“A Magical Day”
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

St. Mellons Hotel
Ranked #50 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 6 February 2013

My family and I booked a table for a Santa Sunday Lunch on the 19th December 2012. We enjoyed pre-lunch drinks in a delightful lounge, elegantle decorated with a the Christmas decorations and enjoyed the warmth of a lovel open fire.

We then went into the Llanarthen restaurant and were welcomed with warmth and friendliness by all the staff. The foor was beautifully presented,and cooked to perfection.

The highlight of the day was a visit from Father Christmas, who entertained the children as they all sat around yet again another open fire and sang Christmas carols and were duly awarded with a gift.

I have no hesitation in recommending this lovely hotel, set in beautiful surroundings, with a lovely team of people to look after you, yes the hotel is in need of renovation, but in someway this added to the ambience of the hotel. It definitely beats all those modern hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Whilst being a member of the leasure facilities for 8 months everything started off fine
But the cracks started to show quickly;

Sauna room seating broken for months
Pool is consistently freezing
Jacuzzi is up and down with its temperature
Changing rooms often dirty and un-monitored
Showers broken since we started our membership

Now all these problems could be overlooked u might think if the management were dealing with them , but NO
The quality of a business shows not when the "good times roll", but when things go wrong, and it's how that business deals with adversity and complaints and dissatisfied customers

All we feel st Mellon management do is say things are going to be fixed and they never are
The fob u off and lie about maintenance occurring and have no interest in saving or caring for their customers

All we were told to do is

" go away for a couple of months and come back when the jobs are finished" - food and beverage duty manager- Steve

The general manager could only reply with we don't have the budget to deal with these problems and there is no way we can give u any grace with urban payments or refunds

I know for a fact that the law states that if a company provides a service and cannot fulfill it's obligation , not only are u entitled to a refund but compensation also

We also tried to speak to the regional manager , and spoke to his secretary instead . She said he would phone us back
That was three weeks ago were still waiting for his call

So overall not a great experience .

Everything's fine if u DON'T complain

Good luck

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank colseywolsey
Philip T, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

I'm sorry that you have not been satisfied by my responses to date and our telephone conversation and I regret that you have found it necessary to air your views on this forum rather than meet with me personally. As I explained, the issue with pool temperature was resolved in December as soon as replacement parts were sourced. It is maintained at a constant 30 degrees- a requirement of our contract with the children’s swimming classes. Similarly, the issue with the showers in the gents have been addressed, as you know and the one outstanding shower issue in the ladies will be resolved on 5th February by our contractors. I'm sorry that these repairs have taken longer than you, and indeed we, would like but it is often the case than parts are nor readily available and have to be ordered. Please be assured, we welcome constructive feedback as it is our desire to make the club a venue which you can full enjoy and participate in

Again, I reiterate my invitation to meet at your convenience to discuss your concerns.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed for four nights in Sept 2012. This was our third stay. We were allocated a lovely room on the ground floor. Would not stay in a garden room. The break was mixing work and pleasure. Good value for money and within easy reach to Cardiff. The breakfast was o.k. Had dinner one evening but my husband could have eaten another!!!!!. The staff were very helpfull and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room inside the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Cymraes11
Philip T, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Annwyl Cymraes,

Mae'n dda i weld fod Cymru Cymraeg yma hefyd!

Thank you for your review and to take the time to comment on Trip Advisor. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay here in the deep south! I hope it won't be too long before we can welcome you back to the hotel once more.

Diolch unwaith eto.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Booked the hotel for a business trip, the WiFi and breakfast included price is generally good with Best Western Hotels.
Parked up in the car park and duly emptied the laptop, brief case and overnight bag only to be told at reception that I was in a "garden room" which was just round the front of the hotel around the corner. I was advised that I should have asked for a room in the hotel. It turned out to be the penultimate garden room, (think motel), furthest away from reception.
The room was ok, albeit dated, but what got me was the lack of WiFi, I was told it was cabled, the cable had an old style phone plug, not suitable for ADSL sockets. Reception then told me they would get me another cable, which they did, but this one had the wrong plug at both ends. This meant I had to walk back and forth to the hotel and hook up with the WiFi to send emails and data.
The following night I asked for another cable and was told that all the cables were given out, I wonder if this is somesort of wheeze, designed to placate the business guest.
Food was ok, I would suggest the bar meals as a better choice.
Breakfast was ok service not so good. Being left standing waiting to be shown your seat whilst staff walk past several times is annoying.

Room Tip: Book a room in the Hotel, especially if you need the WiFi, it's lonley in the far "grden ro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MPFB

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. At present, it would be true to say that a few of our rooms are not covered by the wi-fi. Where this is the case, a cabled service is available for our guests to provide Ethernet connectivity. I'm sorry if you found this less than ideal, I understand your frustration Please be assured that we are working on providing full wi fi connectivity through the hotel very soon. Next time you visit us, please contact me personally- I'll be happy to ensure you have a room with full connectivity.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Before reading this review you need to consider the following: this is a 3 star hotel and country club, it is a bit tired but in keeping with the stars and price. We bought a dinner bed and breakfast deal for £100/ room per night and paid extra for the children's meals -anyone wanting a swanky spa experience needs to go to a 5 star hotel with a similar price tag...so...

We had a lovely stay in the hotel at the beginning of January. The swimming pool was perfect for our girls and I enjoyed a very relaxing, and I inexpensively priced massage while we were there. The food was nice and the room was warm and very comfortable. In fact we had to turn the heating down over night. The staff were also fantastic; really kind and helpful. Thoroughly enjoyable and good value for money.

Room Tip: Garden rooms really spacious and all beds comfortable.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Rosie

Delighted to read your review of your recent say- than you so much for taking the time.

I was pleased you liked the new mattresses, a recent improvement, in the Garden Rooms- they're ideal rooms for families, giving far more room and privacy.

Come back to see us soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

We celebrated a family birthday at this hotel, and couldn't fault it. 18 of us (aged 7 months to 68) and a dog, had a great day and evening, staying in the garden rooms. These were spacious, very cosy and spotless. Nothing was too much trouble for the friendly welcoming staff. They provided a private dining room which allowed all the parents to relax with the children unconfined by formal dining. The standard and quality of the dinners and breakfasts was excellent and the lovely swimming pool and spa, also run by excellent staff, were great for the whole family. We would recommend it very highly, and we can't believe the negative comments about this hotel.

Room Tip: We only used the garden rooms, as there were young children in the party, and a dog, but would gladl...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed her on and off for 18 months. You pay for what you get. This was once a fantastic hotel but is in need of renovation. The price is good and it has a gym pool etc. disappointed that after 18 months the meal choice is exactly the same it never changes and never a specials board. No problem if you only plan to stay once as the food is pretty good but its another sign that this place is cashing in on an asset that it no longer invests in. Shame!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013

Mr. Williams

Thanks for the feedback on your stays with us- always very welcome.

You'll be delighted to know that we have a series of new seasonal menus being introduced shortly - all freshly prepared using great ingredients. Spring time should also see a 'sprucing up' of parts of the hotel following recent changes in ownership, although the details are still being finalised.
I sincerely hope you continue to stay with us- we appreciate your custom and please remember- if you fancy something which is not on the menu, please do ask. If we have it, we'll make it for you, as we often do for many of our regular clients.