“Lovely stay”

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 13 August 2012 via mobile

Had a lovely time I'm Cardiff and the hotel made the stay, so central and easy to find!! Staff where so welcoming, helpful and breakfast was lovely!!
The rooms were clean and bed was very comfortable, even though it was in centre you didn't hear the noice from outside.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My wife and I were really looking forward to our stay as this was a mini honeymoon before our actual honeymoon in September. The hotel and our friendly reception by Rebecca on our arrival did not disappoint us.

The bedroom was clean, comfortable and looked great! You could not hear the trains, traffic and busy high street which is a huge plus for a central city located hotel.

Izabela looked after us during breakfast, and although it did take a long time it was certainly worth the wait as they were the best Eggs Benedict we have had for some time. The next morning Izabela made sure our breakfast arrived within a respectable time!

The choice of wine by the glass (only two) was not great however the email from the General Manager reassured us that for our next stay these improvements would be made, which proved to us that they are willing to listen and more importantly care!

We can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed at the Hotel on Sunday 5th August , We arrived to check approximatley 13.00hrs and the female member of staff at the reception was very helpful . She informed us that rooms are being cleaned ( it was fully booked previous night because of Olympic football at the Millennium Stadium) and check in will be approximately at 15.00hrs.
We asked for a quiet room and on higher floor,,,,,she provisionally allocated us a room on the 6th floor'..with main street view! We left our lugguage in the torage room at the Hotel....which handled very well.! We returned to the Hotel about 2 hours later after lunch for check in!

It was different member of staff at the Reception and room 412 was allocated to us on the 4th floor, (althought different room on higher 6th floor was suggested only 2 hours earlier).

The room 412 was on the smaller size and view was ok facing the busy main road ..
The room was adquately clean ,,,.., the furniture rather dated and although coffee/tea making facilities were provided but the room did not have fridge for cold drinks etc.

The bathroom was adquate but it did not have a bath tub ..only a shower unit and it had not been cleanly properly because very few hairs from previous occupant were still present in the shower cubilcle. However the shower worked ,.

The air condition system was not working properly eg not cooling the room and it was making noise constant noise. We informed the staff at the reception of this problem and we were assured that someone look into this and rectify the problem with A/C.
We left the hotel at 16.00hrs go Barry island and returned approximately 21.30pm.
The problem with A/C was not resolved....the room was warm and stuffy all night and had uncomfortable sleep!

The Royal Hotel has excellant location and everything is within walking distance.
The Hotel has long history and it is a good hotel but my stay was slightly disappointing for the reasons outlined above!

The reception area is very pleasing and it has restaurant/bar which is nice. Breakfast is available .! Location is great !

Ther Hotel needs to be updated.....

Room Tip: Get room on higher,,,,,if possible perhaps check/see rooms avaialble before decidng!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank hartej
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We'd booked the hotel due to the very central location and although it look disappointing from the outside, were pleasantly surprised by the standard of accommodation once inside.

The staff were very friendly and informative and the bar was reasonably priced.

Breakfast is available on site, however they do not actually have a restaurant for the evening, which wasn't really a problem as there are so many restaurants locally and they have an arrangement with a family run Italian restaurant just a few yards away.

The Millenium stadium is literally 2-3 mins walking distance away.

Our room was on the 6th floor (there are on about 5 or 6 on that floor) and was more or less at attic level, however the room was of good quality and the bed comfortable. Lovely big LCD TV too. The only drawback was the noise at ground level where there are clubs and the shouting carried upwards.

The hotel doesn't have its own car park but does have arrangements with NCP locally.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I have always loved those “grand old ladies” of hotels, old hotels with some history attached to them. And so, looking for a hotel to stay at when attending the Olympic football at the Millennium Stadium, I was excited to find the Royal Hotel, a listed building dating back to 1866 and including amongst its guests Captain Scott, Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. In addition, it was only a few minutes walk from the railway station, the Millennium Stadium and Cardiff Castle. Alas, I was sadly disappointed.
I arrived there around noon, and was told check-in was not till 3pm, which was fine since I only wanted to drop off my bag. I arrived back at about 2.30 and was told my room was not ready and it was suggested I might like to wait in the lobby bar, which I did. The bar has a sterile atmosphere, despite the fact that there were quite a lot of people there, many seemingly waiting for the 3.00 check-in. Surely the hotel was aware that there was an Olympic event at the Stadium and people attending were advised to be there by 3.00 and could have had rooms made up earlier. In fairness, the receptionist did come looking for me at 2.45 to say my room was ready.
My room was extremely small, exacerbated by the fact that it was a strange triangular shape being on the corner of the building. The bathroom was a reasonable size but lacking in facilities that most hotels, not just grand old lady hotels, provide these days – no washcloths, no handrail in the shower for older people like myself, no shelf in the shower for toiletries, and no two-pin plug for razor. All minor, I agree, since all I really wanted was a bed for a good night’s sleep.
But the hotel, and my room in particular, is directly above O’Neill’s Pub and sleep didn’t look likely since, even at 3.00 in the afternoon, the fans were on the pavement under my window, singing, shouting and blowing horns. Luckily I was spared this noise at night since it started raining soon after I got back to my room after the game. But still a good night’s sleep was not had. The area outside the hotel’s front is a pedestrian area which ends right at the corner of the building where my room was. At 6.00am, I was wakened when the garbage truck stopped at the edge of the pedestrian area, under my room, and the workers trundled all the bins from the shops in the pedestrian area along the pavement to the truck and the truck noisily lifted and emptied them. This lasted for about 30 minutes. Even then I couldn’t sleep as a constant stream of buses stopped at the traffic lights on that corner and revved and roared noisily round the corner.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Retired_Gentleman
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Brilliant location in city centre. We had booked an extra bed in a triple room which wasn't there when we arrived, but they made sure we paid for it upfront! Had to request it & it did appear when we were out. Lucky lucky people who managed to sleep in this hotel, our triple room was so noisy, lots of nightclub noise to 3.30am plus kicking out time! Lack of natural light in room. Plus I know we paid highly inflated rate due to Olympic event. But location was great.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 26peach
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Royal Hotel clearly has a grandiose past and in a way, its a bit of a shame that its now divided up into several establishments (The hotel and a few bars). Deceptive from the outside, the hotel has seven floors and luckily, reception is on the floor above the ground floor bar to avoid too much noise.

As we were staying one night following an Olympic football match, the prices were sky high! I can't say that the hotel justified these - Some fittings and fixtures were a little wonky and whilst there was no 'bar noise', the window which would not close properly made for some 'chanting' vaguely audible from street level throughout the night. This is one of the downsides of what otherwise was a fantastic location - accessible from the main shopping street and a stone's throw from the Millenium Stadium. They could do with some tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms.

We experienced very little interaction with staff, but all was professional, courteous and friendly. It is possible to store bags up until the 3pm check-in time (Which I felt was unnecessarily late for a hotel of its' size) and when you have checked out. The decor was modern and clean and the drinks were quite reasonably priced in the bar, with a good selection of cocktails.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room for what I imagine would be quite spectacular views across the city.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family