“Weekend stay”

Ranked #44 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Weekend stay”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I was nervous about this hotel having read the reviews. The exterior of the main building is lovely and the grounds are neat and well maintained. the staff were really helpful and very friendly - we felt very welcome. The hotel interior is tired and needs a complete facelift and the area I assumed was staff accommodation turned out to be where our room was!! Disappointing :(. It really needs knocking down and starting again! However, the food was great, breakfast fab and the pool was modern and clean. Overall, I would stay again but I would need to pay a lot less.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
North Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

This could be such a good place. The building is superb and the grounds are great but the staff need better leadership.

Everything takes two or three requests, food and drink orders are often wrong and the finishing touched are missing (no newspapers, hopeless wifi etc).

Let's hope the new owners take the place by the scruff of the neck!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SWB2807

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Fareham
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The service and food was good. The surrounding views were pretty with some relaxing walks nearby. However the rooms we stayed in were clean but very compact and outdated. A little overpriced for what the room offered.

Room Tip: The spa and massage facilities were very good, good value for money and definitely recommended.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel H
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Enjoyed a spa day here at St Mellons. The staff were friendly and attentive. The pool lovely and warm and very relaxing. Our lunch was delicious, must come here for an evening meal soon. Our beauty therapist was excellent and another reminder to myself to book other treatments. I had a back massage with stones and a facial. Really didnt want it to end. Throughly enjoyable day. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
wales uk
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my family for new year, a confusion with the booking but sorted out with elizabeth in reception, and ended up with a better deal, rooms were spotless and welcoming, food, service, spa etc. were all a1, it was nice to be waited on! A bit quiet for New Year's Eve some entertainment or music would have been good, we would have liked some spa treatments but being New Year's Day we were told it was closed my teenage daughters were a bit disappointed, but overall it was an excellent stay and hope to return as all the staff made you feel special and welcome

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We booked for our wedding anniversary and when we arrived Elizabeth the lady on reception upgraded us to the bridal suite for no extra charge. Great food, friendly staff and a fantastic location. for a quick drive to central Cardiff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin W
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The reason I haven't given this hotel one is because it deserves an extra point for the friendly staff - I'll start from when I arrived having booked this hotel (and rooms) for a business event.

This may seem a really petty, tiny thing but the really heavy front doors open outwards - I was carrying loads of kit plus my bags so pretty much fell through the door by the time I managed to get it open. They really need automatic doors.

Despite me having booked an event and spoken to the staff several times over the phone they had me registered as 'Mr'. The friendly receptionist moved me immediately to an 'inside room' so thankfully I didn't have to walk outside from the carry on camping style 'Garden Rooms'. Arrived in the room and the window was wide open and had been for sometime so the room was freezing - it was impossible to close but the friendly receptionist came up pretty quickly to close it for me.

The room was clean but in the bathroom the floor tiles were lifting away from the floor and there were tiles missing off the wall. At dinner, after sometime, I discovered I was sat inches away from a grotty looking bowl that was sat on the floor collecting drips from a ceiling that looked like it was about to collapse. Food was acceptable but nothing was really stand out.

The worst was yet to come.... In the morning I was taking a shower and the water just stopped for about five minutes - this is not good when you are dripping wet and have shampoo all over your hair! In my view this is totally unacceptable - although the water didn't come through burning hot when it finally restarted, it was warmer than I would have liked.

Breakfast was ok but again nothing stand out. My breakfast event also went well with the help of friendly staff but again the room we were in has seen better days and there was an upleasant damp smell coming from the leisure complex. What was frustrating was that, despite booking an event, our rooms has been charged at rack rate where other speakers had booked later through late rooms and got a significantly cheaper rate. I would expect to be given a preferential rate when booking an event.

The redeeming factor was that the manager did knock £40 off my bill but really the lovely staff should not have to keep mitigating the problems of a tired old hotel that desperately needs repair and refurbishment. It's such a shame that Best Westerns vary so wildly in their quality because I've stayed at somereally good ones. I know it's not a five star place but equally I don't have problems like this is Premier Inns which can be up to a third of the cost I paid here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Ibis Cardiff Gate
#3 of 73 in Cardiff
Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Campanile Hotel Cardiff
#47 of 73 in Cardiff

Been to St. Mellons Hotel? Share your experiences!