“Fantastic!”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Amazing hotel for the money spent! The staff were wonderful and helpful. The staff was helpful in telling us what sites to see and how to get there. They were accommodating to our requests. The pillows were feather and I am allergic but they brought me some non feather pillows. The hotel room had everything we needed. Lovely stay! We would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ShayDuce
Write a ReviewReviews (1,303)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have stayed at the Royal on many occasions whilst working in Cardiff.
The staff are warm and friendly. The location is excellent and the rooms are modern and clean.
I really enjoy my stay here and would certainly return.
It's excellent value for money especially with its location on the main high street.
I must also mention Matt & Raff's food is amazing.
Rob Jones, Sheffield.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Robjones036
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

What a great location. Near to the train and bus station, the millennium stadium, restaurants and bars, the castle and the shops.
The hotel itself was clean and tidy. The staff on reception were friendly and efficient. Our room was clean, a little in the small side but very nice all the same. The hotel had a nice bar area which was relaxing but we did wait 20 mins for our drinks to be served. However when they did arrive they were very nice.
The hotel is next door to an O'Neills pub which was quite noisy at 2 in the morning but in all fairness it was St Patricks day! Our room was very warm but we were able to use the air con thank goodness! The bed was extremely comfortable and the pillows were fab.
This hotels location is definitely a winner.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in The Royal on Sunday night. Decent nights stay and a fab breakfast. Only a couple of down points - the lift was out of order we had to climb 5 flights of stairs. There was no apology offered about the lift only giggles from the receptionist when we ascended the climb. We had to change rooms also as when I opened the window the curtain rail fell off the wall, oops. Receptionists said I should not of opened the window as it was European law that windows should not be opened in hotels???? Really I replied????

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times recently, and have enjoyed the experience each time. It's a boutique hotel with quirky contemporary decor. All the hotel staff are friendly, polite, helpful, and professional. The rooms are modern, spotless clean, and very comfortable, with a wide range of complimentary products (tea,coffee,toiletries) and WiFi. The hotel's location is ideal: in the middle of town, and just a short walk from the railway station. I've yet to try their restaurant, but breakfast at this hotel is sumptuous - there's an extensive menu, and the kitchen will accommodate the fussiest of eaters. Whether for business or pleasure, staying at this hotel always enhances my trips to Cardiff.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade - if available, it won't disappoint
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank gail_metcalfe
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I booked a de luxe room for a Sunday night in February. The hotel is situated right on the pedestrian precinct and close to the bus terminus and the train station. It is right by the wonderful shops and fantastic selection of restaurants. Our room was spacious with enough seating, a good shower and bathroom, all immaculately clean. The bed was large and very comfortable. We were on the 6th. Floor with good views. The Millennium Stadium was just visible over the opposite buildings. We both had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was excellent, a great selection of food, and the cooked items arrived fresh and fast. The staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming. Thanks for the lunch recommendation, it suited us perfectly.
We are looking forward to staying there again in May, and using the discount voucher we were given for a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine B
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Based on some of the reviews from trip advisor I thought I'd book this hotel as a place to stay during my three days in Cardiff during Feb. first things first. If you are travelling by train, fantastic! Short walk from station. However, if you are travelling by car, because of its city centre location, car parking can be an issue. If you use the nearest car park it's 12 pound for 24 hours. There is a cheaper car park by the big sleep and Motorsport arena which charges 6 pound for 24 hours. So good saving there. It's about ten min walk as opposed to five min walk from hotel. Okay, so the hotel is situated on a road full of bars and pubs, but just two minute walk from all the shops and restaurants. So quite a good central location. My advice is book directly through the hotel. The receptionists can give you a better choice on rooms, and offer a discount when you book direct. I upgraded to the deluxe double room. This was just as cheap as premier inn, and other hotels, but offered a lot more in terms of luxury. The room was big and spacious, came with free wifi, a nice bottle of wine on ice, a huge tv, bath robes and complimentary toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities. As a tip, because of its location near bars and clubs I would imagine this hotel to be quite noisey during weekends. I stayed mid week and slept very well. Request a room on the higher floors. I stayed on level six. Nice and high up to avoid any street noise, and gave a lovely view of the skyline of the city. ( room 606) I would defiantly come and stay at this hotel again, offered very good value for money. Just be cautious of what room you are booking, and think twice about where to park your car.

Room Tip: Higher floors have no street noise. Ask for a room high up. I stayed in room 606. Lovely views and v...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple