“Cardiff Bargain”

Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #56 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is motel-style accommodation, arranged in two, two-storey blocks with a separate reception/dining block. It looks dated and a bit shabby from the outside, but our twin room was more than adequate for our two night stay. We were visiting family nearby so only wanted a place to sleep and wash. It was clean, warm, the beds were extremely comfortable, and the bathroom had everything we wanted. Because all the rooms open on to outside walkways, there was no disturbance from other guests slamming doors, and noise from the nearby A48 was minimal. The hotel is built on a very steep slope, so probably not suitable for disabled or infirm guests and we wouldn't fancy it in snow or ice! At £35 per night for the twin room we will definitely be returning next time we are in Cardiff.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back, away from the car park, are preferable
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jenseyHerts
There are newer reviews for Campanile Hotel Cardiff

Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights over easter holidays and got charged £97 for a double room which we found extremely overpriced for the facilities offered. Located on the outskirts of Cardiff, it provides an emergency alternative if you fail to get rooms in the nearby Premier Inn or travelodge. It seems fine if you need a bed to crash in for one night but a stretch otherwise. For starters its an excellent hotel for those who need disabled access, with prompt services if you are to use the disabled alarm. Otherwise you are in for weird looking bathrooms, with a bath tub meant for infants. The room carpets aint clean and if you are unfortunate enough to get a ground floor room, expect noise and peeks from people using the parking lot. Breakfast is good, but quite overpriced. Nearest amneties are a Waitrose open only on weekdays and a service station 5 minutes drive away. Rooms feel stuffy and poorly ventilated. For the price we paid, a complete let down.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2012

It started well on the first night, had a delicious meal cooked by a welshman who really knew how to cook, got a good nights sleep, that's where it ended! The next night was shared with a group of noisy french kids who kept slamming doors and shouting late at night, the chef was changed later in the week where I ordered fish and chips but it was so tough thar I could not cut it, the waiter seemed suprised that there was a problem and after I asked for a repkacement the atmosphere changed upon hearing the kitchen staff loudly banging plates etc and I was re-served half of a fish on a small plate which was not much better. I now go elsewhere to eat. Credit where credit is due, I complimented the Welsh chef on his skills but the French chef obviously could not take criticism even when it merited it. I will not be going back here as it desperately needs updating but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank stvkeay
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and I can say that it is a good and cheap hotel.
The room was nice with everything you need, spotless and the bed was comfortable.
Check-in was very quick with the manager. Breakfast were ok (Little bit expansive for the choice). The chef was friendly and the cooked breakfast was tasty. Croissants and Pain au chocolat were fabulous (I'm french and I love that ...).
The one thing that I hated was the dinner. The food was good but the restaurant manager was not friendly ... We arrived at 8.30pm and the light was already off in the kitchen and the manager wasn't very happy to see that we wanted to get a dinner ... We've loved when the "manager" swept around our table ... We understood that we were not welcome. I can understand that it is annoying to get 3 peoples at 8.30pm when the restaurant is empty but at the end we've paid our bill... (I am cook, and I've worked at Campanile in France a few years ago. So I know)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michel_orkney
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Cher Michel, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor.

I do apologise for any inconvenience and discomfort you endured on this particular visit in our Restaurant, I can assure you I pass your message to my Management Team and to the Restaurant staff for a such incident will not happen again and I am sure my team have learned from this brief experience.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future with some lovely Croissants and Pain au Chocolat for your Breakfast.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 16 February 2012

it doe's what it says on the tin, nice room with everything you need ,nice comortable bed too.
if you need somewhere to stay if you are on business or just visiting cardiff at a good price then this is the place.for you there is a little diner on site, not bad but a little expensive

Room Tip: all rooms the same, 2 story chalet type
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Toshhols,

Thanks for your comments. It is good to hear that you appreciate that we are ‘ A GREAT PLACE TO STAY FOR THE MONEY YOU PAY’, We are focusing on offering great value and this is being recognised. With starters in our restaurant from just £4.50 and main courses as a reasonable price from just £9.50!

See you soon

Reviewed 2 February 2012

Very compact but compared to loads of other hotels/motels this place is a favorite of ours. It's very clean,comfortable, quite and cosy. The staff are always friendly and helpful and for the price it's a good stop. There is also a very nice pub/restaurant just 5 minutes walk up the hill that serves great meals at value prices.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments after a recent stay with us. Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and was suitably impressed with the personal service that we offer. We do try extremely hard to ensure that all our guests are suitably taken care of when staying with us, and it is always a pleasure to hear the feedback when this has been well received, as this indicates to us we are doing something right!

Reviewed 10 December 2011

I normally book 4* hotels, but stayed here for 2 nights with a group of students, and I must admit, I was impressed. The rooms were clean and well presented, the bathroom was spotless, the towels and bedding was all fresh and clean. Rooms all had tea and coffee facilities, checking in and out with 40 people was made simple by the staff and all the rooms were cleaned well during our stay. I didn't hear a single complaint from our students. It was only 20 minutes from the City Centre, £10.00 seemed to be about the average taxi price and I like the chalet style rooms which open to the outside. The back of the hotel overlooks countryside, and there is a small field at the back. Altough the main road is nearby it is very quiet once inside the rooms. The breakfast was very good, a generous continental, and staff were very happy to help answer questions. For a budget hotel at budget prices it would be hard to find better - just be realistic about the price and star rating - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DrPeterDRobinson

Dear Lucy and Peter,

Do you know you can use the public transport which is located at the end of the road (300 yards from the hotel) with a regular service every 7/8 minutes and single ticket cost £1.60 per way!

My team and I look forward to taking care of you again when you next come to stay with us.

Kind regards