in the area again.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Prior to joining a hotel guest for a drink in the evening at St Mellons hotel and to watch some football I checked this site for it's reviews and when I was driving down the lane to the hotel I had a startling reminder of the manager's reply to the latest review one day ago. I drove the lane as if on a slalom, the potholes were many and varied designed to wrip your tyres off, I had to zig-zag all the way down the lane. The manager had reported that the lane was now smooth after repairs had been carried out, his version of smooth must be the opposite to mine, there were no signs of new tarmacadam anywhere unless they'd repaired only the bottom of the crevasses.
On a positive note the leisure bar was comfortable and friendly, the last time I was here there were stools at the bar and it would have been nice to sit at the bar on some stools but on enquiring to the bar staff where the stools were, they informed us that the manager has had the stools removed, that must be why he walks in a strange way.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I stayed atSt Mellons for three nights. I had to move rooms because of internet problems but the manager was very accomodating and even though I had to move twice. Yes the decor is becoming a little outdated, the rooms are are a good size even if the tiny TV is not. The food was of a good standard I ordered bar food as well as restaurant. Watch out for the potholes and the precarious entrance from the Newport road, suggest you use Cypress drive entrance to the golf club. Overall the staff were welcoming and cheerful especially Brian at front of house. The price was good so value for money in my mind.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank RobertFs
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay.

You’ll be delighted to know that next time you visit us you need not worry about the pot holes- work has already commenced to remedy the problem and the drive is once again smooth!

I look forward to welcoming you back to St. Mellons.

Kind regards

Philip Thomas

Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night for a wedding. We were given room 45, a garden room, which was large and well furnished but which was so damp it is not fit for paying customers as far as I am concerned. In fact, I wouldn't stay there again if you paid me the going rate. The smell hits you as soon as you walked in the room and the air was permeated with damp. I have just had to put all the clothes I took with me in the wash as the damp was absorbed into them and they stink. Even after the windows were open for hours it was still extremely damp and smelly. The walls must be crawling with damp as even getting loads of fresh air in didn't remove the damp in the air. I consider this room a health hazard. Do not stay in room 45 under any circumstances. We got a £20 discount but even so I would NEVER stay in this room again, the car would have been better, at least the air would have been fresher. It was like sleeping in a tent that has been covered with mould and has had no fresh air in it for years, literally unbearable, I couldn't wait to get out. I think the rooms in the main house are quite nice but the garden rooms are appalling and the fact that they are still in use after so many bad reviews is staggering. The hotel clearly know it is a problem and are still happy to let families with young children stay in these rooms which is a disgrace. These rooms need to be shut down.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank writetonessa
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback which has been taken on board.

I have personally checked room 45 following your departure. I apologise that you felt it of such a disappointing standard. I would agree that the bathroom did smell a little musty following a recent leak from the bath, but this has now been resolved.

It would have been beneficial to both you and our team had you brought these issues to our attention prior to your departure, and had you have done this we would have done our best to rectify any problems. We want our guests to have a truly enjoyable stay at the hotel and will do anything possible to resolve issues which detract from their enjoyment and we are sorry this could not be the case during your stay.

We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Nice hotel. Great for a wedding - which is why were were here, so just as well.
Had a fab day and a great night. Breakfast was welcome and tasty and the staff very smiley, considering it was a Sunday morning and they'd all probably rather be still in bed. As would we.
Lovely sauna to sweat off the post wedding hang over (the wife's obviously, not mine!) followed by a swim in a good size pool. Then a walk throught he very pretty ground. The hotel is surrounded by a golf course so mind your head if yuo stray off course!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends