“Disappointing and Shabby felt robbed by what I paid”
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

St. Mellons Hotel
Ranked #50 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and paid £99 per night. We got here after staying at the fabulous Lamphey Court Hotel which was only £10 more for the deluxe room. The hotel was rundown and shabby from the outside and in the bedrooms. The communal areas were fine though. This biggest disappointment was our bed, which I complained about on leaving, our first night of sleep was awful, imagine our surprise when we lifted the mattress to find the divan below had collapsed and was replaced by sheets of chipboard, you might get away with this with a quality mattress but it wasn't. The staff were lovely and the food was good and I did not make a fuss as it was just a base for visiting Cardiff. I guess my biggest problem was on check out when after having paid in advance I got a bill, imagine my horror when the bill was for only £79.60 for 2 nights and breakfast, I had paid £198. No wonder so many people on Trip Advisor were saying such nice things about the hotel. If i had paid this maybe I would not have been so disappointed by the bed and the general shabbiness of the bedrooms and exterior. I would strongly urge Best Western and Bespoke Hotels to visit this hotel as I believe it is brand damaging. I had a lovely e-mail from the manager apologising for our disappointment and asking us to come back. Never I'm afraid, even at £79 I would rather stay in a travel lodge. Its such a shame it is a lovely building and it could be every bit as beautiful as the Lamphey Court if only they would spend some money on the place.

Room Tip: Don't bother going would be my tip
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine T

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I spent 4 years staying here previously whilst working in the area about 3 years ago so returning was not a problem for another 5 months. I am not a fan of plastic corporate hotels and hate noise. St Mellons solves both these problems being individual and quiet. It does what it says on the tin. Some rooms are a little tired but in general very good. Staff training can be an issue for new staff but the old hands are absolutely awesome. I will miss you.

Room Tip: I would go for the main building.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kimbad
Philip T, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Welcome back Kimbad! It's been a pleasure having you stay with us again.
I'm delighted you like our facilities ahere and are satisfied with the way we are looking after you.

Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

This place specialises in Weddings which means if you are not the bride or guests, your needs come second. We felt we inconvenienced staff when showing up for dinner with our 3 kids. They were busy with the wedding reception and the guests behaved like they owned the place and were loud and drunk. We were asked to sit down for dinner in bar with this bunch of drunk people. We tried to sit down but it was literally ear shatteringly loud and was not the start of a relaxing weekend away. To their credit they decided to let us sit in the closed restaurant for dinner. The prospect of a nice dinner in that dining room was the reason we booked here at all. I am disappointed they didn't tell me the restaurant would be closed as I talked to the hotel reception about the booking a couple of days before arriving. That all said, this is a nice hotel. Be aware that many of the rooms are located motel style a bit up the road and you have a separate entry and park your car in front of room. Small entrance area for hanging costs, placing suitcases and entry to bathroom. Separate door to bedroom which avoids drafts. Beds are comfortable and rooms large. We had some issues with hot water in morning. Second person in shower had cold water??

Takes 2 mins to walk to main building for breakfast and dinner or for using the pool. Breakfast was very good however kids' hot chocolate was made with water not milk and they were not impressed. We had dinner for 5 two nights and we were all happy with food. Dining room is nice and was part of the reason we booked here. We all tried the pool. Towels are provided and change rooms are well laid out with coin lockers.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Lise C

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. I'm glad you had a good time, in spite of the efforts of some of our more 'enthusiastic' wedding guests!
This does not usually present a problem as weddings are normally 'self contained' in another area of the hotel.
Glad you here of your intentions to return soon and I look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed at the St Mellons Hotel this week. It is second time I have stayed at the hotel. The first time I had a room in the main building, this time I had a garden room. Whilst I will agree that the hotel rooms could do with some refurbishment, (I believe that this is already underway) I do not think the cleanliness of the hotel public areas and its rooms can be faulted. The rooms are warm and the bedding, carpets etc spotless.

More importantly the staff are great. I am vegan and on both occasions that I have stayed at St Mellons the chef and the restaurant staff have gone out of their way to accommodate me without any complaint.

I don't feel I can ask for any more (except perhaps Soya milk ;-))

Would recommend this hotel to anyone and am intending to stay there again next month.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LondonGonefishing
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed here with two friends and found it to be quite nice. We got it pretty cheap, almost the price of a hostel, so I was very impressed. Our room looked like it was getting a little tired, but everything was clean and worked properly. The bed was comfortable, but someone had put the bedside alarm clock on and it woke us up at midnight. Probably not the hotel's fault though. We used the swimming pool, spa and sauna and that was all very nice. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good. The only downside was that it was a little way out from the centre of Cardiff so wouldnt be so good if you didnt have a car. We did so it wasn't much of an issue for us. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank meganrachael
Reviewed 26 February 2013

In it's prime years, this place was probably fantastic. As it is today, it was still a nice little find on short notice. We booked a triple room and it was set up accordingly. The staff members were friendly. The gardens and golf club around make for nice scenery and quiet, relaxing atmosphere. Hotel is a little drive from Cardiff, but worth the travel in a car for the quietness. We also used the pool, spa, and sauna during our stay- no complaints there either. All you can eat breakfast served in a beautiful room. We stayed in one of the garden rooms--very quiet (except the last guest had the alarm set for midnight which woke us all up that night!) All in all, very good value. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Garden room 30 on the very end--very quiet
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vawn K
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night over the weekend. We really enjoyed our stay which included bed and breakfast. The leisure facilities were lovely and the room was comfortable. The few hotel staff we met seemed pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful and freshly cooked. In general, we agreed the hotel could do with some renovations but all in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013