“Mostly Good”

Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Uk
“Mostly Good”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago for 3 nights, primarily to watch an Olympic Football match in the Millennium Stadium.

The start was a bit disappointing because we were told that check in was at 3pm, we arrived at about 1.30. I don't have a problem with the room not being ready until the appointed time but the receptionist didn't even check because "check in is at 3pm".

We stayed in a luxury room which was excellent, being large, spotlessly clean and with a huge flat screen TV. Extra benefits were a complimentary bottle of wine daily (me) and bottled water (wife). Again slightly let down because both were forgotten on our last day and had to be requested.

Breakfast was a bit odd really. On two mornings it was ordered from the menu, but on the middle one the restaurant was busier so we had the self service buffet, or, well it almost was. There was a waitress stood behind the buffet to dish out the goodies in case we were tempted to overdo it, how thoughtful. On the final day my order was forgotten, so I had to play catchup with my gloating wife. The food wasn't bad, but the selection of bread ranged all the way from cut white loaf to, well, cut brown loaf.

OK, I know I'm being picky, but the hotel is excellently located for the train station and for everything this vibrant city has to offer. A visit to Cardiff Bay is a must, it's a gentle 20-25 minute stroll from the hotel and the transformation of this area in recent years is amazing.

Staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful and I would recommend it, idiosyncracies and all.

Room Tip: Luxury rooms are well worth the extra
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
South Wales
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Just returned from a nights stay at the Royal Hotel in Cardiff we got there a a couple of hours early and w told that our room would not be ready until 3pm so they took our bags off us and we went shopping with the great location of the hotel this was not a problem it is right in the city centre.

We got back to the hotel at 3pm and were checked in very quickly we then went to our room which was at the rear of the hotel which was better as there was a lot of work on going at the front my only gripe here is I did not see anything on the website when we booked that highlighted the work.
The room was great very clean and a good size with a large king bed good clean bathroom with bath and shower, the bar area is a good size with a good selection of drinks and all the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

After a good nights sleep we got up and had breakfast there is plenty of choice here which caters for everyone very good indeed.

We had a great night at the royal and look forward to our next stay which will be in Oct for the Amy Macdonald concert.

Reviewed 13 August 2012 via mobile

Had a lovely time I'm Cardiff and the hotel made the stay, so central and easy to find!! Staff where so welcoming, helpful and breakfast was lovely!!
The rooms were clean and bed was very comfortable, even though it was in centre you didn't hear the noice from outside.

• Stayed July 2012
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My wife and I were really looking forward to our stay as this was a mini honeymoon before our actual honeymoon in September. The hotel and our friendly reception by Rebecca on our arrival did not disappoint us.

The bedroom was clean, comfortable and looked great! You could not hear the trains, traffic and busy high street which is a huge plus for a central city located hotel.

Izabela looked after us during breakfast, and although it did take a long time it was certainly worth the wait as they were the best Eggs Benedict we have had for some time. The next morning Izabela made sure our breakfast arrived within a respectable time!

The choice of wine by the glass (only two) was not great however the email from the General Manager reassured us that for our next stay these improvements would be made, which proved to us that they are willing to listen and more importantly care!

We can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed at the Hotel on Sunday 5th August , We arrived to check approximatley 13.00hrs and the female member of staff at the reception was very helpful . She informed us that rooms are being cleaned ( it was fully booked previous night because of Olympic football at the Millennium Stadium) and check in will be approximately at 15.00hrs.
We asked for a quiet room and on higher floor,,,,,she provisionally allocated us a room on the 6th floor'..with main street view! We left our lugguage in the torage room at the Hotel....which handled very well.! We returned to the Hotel about 2 hours later after lunch for check in!

It was different member of staff at the Reception and room 412 was allocated to us on the 4th floor, (althought different room on higher 6th floor was suggested only 2 hours earlier).

The room 412 was on the smaller size and view was ok facing the busy main road ..
The room was adquately clean ,,,.., the furniture rather dated and although coffee/tea making facilities were provided but the room did not have fridge for cold drinks etc.

The bathroom was adquate but it did not have a bath tub ..only a shower unit and it had not been cleanly properly because very few hairs from previous occupant were still present in the shower cubilcle. However the shower worked ,.

The air condition system was not working properly eg not cooling the room and it was making noise constant noise. We informed the staff at the reception of this problem and we were assured that someone look into this and rectify the problem with A/C.
We left the hotel at 16.00hrs go Barry island and returned approximately 21.30pm.
The problem with A/C was not resolved....the room was warm and stuffy all night and had uncomfortable sleep!

The Royal Hotel has excellant location and everything is within walking distance.
The Hotel has long history and it is a good hotel but my stay was slightly disappointing for the reasons outlined above!

The reception area is very pleasing and it has restaurant/bar which is nice. Breakfast is available .! Location is great !

Ther Hotel needs to be updated.....

Room Tip: Get room on higher,,,,,if possible perhaps check/see rooms avaialble before decidng!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank hartej
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We'd booked the hotel due to the very central location and although it look disappointing from the outside, were pleasantly surprised by the standard of accommodation once inside.

The staff were very friendly and informative and the bar was reasonably priced.

Breakfast is available on site, however they do not actually have a restaurant for the evening, which wasn't really a problem as there are so many restaurants locally and they have an arrangement with a family run Italian restaurant just a few yards away.

The Millenium stadium is literally 2-3 mins walking distance away.

Our room was on the 6th floor (there are on about 5 or 6 on that floor) and was more or less at attic level, however the room was of good quality and the bed comfortable. Lovely big LCD TV too. The only drawback was the noise at ground level where there are clubs and the shouting carried upwards.

The hotel doesn't have its own car park but does have arrangements with NCP locally.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I have always loved those “grand old ladies” of hotels, old hotels with some history attached to them. And so, looking for a hotel to stay at when attending the Olympic football at the Millennium Stadium, I was excited to find the Royal Hotel, a listed building dating back to 1866 and including amongst its guests Captain Scott, Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. In addition, it was only a few minutes walk from the railway station, the Millennium Stadium and Cardiff Castle. Alas, I was sadly disappointed.
I arrived there around noon, and was told check-in was not till 3pm, which was fine since I only wanted to drop off my bag. I arrived back at about 2.30 and was told my room was not ready and it was suggested I might like to wait in the lobby bar, which I did. The bar has a sterile atmosphere, despite the fact that there were quite a lot of people there, many seemingly waiting for the 3.00 check-in. Surely the hotel was aware that there was an Olympic event at the Stadium and people attending were advised to be there by 3.00 and could have had rooms made up earlier. In fairness, the receptionist did come looking for me at 2.45 to say my room was ready.
My room was extremely small, exacerbated by the fact that it was a strange triangular shape being on the corner of the building. The bathroom was a reasonable size but lacking in facilities that most hotels, not just grand old lady hotels, provide these days – no washcloths, no handrail in the shower for older people like myself, no shelf in the shower for toiletries, and no two-pin plug for razor. All minor, I agree, since all I really wanted was a bed for a good night’s sleep.
But the hotel, and my room in particular, is directly above O’Neill’s Pub and sleep didn’t look likely since, even at 3.00 in the afternoon, the fans were on the pavement under my window, singing, shouting and blowing horns. Luckily I was spared this noise at night since it started raining soon after I got back to my room after the game. But still a good night’s sleep was not had. The area outside the hotel’s front is a pedestrian area which ends right at the corner of the building where my room was. At 6.00am, I was wakened when the garbage truck stopped at the edge of the pedestrian area, under my room, and the workers trundled all the bins from the shops in the pedestrian area along the pavement to the truck and the truck noisily lifted and emptied them. This lasted for about 30 minutes. Even then I couldn’t sleep as a constant stream of buses stopped at the traffic lights on that corner and revved and roared noisily round the corner.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo