“Great value modern hotel ideally placed for nightlife, train station and shopping”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Booked this after getting a quote from their website online: £65 for two with breakfast seemed great value ( big sleep wanted £85 for the same night and frankly they can't get close to the standard set by the Royal).
We were in town for The Specials' gig at the indoor arena and this hotel proved to be a great choice, close to the train station and the after show fun.
The hotel is slap bang in the middle of the city centre but we could hear none of the associated noise from our room ( we were on the 4th floor which may have helped, given some of the other reviews here).
We were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews on this site but frankly we had a great stay.
The hotel is modern and stylish and the room didn't disappoint-it was a good size and very well appointed (it had a huuuge tv too). It far exceeded our expectations.
The BeeKind toiletries were a nice touch and the hot chocolate and tea tray were great.
If you want a modern hotel offering great value and city centre convenience this is an excellent choice .... if you want deathly peace and quiet and plush luxury go and stay in manor house in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Aberystwyth
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Booked into the hotel for Halloween Saturday night, thought that due to it's location on St Mary's street it would be not to plush and loud outside, however I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is modern, clean and stylish, and once off the street it is completely shielded from the hubris outside. We checking in we were informed that we'd been upgraded for a deluxe double, which was superb; large room, huge flatscreen TV, great bathroom and complimentary bottle of wine. Managed to get the original room for the discounted price of £79 which represents tremendous value. Previously I had stayed in the Big sleep the Mecure holland house and the Angel, in future I will definitely be booking into the Royal, highly recommended!

Norwich, England.
Reviewed 26 October 2011

This hotel is conveniently located for shopping, rail station, millenium Stadium etc. NCP carpark close by was charging 18.00 per day but on the advice of the hotel staff we managed to get a concessionary price of 10.00 elsewhere. The room we had was on the 5th floor so was relatively quiet, I would imagine lower rooms could have been abit more noisier due to night time revellers outside. On exiting the hotel on the Friday and Saturday night we did have to 'climb over' drinkers sitting on the steps which might concern some people? Maybe the Hotel could rectify this with a doorman?
The room itself was adequate to large in size and was comfortable, tastefully decorated and clean. The bed was nice and comfy. Breakfast was a good quality English breakfast plus extras, served in a very attractive wood-panelled room, we never left hungry!. Staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. All prices were reasonable and everything seemed good quality.
We would definetely stay here again but use the wisdom of booking a room at the top. All in all a very nice hotel once inside.
To all the staff, thank you for a lovely stay and we WILL see you again!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the upper floor
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Reading the reviews they are a bit mixed and after staying I think you put a good nights sleep at risk as it depends what roomyou get! We were very very unlucky and as the hotel was full were unable to change. I have to say my experience makes me not go back and when I return next year I will definatley be finding an alternative. The room was very nicely decd out and the bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice but that it all the good I can say and for the amount paid feel totally robbed! The bedroom was tiny and felt very claustrophobic as unable to open windows due to noise. The hotel is right above a very busy O'Neils bar which has people shouting and screaming outside until 3am, ambulances, police, buses etc etc and when we did get to sleep at about 3.30am we were woken at 6am by the roadworks as even though there was double glazing this did nothing! Stay at your peril, if going for a night out on the booze probably perfect, I went to do the half marathon and so this hotel was a nightmare and I certainly don't recommend it if you want to get some sleep!

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Great hotel and great value for city centre £89 midweek which was a deluxe room including a bottle of wine in the room!
A bit noisy though which is the only real downside, big O'Neils pub under the hotel which had music until 3am- however the rooms have double glazing so if we'd have shut the window and used the aircon we wouldn't have been disturbed at all.
Didn't eat so can't review but bar very nice and not too expensive

London
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I chose this hotel after reading reviews on here as it seemed very reasonably priced and great location. It was so easy to find from the station, although my first impressions weren't great as it's a bit shabby from the outside. The interior, however, was very nice, once I'd finally managed to get the temperamental lift to the 2nd floor reception to respond. The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful with all my queries.

My room, on the 5th floor, was just wonderful! Absolutely huge, nicely decorated, clean and for the price I paid it more than exceeded expectations. The bed was the absolute highlight of my stay as it was so comfortable I didn't want to get up in the morning. There was a little bit of noise from the street during the night, but I was staying in the city, on the 5th floor and I'm quite a good sleeper so it didn't really bother me.

I really like the attention to detail in this hotel, particularly the BeeKind honey toiletries in the bathroom. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: If city noises bother you you may want a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Moi70
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Nice spacious clean room and bathroom. Beds were extreemly comfortable. Own thermostat in room was great. Loved the large flatscreen tv. Wifi only worked in the public areas, but wired in the room worked okay. Great location right in the heart of Cardiff. Work was going on outside but could barely be heard in our room. No parking but plenty of carparks nearby. Great place for a short stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family