“NEVER AGAIN!!”

Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #50 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“NEVER AGAIN!!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Booked this hotel room as didnt fancy the 200 mile drive back home after a day out at Weston super-mare.

I am sat on the bed in the hotel room writing this review, ( whilst using the only good thing in the hotel THE FREE WIFI!!)

I must say the location of the hotel is good, very close to the Motorway, arriving at the hotel it is on a steep hill and the car parking spaces are on a steep incline so make sure your handbrake works well before coming. We go to check in and the reception is at the end of a stinky greasy smelling bar, check in was easy and simple, so off to the room we went, opened the door and the smell of dampness hit you, and the room was tiny.

So we unpacked our bags and tryed to settle down but it was really hot in the room even thow outside they had terrential rain, i went to reception to ask for a fan but they dont have any, if i knew this i would have brought my own, also you only get 2 towels between 2 adults and a child!!

After staying in the premier inn at roath the night before and paying £8 cheaper i am very disapointed with this hotel. premier inn did everything they could, they gave me 2 fans, extra towels, iron and board and the room was three times as big, smelt lovely and clean and good reception.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and would defo tell people to book one of the cardiff Premier inns!!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
london
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Check-in only available until 11pm. We requested a second key for Mum in laws room (she is deaf and has dementia, so would need prompting/help to get up for breakfast in time, and from experience we knew she wouldn't hear us if we were only able to knock on her door). I explained this to the staff member on arrival, but was told that it wasn't possible to have a second keycard. How can that not be possible in this day and age?! We had to keep her key so that we could ensure she was up in time to get ready and have breakfast before we had to leave for my sons graduation. Not a nice feeling to have to restrict her independence in this way, thankfully the dementia worked in our favour as by the next morning she had forgotten that we had the only key!

There was only one towel each and no hand towel. I asked for one more towel to use for my hair and to double up as a hand towel, but was told they only provide one per person. Fair enough to err on that side, as it cuts down on unecessary washing, but if someone would like more than one it doesn't seem like too much to ask really. I persisted, and he gave me a second one, but it made me feel bad for asking.

There was black stuff on the element in the kettle, we used it anyway, but noticed that there were bits coming off into our drinks. I presume that the kettle had been descaled, but not rinsed/cleaned out properly afterwards. We boiled and emptied it a few times until no more bits seemed to be coming off, but it didn't make us feel it was that clean! We probably should have just asked for another one, but having had the keycard and towel problems, didn't really want to have to ask for something else!

Price was good, and it included continental breakfast, which was excellent in terms of choice and quality; cereals, fruit, yoghurt, ham, cheese, bread with toaster and spreads and very good coffee machine that had a choice of coffees and hot chocolates and hot water for tea. Breakfast lady was friendly and helpful - wished she'd been on check-in when we made our requests! Bed was comfortable and sheets and room were clean.

Would have put poor for service, but that wouldn't reflect the breakfast lady being good - so have raised it to average to reflect that.

Room Tip: They do have a room with a disabled bath, so you can request that if you need it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed for one night for Springsteen concert in the city, having no other choice of hotels under about £200 by the time we booked. Good small, but clean and comfortable room, with the advantage being arranged on walkways so that you could open a window, unlike a lot of hotel rooms. Didn't stay for breakfast as heading back to the city. It would be very convenient if you came by car, but as we came by train we had to rely on public transport and taxi. It's a 30 minute bus ride each way on the number 58, and a taxi after midnight cost £12. We were in an end room 141, and were not disturbed by noise at all. Not the prettiest of locations but good value basic room for the night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

stayed for 1 night on route to london in june 2013. the room was very small couldnt swing a cat, but it was very clean. the bath was the smallest i have ever seen but it did have a shower. i did like the notice in the bathroom (dont leave phone chargers left plugged in over night) as there was only 1 plug socket and the tv was plugged into that. staff were great

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Needed a hotel with a restaurant that opened early in the morning. So when i found this hotel i was happy to book as food was available from 7 am.

The room was very clean, bedding looked like new and was comfortable. The food on the evening was of a very good standard and served by friendly and helpful staff.

And again breakfast was spot on and well served.

Will happily recommend this to anyone..........Thank you

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

What a difference from the night before accommodation!!!!!! I would have no hesitation at all in recommending this hotel to anyone. Such a pleasurable stay. The staff and breakfast were amazing and the room was clean, comfortable and had all we needed for our stay. Infact im going to re book for next year with an extra 2 rooms.

Room Tip: Stay here for the breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

Few of us stayed there for 2 nights! Friday night we could here the next rooms making noise by 6pm! Shouting! Alot of drinking was going on! The room upstairs were talking loud. The rooms walls are very thin! We could here everything. The room itself was clean, but did notice bed sheets and towels being slightly dirty. No windows in bathroom, so it the room got cloudy evrytime someone had a shower. The service was poor, I arrived 10 min early and the man made me wait for my room. I asked several times to the gentleman at the front desk where I could eat, shop, how far was the city, the man then ignored me and when I did repeat, he did not seem like he understood me. I spoke english and yes I may be coloured but I certainly am not dumb. Food in the morning for breakfast was not so great, they leave the food out early, you can taste the break getting stale! I travel alot and book with campanile all over, I felt the campanile in cardiff was poor and there standards could do with a raise! I certainly wont be staying in this hotel again in cardiff!

• Stayed June 2013