“A curate's egg of an hotel”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
“A curate's egg of an hotel”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Like the curate's egg, the Royal Hotel is 'good in parts'. I've stayed there several times over the last few years - and it's one of those places that I want to like, because I've got there on a very good price and because it's got its own individual style... but each time I do stay there, I've come away thinking it's not the place for me.

It has a clean, modern look and feel to it, and the rooms appear quite luxurious with sumptuous pillows, shiny floors and furniture and stylish fittings. However, the shiny floor is rather cold and hard, the shiny desk means that my laptop mouse doesn't work, and the sumptuous pillows and quilt are all feathered - which is no good for me with an allergy to feathers. All of these seem, and possibly are, rather niggly... but they added up to conspire against my comfort - as did the lack of a bath and the noisy street cleaner outside the window at 5am.

The Scott room is a lovely breakfast room with a good atmosphere. I forget each time I go that they play Jazz FM quite loudly though... and Jazz is not really my thing, especially over breakfast.

I really want to like this hotel, and I know others who stay often and are happy there - for me it's just got too many niggles for me to rate it any higher than I have done.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Very good hotel for the price and we would definitely stay there again. As it's very central we were a bit concerned about the noise but that definitely wasn't an issue for us (3rd floor room at the back of the hotel), and we were there on a Friday night so I wouldn't have thought it would be much noisier any other night. Being so central its hard to beat its location if you want a city centre hotel. The room was a reasonable size and very clean with a good bathroom. There were a fair number of stairs between the floors/rooms - not a problem for us and there are lifts but worth mentioning. There is no hotel specific parking but you do get discount for the nearest NCP carpark which is in the railway station a minute or two away.

Room Tip: Rooms are probably better on the back of hotel from a noise perspective, particularly on the weekend...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Room & bathroom were clean and smart, nice shower. Air con was poor and window didn't open! There was a fan which helped, but get the air con sorted please! Bed comfortable and we were not disturbed by any noise (4th floor, room at back of hotel). Booked 2 rooms - 1 double, 1 twin. Twin was a good size, had room for chairs and trouser press. Double was tiny! It seemed like half a room as it was wedge shaped! Breakfast was OK, but the advertised vegetarian full English was not available as they had no vegetarian sausages available! Croissants ran out and it was 25 mins till more arrived. Lots of restaurants, bars & shops near by. Few mins walk to Cardiff Castle.
overall, ok for price but not great.

Room Tip: get a room at the back - not on St Mary's street where there is more noise
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Wales, UK
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night with my boyfriend as we wanted a nice one night getaway in the big city. The hotel is nicely decorated and we found our room to be very clean and modernly furnished. The staff were very friendly and polite, and (even though we're local) we found plenty of advertising for local attractions and things to see in the area.

Yes the hotel is situated amongst all the clubs but I think people should really research where they are staying. For us it was perfect being close to a vast choice of restaurants and pubs/ cocktail bars. But we weren't woken up by rowdy pedestrians at all, just the local seagull at 5am haha.

Will definitely stay here again in the future!

• Stayed July 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here last year and had a great time. This year not so good as everything went wrong.. To start air con was not blowing out cold air due to the fact the vent was so dirty with fluff and dust which we wiped it with a towel and it all went over the floor, Then asked for an iron and ironing board and nearly got electrocuted because water was coming out of the iron plate and plug was showing wires because plug screw and come loose. NOT GOOD!! Breakfast what a nightmare! There was 3 of us and 2 meals came out 1 was ok and the other had not everything on it and went back then to top it off my other friend waited 25 mins for her's. Does it really take 25 mins to cook a fried breakfast? I think not. There was another party of 8 that waited 45 mins for theirs! Sort it out Royal hotel Cardiff! Last thing we were on the 5th floor and the lift decided to break down so had to walk down numerous flight of stairs. Very disappointed on this visit but it is a good hotel in a great location just needs to sort issues out

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are the best size with bath and shower. Doubles can be a little on the small size.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

The feel of the hotel leads you into thinking that you will have a good experience but unfortunately that's as good as it gets. The staff are 'script robots' unable to deal with anything outside of their very basic concept of service. The room was clean but was located at the front of the building which overlooks St. Mary's street. The wall of noise (despite being on the 5th floor) from the drunken masses at 2 am, and 3am and 4am meant a very poor nights sleep. Definitely not worth the money and service needs urgent attention.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
derbyshire
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Whilst this hotel is well situated close to the stations, stadium & bars/restaurants, I did expect more having paid nearly £400 for one double & one single room & that didn't include breakfast! Our rooms were very small & in the tiny cramped bathroom I had to climb over the toilet to stand in the shower. The toiletries were very meagre too=one small piece of soap, one small sachet of shampoo & shower gel & that was for two people. No shower cap, no biscuits etc. On a positive note the staff were lovely, extremely helpful & the food was good. On arrival we had difficulty finding the entrance which is described as discreet in the hotel guide but it is actually hidden away & then once inside you have to take the lift up to reception. The air conditioning in our room was ineffectual but we were provided with a welcome fan. Considering what we paid I don't think it was worth it, presumably the prices were bumped up because of the Bruce concert?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family