“Better than expected!”
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

St. Mellons Hotel
Ranked #46 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Colleagues had slated this place: I actually found it rather nice, despite the AWFUL driveway (badly affected by the cold winter, to be kind). I am not normally a fan of "garden rooms" and having to brave the elements to get one's meals etc, but this was quiet, spacious, clean, and WARM!!!! With the weather w have been having, this was a definite plus. Also, the TV was very good, with excellent radio reception (R4 in the morning). A very roomy and well equipped bathroom was another plus, as was the better than average lighting all round. Being able to park immediately outside also made loading and unloading one's belongings so much easier. Dinner very good indeed, breakfast rather less so: bacon very poor, sausages better. Bread average (toast); rolls at breakfast were either previous day's or had been frozen. Coffee poor. The first day, it took nearly 20 minutes to get a glass of water to take with my pills (I cannot drink fruit juice). Reception was efficient and friendly both in and out. Overall, the experience was let down most by the breakfast. It would help if the rather monosyllabic man taking the orders paid a little more attention to his personal hygiene: not what one wants first thing in the morning. I also had to ask the very efficient girl doing the serving to correct a couple of things he had omitted. Shame. this knocked it back from a 4 to a 3, it was so poor. Lastly, as it was a late booking, I was charged 25% extra for the first night over the normal rate: this is cheeky!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for St. Mellons Hotel

Reviewed 8 April 2013

On arrival booking in was straight forward, welcoming and proffesional. The pet friendly chalet was clean well laid out and perfect for my wife and our two dogs.
At evening meal the staff could not be helpfull enough, my wife has various allergies and is vergitarian but the staff took this in their stride and between them and the chef an excellent meal was prepared. Service was fantastic throughout the stay and to finish it off breakfast and service was second to none.

Look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The pet friendly rooms are to the side of the hotel as pets are not allowed inside however the chale...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WinstonHarrow
Philip T, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Thank you for the kind review of your recent stay at St. Mellons. I'm delighted that you and dogs enjoyed your stay. I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Having read a recent review of membership, felt I had to voice my concerns. I was also a member of the leisure club back in 2010/11 and complained about the state of the changing rooms, cleaned only once a day! Also the pool was cold during the winter, and again when complaints were voiced I was told that the pump/boiler wasn't working properly but talking to other members it has never been right in the winter. The seats in the steam room that are cracked have been cracked for years. It promises much but doesn't deliver and i never got a refund either. No money being psnet on it and staff don't seem to care.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alun G

Thank you for your recent comments regarding the leisure facilities at the hotel. I am happy to confirm that the pump/boiler is working well following the work which was carried out in February last year. I'm afraid I can not agree with your inaccurate comments regarding the facilities being cleaned once a day as they are being constantly monitored by the leisure team. The facilities are thoroughly cleaned overnight and again in the afternoon.
Thank you once again for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back as a member one day.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and paid £99 per night. We got here after staying at the fabulous Lamphey Court Hotel which was only £10 more for the deluxe room. The hotel was rundown and shabby from the outside and in the bedrooms. The communal areas were fine though. This biggest disappointment was our bed, which I complained about on leaving, our first night of sleep was awful, imagine our surprise when we lifted the mattress to find the divan below had collapsed and was replaced by sheets of chipboard, you might get away with this with a quality mattress but it wasn't. The staff were lovely and the food was good and I did not make a fuss as it was just a base for visiting Cardiff. I guess my biggest problem was on check out when after having paid in advance I got a bill, imagine my horror when the bill was for only £79.60 for 2 nights and breakfast, I had paid £198. No wonder so many people on Trip Advisor were saying such nice things about the hotel. If i had paid this maybe I would not have been so disappointed by the bed and the general shabbiness of the bedrooms and exterior. I would strongly urge Best Western and Bespoke Hotels to visit this hotel as I believe it is brand damaging. I had a lovely e-mail from the manager apologising for our disappointment and asking us to come back. Never I'm afraid, even at £79 I would rather stay in a travel lodge. Its such a shame it is a lovely building and it could be every bit as beautiful as the Lamphey Court if only they would spend some money on the place.

Room Tip: Don't bother going would be my tip
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine T
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I spent 4 years staying here previously whilst working in the area about 3 years ago so returning was not a problem for another 5 months. I am not a fan of plastic corporate hotels and hate noise. St Mellons solves both these problems being individual and quiet. It does what it says on the tin. Some rooms are a little tired but in general very good. Staff training can be an issue for new staff but the old hands are absolutely awesome. I will miss you.

Room Tip: I would go for the main building.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kimbad

Welcome back Kimbad! It's been a pleasure having you stay with us again.
I'm delighted you like our facilities ahere and are satisfied with the way we are looking after you.

Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

This place specialises in Weddings which means if you are not the bride or guests, your needs come second. We felt we inconvenienced staff when showing up for dinner with our 3 kids. They were busy with the wedding reception and the guests behaved like they owned the place and were loud and drunk. We were asked to sit down for dinner in bar with this bunch of drunk people. We tried to sit down but it was literally ear shatteringly loud and was not the start of a relaxing weekend away. To their credit they decided to let us sit in the closed restaurant for dinner. The prospect of a nice dinner in that dining room was the reason we booked here at all. I am disappointed they didn't tell me the restaurant would be closed as I talked to the hotel reception about the booking a couple of days before arriving. That all said, this is a nice hotel. Be aware that many of the rooms are located motel style a bit up the road and you have a separate entry and park your car in front of room. Small entrance area for hanging costs, placing suitcases and entry to bathroom. Separate door to bedroom which avoids drafts. Beds are comfortable and rooms large. We had some issues with hot water in morning. Second person in shower had cold water??

Takes 2 mins to walk to main building for breakfast and dinner or for using the pool. Breakfast was very good however kids' hot chocolate was made with water not milk and they were not impressed. We had dinner for 5 two nights and we were all happy with food. Dining room is nice and was part of the reason we booked here. We all tried the pool. Towels are provided and change rooms are well laid out with coin lockers.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Lise C

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. I'm glad you had a good time, in spite of the efforts of some of our more 'enthusiastic' wedding guests!
This does not usually present a problem as weddings are normally 'self contained' in another area of the hotel.
Glad you here of your intentions to return soon and I look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed at the St Mellons Hotel this week. It is second time I have stayed at the hotel. The first time I had a room in the main building, this time I had a garden room. Whilst I will agree that the hotel rooms could do with some refurbishment, (I believe that this is already underway) I do not think the cleanliness of the hotel public areas and its rooms can be faulted. The rooms are warm and the bedding, carpets etc spotless.

More importantly the staff are great. I am vegan and on both occasions that I have stayed at St Mellons the chef and the restaurant staff have gone out of their way to accommodate me without any complaint.

I don't feel I can ask for any more (except perhaps Soya milk ;-))

Would recommend this hotel to anyone and am intending to stay there again next month.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business