“Excellent value for mini-breaks”
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

St. Mellons Hotel
Ranked #43 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for mini-breaks”
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Spent a thoroughly enjoyable weekend at St. Mellons, for not a great deal of cash. Guests may use the excellent, reasonably sized indoor pool and facilities of the attached health club on site. Can't comment on the evening meals, but we'll certainly be back. A wedding on each day of stay, but no significant disturbance. Very pleasant staff - though I didn't envy those struggling to run the health club reception AND staff the attached member's bar (open to guests). Can only assume that there's been quite a sort-out since the previous unfavourable reviews.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marchmaine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Hampshire, England
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Some of my, Cardiff based, colleagues suggested this as a suitable hotel in which to stay. I can understand how, to a non-resident, this hotel looks really nice. The spa and conference facilities are modern and finished to a high standard.

There could not be more of a contrast to the rooms on the other side of the hotel. I have never felt true feelings of nausea in a hotel anywhere in the world before (and I have stayed extensively in third world locations), but nausea is what I experienced here.

The room, into which I was checked, was motel style next to the hotel. On entering I was hit by an overwhelming stench of mould. Going around the room, I found an overflowing ashtray in one corner that was being used to collect water from a leak. The paint was peeling and the carpet dirty. I decided to make a coffee and found the kettle to be disgusting. The stale water in the kettle was, and I do not exaggerate here, the same colour as water in a toilet which has been used and then not flushed for several days. This is when the nausea hit.

I went to reception who changed me into another room. I stated that the room that I had been in was totally unfit for habitation until serious work had been done on it. The next room was, at least dry and had a new bathroom, but once again the paint was badly pealing in the bedroom and cleanliness left a lot to be desired.

Half an hour later I went to dinner. Remember the room that I said was not fit for habitation; well I passed it and some poor soul had been checked into it. I cannot believe this level of disregard for paying customers.

Next time, I will be staying somewhere, anywhere, other than at this dire hotel.

2 Thank Pete-Watson

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We stayed here for a relaxing spa holiday. The restaurant staff and food was terrible, the rooms in the chalets need updating, the bar closed at 11pm and was impossible to get drink after that even from room service. This was not a 4 star hotel, Ive staying in much much better. Was diffiult to park and the car park was full of rubbish. Not happy and would not stay there or reccommend. The only good thing was the pool although the steam room and sauna was out of service for our stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2009
Please be assured that all at the St Mellons Hotel take any comment very seriously, and I can only apologise for the disappointment you felt regarding our restaurant. we are a three star hotel, and offer a 24 hour night service on the bar, and I am unsure as to why you could not get served once the main bar had closed for the evening.

I am sorry that the steam room and Sauna were out of service during your stay, but sometimes we have maintenance issues that cannot be repaired by our in house team

Thank you for your constructive feedback, please be assured it will be passed onto the relevant departments. Without such comments we cannot hope to improve the quality of the hotel and the services offered.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
London
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I stayed at St Mellons on a business trip for a week in March and generally the place was OK but could have been a lot better. The food, location, setting, facilities (gym and pool) were all excellent, but the attention to detail and staff were not up to scratch.

I had to wait approximately 30 minutes to check in, and gaining internet access was very slow also. Rooms were adequate but no more and the hotel's interior seemed drab and in need of updating.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I'm assuming that we must have stopped here at the same time as "tr00dle" below, because we had drunken vomiting wedding guests outside and an unannounced fireworks display (at 10:30pm) as well, that woke up our 8 year old son. Not impressed with that. The drunk guests couldn't be helped, but a warning about the firework display would have been appreciated.

A shame really, because the main part of St Mellons Hotel seems like a nice place; the staff were excellent; some of the most friendly, polite and eager hotel staff I've ever met. The food was absolutely wonderful; a wide variety of original meals to choose from, with a child friendly menu as well. The swimming pool was very nice as well, enjoyed by my wife and son.

We were based outside of the main hotel building in what looked a bit like a motel. The rooms weren't too cramped, the bathroom was ok (but could have done with some blinds on the frosted window slats) but the noise from the water pipes whenever any of the neighbours used the toilet/sink/shower was incredible.

Although we were a little disappointed, I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone on the caveat that they made sure they were stopping in the main hotel building, and that there weren't any weddings on at that particular time!

• Liked — The wonderful staff and the magnificent food
  • Disliked — The slightly shabby motel out buildings
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2008

Please be assured that all at the St Mellons Hotel take any comment very seriously, and I can only apologise for the lack of warning regarding the fire works, which were part of one of the wedding celebrations.

Thank you for your constructive feedback, and your kind comments regarding the staff, which I have passed onto the relevant departments. Without such comments we cannot hope to improve the quality of the hotel and the services offered.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Wales
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We stayed in this hotel for three nights over a weekend. The first night there was a wedding reception in the hotel, and we had drunk guests hammering on our door and vomiting outside. The second night we were woken by a fireworks display (another wedding party).

We were staying in an annexe to the main hotel, perhaps that was the problem. The rooms were reasonably nice, but there was a leak in the roof, causing a large wet patch on the carpet, and the shower came on at random times.

The staff were very pleasant, and the food was good, but breakfast on the last morning was late, and we weren't offered tea/coffee or toast, but had to request them.

All in all, not worth the cost. Oh, and some confusion arose because there are two separate hotels listed - this one and the St Mellons Golf Course hotel - they are in fact the same place.

• Liked — the bathroom
  • Disliked — the noisy guests
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Please be assured that all at the St Mellons Hotel take any comment very seriously, and I have discussed the points raised with the relevant Departmental Managers. I can only apologise for the lack of warning regarding the fire works, which were part of one of the wedding celebrations.

Thank you for your constructive feedback, as without such comments we cannot hope to improve the quality of the hotel and the services offered.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future