“Not bad”

Campanile Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #56 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel was perfectly adequate. Rooms were kept very clean. Next to main road but there are wind down metal shutters that DO block out the noise. Food not wonderful but there is a very good Toby Carvery 2 minutes away that does the best cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GMCardiff, General Manager at Campanile Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2014

Dear Ball71,

Thank you for taking your time to leave your comments regarding your stay here at the Campanile Hotel in Cardiff. I was happy to read that you found the hotel adequate for your needs and that the rooms are kept very clean. I will pass on your comments to the housekeeping team. Our English Breakfast is freshly cooked to order and is served everyday.

There are newer reviews for Campanile Hotel Cardiff

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I was back in South Wales for the second week in succession and after a fantastic stay in Bridgend other properties had a mountain to climb.

My day started in Wrexham at 5.15 and I’d spent an entire day inspecting a factory so I was tired, hungry, and not nice to know. The signposting from the nearby dual carriageway was excellent and by the time I arrived in the car park I was already won over.

Durval checked me in and after joking about his name being the same as a favourite Belgium beer he passed my query regarding a receipt to Emma who whilst unable to provide me with a receipt did provide an adequate explanation.

My room was on the ground floor and on reflection room 5 is a poor choice as its right beside the stairs to the upper level and has a smoker’s receptacle adjacent to the door. Both of which proved a bit annoying.

A pint of beer and an excellent hamburger and chips for £12 was much appreciated and the ever dutiful Durval cheeked that everything was OK

The room was in the main above average – yes I do have observations but non of which rates real negatives. The claim that there are three ac outlets behind the curtain is not true. As a business traveller I do expect to ba e able to plug in my laptop, cell phone charger or ay other portable item and to find that there was only one mains outlet which was being used by the TV was a major concern.

The mattress was a forgettable experience.

The shower is over the bath and it may be that a safety handle to aid entry and exit from the bath would be a good idea for those guests who are no longer in the first flush of use.

Would I stay again -- yes, but not in room 5 and I would include in my computer bag a multi AC adaptor

Room Tip: Avoid rooms adjcent to the stairs
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Damp room mushroom growing in them paid for b&b and they ran out for bacon for two days pvery poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor very poor

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Cpttpc
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked by calling the number advertised on their website and talked to a real person who quoted us 39GBP (including taxes, fees etc). The actual amount they charged our credit card ended up being 56GBP. The reservation agent asked our arrival time, which we gave a one hour window and arrived during that time. The agent knew that the hotel was not 24 hours and would be closed when we arrived but proceeded with our booking regardless. Once we arrived there was no hotel and at 8 months pregnant I was forced to sleep in the car. We called the customer service line again and the agent also attempted to call the hotel and stated that they had not provided an emergency number. He said that the manager would be able to refund our money in the morning and said he was very sorry.
In the morning the 'manager' Erick flat out refused to help us in any way. He did not apologize for us having to sleep in the car but instead was the rudest, nastiest human being I have ever had the displeasure of meeting in my entire life. He refused to refund our money calling us "no shows" although we arrived at the time we booked for and had to sleep in the car in front of the reception for the night.
This was one of the worst experiences of my life. Due to the position I was forced to sleep in I still have extremely swollen feet and legs several days later and my blood pressure is still higher than normal and I've been experiencing extremely painful nerve spasms.
Erick treated me like a second class citizen, I was in so much pain and absolutely devastated by 0630 in the morning and his response was to literally call us liars, and essentially complete morons for firstly booking at a hotel that would be closed (remember a live human customer service agent took the booking - the website has no info regarding this so please beware), he said we were 'stupid' for providing our card number over the phone with no proof of the actual price (e.g. we should have booked online and not called the number on their website according to him), and for not rather driving to a 24 hour hotel when we found out they were closed and pay again so that we wouldn't have to sleep in the car.
This place is a disgusting in every sense of the word and actively commits fraud. Please, please, please beware and avoid this place!!!!!!!!
While I pray that I suffer no further pregnancy complications due to this experience, I also hope that I can help you avoid this hell hole and rather book at the 24 hour, friendly, clean hotel that is only 0.3 miles down the road.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Carl B
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Visited while the Speedway GP on so it seemed that every hotel in around Cardiff where charging well over the odds. Cost us £246 for 2 Nights (Breakfast Extra) The Campanile was the only one that had a room for us. To be fair pricing aside this hotel was not bad at all, the room was clean and tidy and the beds where comfortable. Had all the usuall stuff in there TV, Tea making facilities and hairdryer. Handy for smokers as you just walk outside your room door and your outside. Went down the road to TGI Fridays on our first night for food as was only a 5 minute drive. After a decent breakfast at the Hotel on our first morning we decided to have our tea there on the night also. They have a 3 course meal deal for £13.95 but to be honest it wasn't that impressive. Everything seemed to be cooked from the freezer and deep fried or microwaved but I kind of expected it for that price. The staff were all friendly and plesent. I would return here but not for the price we paid.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scott L
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We chose this hotel based on price and location - it was the cheapest place for an overnight stop prior to Cardiff University Open Day, and was co-incidentally just a few minutes from the Park and Ride.

The hotel is nothing special - the functional-if-unspectacular rooms are in a two floor motel-style layout separate from the combined reception/restaurant/bar building. The hotel is approached through a half-derelict industrial park which doesn't help first impressions, although the surrounding area is actually quite pleasant. There is a Waitrose just around the corner. The car park is sloping so make sure your handbrake is in good working order!

Sound insulation in the rooms is not up to much, and we could hear our neighbours without too much problem. There was also a pump (or something similar) which turned on and off at frequent intervals, but overall the sounds were not too intrusive.

Breakfast was extra - £8.75 for cooked - but was freshly prepared and tasty enough. We didn't try the restaurant/bar in the evening but it seemed popular with the other guests, a large number of which seemed to be workmen on local projects, judging by the number of vans in the car park.

Overall, not a hotel for a romantic weekend away or a family holiday, but for a one night stop-over, it has everything you need and is excellent value for money. It is also very handy for Cardiff, especially if you intend to use the Park and Ride (£3 per car).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil M
Reviewed 28 May 2014

we stayed here for one night, mainly due to the price. on reflection we could have stayed closer to the city and not paid £25 for return taxis. we had a room at the back and you could hear a far bit of road noise as it is close to the a48. room was clean, bed was good. tea and coffee stuff in the room. had the cooked breakfast and it was ok, just that ok. not a bad place to stay though, but bear in mind the taxi price

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple