“Motel not Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Motel not Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

This place is located behind a small industrial estate and on first impressions, one goes "Oh dear". The accomodation which is dated is seperate to the open plan reception/bar/restaurant which is never ideal but one should think of it as a motel not a hotel. My compamy at the last minute had booked bed and breakfast for me at £54.00 as the Premier Inn, our preferred chain was at about £70.00. I was greeted by a French guy who was very pleasent and pointed me in the direction of my room located across the car park, The rooms are on ground and first floor. Mine was up some stairs and along an outside wooden gangway. There were two doors to enter before getting into the room which had textued paint on the walls and old carpet on the floor. Not great but having said that it had all one needed for a nights stay. A clean bed (it was a twin bedded room), controllable heating, a good sized TV, tea & coffee making facilities and FREE wi-fi. The bathroom was old but everything worked and the water was hot.
The food is expensive at £16.00 for a steak but they did do a three course meal at I think about £13.00. Service was good but the restaurant was very quiet and if I had to stay there again (which is unlikely) I would eat up the road at a local pub called The Village. My cooked breakfast was tasty and served quickly. In all not the worst place to stay but there are a lot better.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Dudley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

for the price it was good !! .. location was a bit rubbish but wasnt to far from city centre and the room was all in all good :) would recommend to a friend big tv for a standard room too and cardiff os a very nice place to visit :) especially by the bay .. loads of restaurants and bars .. plenty to do wasnt bad at all

Room Tip: room 3 was alright !
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

We booked for two nights as it had WiFi in room and free parking. Very strange location at the back of an industrial estate and motorway somewhere in the distance. We arrived late in the evening and immediately there was a very damp smell on entering the room. To our dismay there was mould growing from the wall near the bathroom. The carpet outside the bathroom was soaked. There was a leak which obviously occured before our booking but they still put us in there. The next morning we asked for a change of rooms which they agreed to, however, at no point did any of the staff ask if we enjoyed our stay. Cheap but certainly not cheerful. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Monica C

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I have stay at this hotel in a past... What a change!!!
Free Wifi, Flat screen tv, powerfull shower, very very confortable bed and clean room.
Friendly and Helpfull staff notably in the restaurant with a verygood homemade "Beef Bourguignon" and great Breakfast buffet with fresh pastry!

Excellent value for an economical hotel offering a full and not limited service!

Room Tip: Room 18 was the room allocated to me
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank bralolo
Brentwood, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Arrived at hotel campanile Friday evening ahead of the British Cheese Festival in Cardiff Castle. We were greeted by an extremely pleasant man with a bristolian (?) accent and we went straight to our room. Can't complain, it was very clean, well kept and there was a bath (always gets bonus points from me!!) Very pleasant nights sleep. In the morn the same reception guy was there to greet us AND make us breakfast! He was also knowledgeable and told us what bus routes to take etc. we got a really nice local/warming feel from the hotel and all the staff this morning were very pleasant too. Would definitely recommend this hotel on all accounts - except for if you do not like jumping on a bus or you don't have a car to drive around - it wasn't exactly in the middle of town which is what we wanted!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Emma Y
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed here as it was cheap for the night. My inital reaction was that it was very strangely located, essentially on an industrial estate! The hill for parking was also weird - make sure your brakes work! The reception is bright & clean - manager seems helpful, but literally only spoke to him to check in. Breakfast all you can eat is available for £6, but this isn't something that we used personally. The rooms themselves remind me of American-style motels, and I was very wary - inside the beds are ridiculously comfortable, & I did have a good night's sleep. Room was clean - just very strangely laid out. If you're looking for a cheap place to put your head down for the night, this more than does the job. Be under no illusions, it's a budget hotel - but it's not bad for the money that you pay. Parking is free, and there's plenty of it. And there's free wi-fi - not something we used as we didn't take a laptop, but it's something to bear in mind.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephhh_18
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

This hotel was booked by my client due to its convenient location .
On arrival I was given card key , the direction of my room was pointed to and no directions given. Needless to say I ended up in the wrong room. The numbering and layout was very confusing considering I had not stayed there before.
When I went back to the reception rather than offer to take me there he attempted to describe how to get there. However he changed his mind and took me there running ahead not asking if I needed help with my luggage .
All the while making me feel like it was a bother.
I complained the following morning to the manager and he reminded me it was not a 4/5 star hotel.
I shall not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012