“Very Good: Worth every penny.”

Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #43 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Cardiff
“Very Good: Worth every penny.”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I was not expecting luxurious accommodation because the price was very reasonable but I was very impressed by
The size of bed,
General facilities in our room (e.g. Tea and coffee, Kettle, Hairdryer, Complimentary toiletries, TV Heating, etc).
Spacious bathroom and everything was available, working & clean i.e
Hot shower, Sink, Commode, Mirror, Towels, Walls/Tiles etc.

Staff were very keen to help us and gave advice on good local restaurants and public transport etc.
The hotel is actually in a great location as it is quite near to M4 and 2-minutes walk from Waitrose.

I would definitely recommend this to any travelers looking for budget, clean and friendly accommodation!

Two bad points:-
Felt springs of the bed on one side.
Bath tub was of small size.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Usman D
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Usman D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such positive comments. I am happy that you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you again to the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Claremont, California
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Nothing special, but reasonably comfortable. Room was spacious enough and clean, but quite cold. Never could get the heating to work fully and I was quite cold all night. Free wifi was good. I didn't have the breakfast (not included) so can't comment on that. Note that the hotel is quite far from Cardiff Central station (expensive by taxi) but apparently there is a bus near the hotel that would get you to the train station for cheap.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DRBTravels
Dear DRBTravels,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel room cold at night. All heaters are fully functioning in the rooms and spare blankets are also provided. We also have a limited number of portable heaters available, should a guest require it. We are about 5 miles away from the train station and taxis cost about £12.00. There is a bus service costing just £1.70.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Cheap , cheerful and welcoming! A lot of bigger hotels could take a lesson from this place! Although under no misconceptions this was a budget hotel , the room, facilities and staff were all more than adequate!The staff were cheerful and helpful for my entire stay , despite being full up!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barb7267
Dear Barb7267,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive comments regarding your stay at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. I am happy to read that you found the staff to be cheerful and helpful and I will of course pass on these comments. We hope to welcome you to the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff in the future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I books this hotel over the internet for a weekend shopping trip and paid in advance. On arrival I was asked for my credit card to swipe for identification purposes. As I have been asked for this before I thought nothing of it until I asked for the receipt. I was then informed that it was not their policy to give a receipt and they could not issue one. I was assured that no charge would be made against my card but There was no way they would give me any proof that it has been 'swiped'. They would not even allow me to photograph their copy with my mobile!. I can think of no reason for this except intended fraud so I remained insistent. 3 quarters of an hour later after getting the manager out of bed and calling the police, I finally got my receipt. I suspect that this had more to do with my taking a photograph of the receptionist so that I would have some evidence for later than anything else. I will be checking my statements very carefully for many months to come now.

On going to a local pub to eat the following night I was informed that they were aware of several people who found unexpected charges on their bill after similar experiences. So BE VERY CAREFUL.

That said the room was of an acceptable standard for a cheap motel: fairly basic but clean, tidy and everything worked. After my row at check in We did not feel like eating at the hotel so I cannot comment on the food.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank neil c
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Neil C

Thank you for your comments left regarding your stay here at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. It is standard policy when making a booking through a third party for the hotel to pre-authorise the guests card as security. Your card was pre-authorised for £1.00. This £1.00 was not taken from your account as it was not a transaction it was a pre-authorisation done for verification purposes. We do not give a copy of the pre-authorisation to the guest as it is not a sale transaction. It is a very serious accusation to write that reason my receptionist did not give you a copy due to intended fraud. As you said that you will be carefully checking your bank statements for many months to come, you will have seen that no money has been taken from your account?.

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have eaten at this place several times as it is very close to my work place when I am down in Cardiff. The food here on the whole is not bad and the service is very prompt. However I'm actually finding this place very difficult to write a constructive review, and that is very unusual for me. I have never stayed here in the hotel part, so it would be totally wrong for me to comment on that side. Looking at other reviews on this place it maybe worth while giving it a go. Good Luck with this one....................

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Travellerclass
Dear Travellerclass,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding our restaurant. We hope to welcome you to our restaurant again in the future.
Patrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is the third Campanile I have stayed at, although a little tired it was spotlessly clean, lots of hot water, great tv and those wonderful beds. I had an evening meal which was cooked very well by a chap who also did the bar, he was very efficient. Morning came and time for a lovely continental breakfast, my husband decided on a cooked one which looked delicious. The car parking is on a big slope and as we had a long vehicle we parked over 2 spaces. Would I go again? most definately.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank braidy77
Dear braidy 77,

Thank you for positive comments regarding your stay at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. I am happy to read that everything was to your satisfaction and you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you once again to the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff.
Somerset
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed here for 6 weeks whilst waiting to complete on my new home so I guess I'm in the lucky position of being able to recognise many aspects of everybody's reviews.

The Campanile is based on the American motel style. If you are familiar with doors leading straight in to rooms from the car pack then you are aware of the concept and, therefore, intelligent enough to consider the negative issues that might present themselves with noise. The Campanile, however, have made an inner porch inside the room which acts as a barrier and there is also a hand-wound security, daylight and somewhat sound-proofing shutter on the outside window. These adequately help the situation.

Considering how long I was resident I only suffered from guest related noise issues on a few occasions. My general rule when I am staying anywhere is to make sure the TV, my spoken voice or any noise I make is at a level that would not be heard outside of the room. This common courtesy seems to be often over looked these days and needs to be considered that it is actually out of the control of the hotel.

The rooms are on the tired side but the beds are comfortable and there is plenty of hot water. The price for the room reflects this budget nature so don't expect a vast room, whirlpool bath system, in room spa treatment, his and her bathrooms, media centre with 40 inch TV, microwave, fridge, AGA etc. You do, however, have the use of the free wifi.

The thing that sets this place apart from other small budget hotels is how friendly it is. No matter who I spoke to on the cleaning staff or in the reception/restaurant they always gave the impression that their guests were important and of value to them.

The restaurant food comes under the heading of good-hearty cooking. There are some very good food deals and the prices are very affordable. Everything I ate was above average and acceptable in the value range.

I have no hesitation in recommending the Campanile if you are looking for a budget motel and on a Monday night you can eat in the restaurant at half price. Whilst at a glance this may seem a no frills motel, it is a comfortable, warm and friendly place to be no matter the length of stay.

Thank you !

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank fred0976
Dear Fred0976

Thank your for taking the time to write your detailed and positive review. I am happy that over a 6 week period you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay. I will pass on your comments to all the staff concerned. Should you ever stay here again, we would look forward to welcoming you. If you are passing, please call in to say hello.