“A nice surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Paignton, United Kingdom
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and got a great deal with Superbreaks. We were in the main hotel (room 26) which overlooked the front of the hotel, with a great view. The room was nice, a tiny bit tired in places but everything was nice and clean. Part of our deal was dinner on the first night which was great. The food was excellent and the service was good. The restaurant wasnt full but this probably suited us.
We had the breakfast both days which was excellent, again loads of choice. The second morning was self serve which was good as you could have more of anything you wanted. We used the gym which was ok but didnt get to use the pool area which looked good (fairly new). We drove into Cardiff both days (about 20 mins) for shopping but got lost both days coming back!
We would stay here again but would ask to be in the main hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

I've just checked into this room and it's worse than student accommodation that I had at uni. It's dirty, dated, full of spiders nests and I've gone out 4 dinner because I can't face eating in the restaurant. I'm dreading going back jn2 the filthy room and am checking availability at the nearest holiday inn. I've complained but am told that the room is cleaned daily which is a blatant lie cos spiders can't nest that quickly. It's the worst place ever, I'm staying 2 attend a hotel but would never return and won't ever recommend. I will be writing 2 complain when I'm back home it's just disgusting. It makes camping seem like 5* accommodation.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Winchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

My husband and i stayed for 2 nights in one of the 'garden rooms' as we were there with our two dogs. (Dogs aren't allowed in the main building). I believe that there is an additional £10 per dog per night charge. However, the hotel forgot to charge this to us and needless to say we didn't point it out!!
After reading all the reviews I was a little anxious about what we were going to find, however, it was better than I'd expected!
The hotel is set away from the road about 1/2 mile down a country lane through a golf course. It's a nice quite location. We were attending a dog agility competition at Tredegar House, this hotel was perfectly located about 5 or 10 minutes drive away.
One of the first things you see is a disused tennis court with the concrete cracking and weeds growing through, not a great 1st impression! However, we parked and found the reception which was clean and inviting and the receptionist extremely friendly and helpful.
The garden rooms are arranged like an american motel building. Each has it's own door directly to outside - really handy when travelling with dogs. You can also park right outside the front door.
The room is more like a suite. it has an entrance hallway, modern bathroom with nice powerful shower and two sinks. All decorated and finished nicely except the old school -type window! The water pipes were exceptionally noisy after the toilet had been flushed, not a problem for us but i'm sure the people in the room next door found it annoying, especially as we were up and flushing the toilet very early each day!
The main bedroom had a double and single bed. I was a disappointed by this as I would expect a kingsize bed as standard these days, especially in a hotel rated 4*. This was the biggest issue for us.
Breakfast was served from 8am. We would have liked this to be a little earlier but it didnt cause a major drama. The hotel does offer a 24hour room service but i thought the extra £5 per person charge was a bit steep! The actual breakfast was very nice with an extensive menu. We had pastries and a cooked breakfast - everything was lovely and the service was fast and friendly.
We didnt use the restaurant, bar or leisure facilities so i cannot comment on these.

Overall, this hotel was good for the purpose we wanted it for, ie, a crash pad for us and the dogs. I plan to book again for next years agility show at Tregedar, however, i wouldn't recommend the 'garden rooms' as anywhere particularly special to spend a romantic weekend. As a base and crashpad, it does the trick!
i'm guessing the 4* rating applies to the rooms in the main building as I'd say the garden rooms were more like 3*.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

I've just returned from St Mellons after a 3 night stay for the weekend with my husband. Having read the reviews before I was a bit apprehensive as to what to expect, and I did ring the hotel to request a room in the main building as I'd read that the garden rooms weren't up to much. However on arrival we were given a garden room, or chalet, which didn't impress me as I'd been told we had been allocated a room in the main building when I called. But the room was lovely. I must have been lucky to have been in one of the recently refurbished rooms, the bathroom all looked pretty new, the bedroom was a bit chinzy (the wallpaper was a bit old fashioned) but it was all very clean and I had no problems at all with any of the amenities in the room (a tip - if you want to turn on the tv you use the switch next to the bed about 20 feet from the tv - strange but we found it eventually! lol) The staff we dealt with were all very polite, nothing seemed too much trouble, the receptionist bought us an abundance of tea coffee and milk when we requested some at 11pm one night.
Our evening meal in the restaurant was very nice, although if you have a hearty appetite I'd recommend the bar/room service menu for a cheaper but bigger meal. Bar drinks a little expensive, but not more than I would have expected from this quality hotel. Hotel breakfast was lovely, no complaints, although we had thought of having breakfast in our rooms as the hotel offers 24 hour room service, but then noticed the £5 per person supplement for this - very excessive I feel, needless to say we made our way to the main hotel for breakfast each day!
Leisure facilities were lovely, great pool, jacuzzi and steam room, although like other comments a water dispenser for drinks would have been nice. Be warned the changing rooms are communal only, unless you want to get changed in the loo. And Sunday afternoon seems to be swimming lesson time for lots of local children. They rope of a bit of the pool so it doesn't interfere with anyone else swimming, just not as quiet as I'd hoped for my relaxing afternoon.
A lovely place for a nice little break, but as said before not too close to Cardiff Centre - a cab cost us £18 each way to get to central Cardiff.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed here with a friend as a 'weekend away' treat in June. It has been recommended to us by another friend who had got married there several years ago.
From the outside, the hotel looks impressive and would be a lovely setting for wedding photos but it is a bit off the beaten track - do not book if you are expecting to find yourself in central Cardiff in minutes!
We had booked a double room and were disappointed to find that we were in a 'chalet', outside of the main hotel. This ground floor room (which had 3 single beds) was old, dingy and not overly clean, with bathroom facilities we were less than impressed with. It was a hot weekend but we didn't want to leave the window open as it would have been easily accessible to burglars. When it came to bedtime the curtains in the room did not close on one side, though fortunately we had a safety pin to fix this.
The free spa facilities were good, though the hot tub was broken and there was nowhere to get any drinking water once in the sauna/pool area.
Because of a wedding, breakfast was not in the usual place but was a temporary buffet in another room. The queue was huge and by the time we got to the front, the food was disappointing.
Staff at the hotel were young and helpful but unless i had to attend a function there, i wouldn't choose to stay at the St Mellons again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
"thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on the hotel. I would like to apologise for the issues you raised regarding your stay. Our Garden rooms are in the middle of an ongoing refurbishment plan, and whilst they are ground floor rooms, all of the windows have security locks to allow the windows to be safely left open in the summer months.

Whilst we try no to have queues at breakfast, there are times at weekends, when all of the guests come for breakfast at the same time, and queues cannot be avoided.

thank you once again for taking the time to leave your comments, and I hope you will return to the hotel soon
Buckinghamshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

Like so many other reviews have said, this hotel could be fantastic but is desperately in need of some refurbishment. I would also suggest that the staff whilst friendly and polite are probably lacking training and don't seem to work as a team.

On the plus side the swimming pool was really good. Staff were friendly and hepful and they take both children and dogs.

On the more negative side: Service in the restaurant was dreadful. We ordered a bottle of wine at the start of our meal, we chased it at the end of our first course and cancelled the order for it when it still had not arrived at the end of our main course! The waitress kept saying she was sorry but the bar was busy. However, when a restuarant customer has ordered a bottle of wine, surely delivering it to go with their food must be a priority? After waiting about 20 minutes for our plates to be removed, we foolishly ordered desserts. After 20 minutes we were reassured that they were on their way. Another 20 minutes and they arrived - a long wait for cold desserts, but by this point we just wanted to leave and get our children to bed. It took nearly 2.5 hours for us to have a meal, which might be fine in some circumstances, it is less than ideal with 2 children and no wine!

We were not prepared to risk a repeat performance, so we went out for the second night of our stay. During a similar amount of time we were able to drive in and out of Cardiff, walk around the resturant area and eat an enjoyable meal.

I also found it disappointing that there were flyers throughout the hotel for spa treatments "available today" but when I tried to book one I was told they were fully booked all weekend. Why promote something you can not deliver - surely when the spa is fully booked, it is time to collect up the flyers? A small detail but in the hospitality sector, attention to detail is what makes the difference between something that is just OK and something you want to rave about to your friends.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
OHIML, Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I would like to apologise to you for the delay in the restaurant on the Saturday night of your stay. The restaurant was vey busy that night, with several large parties, which caused the service to be slower than we would have ideally have liked, but we do aim to offer a relaxed dinning experience, and I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations this time
I do hope you will visit the hotel again in the hear future, to see what we can offer.
devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

We stayed here one night because we wanted to visit the John Lewis store.
The staff were all very pleasant. we had a nice big bathroom. the net curtain in the bedroom had a big rip in. and the chairs were dusty around the edges. I have been a housekeeper in the big hotels in bouremouth for many years so maybe i look out for these things!
We had a nice evening meal and the breakfast was good.
It was good for the money, and we would stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff
Ibis Cardiff Gate
#42 of 76 in Cardiff
New House Country Hotel
New House Country Hotel
#3 of 76 in Cardiff

Been to St. Mellons Hotel? Share your experiences!