“Excellent Service”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I arrived at the hotel gone past midnight, the intercom was not working so i stood there a while buzzing, but a worker came down to let me in because they could see i was having difficulty on the cctv
The staff were so welcoming and sypathetic that i was tired and been travelling a while.
They were extremley polite and very efficient and quick to check me in.
My room was a little noisey but i live near caridff and totally understood it was a bank holiday and st marys street would be busy. It didnt take long for me to sleep and i slept soundly all night, they guys on reception gave me an extention to my check out free of charge, although this was very kind and apprcited due to being so tired i had left failry earlier than the check out time.
I would defianlty stay here again, the rooms were clean and the whole deco was very nice and contempary and I will stay next time for breaksfast as i dont think anything can be at fault at this hote.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Great location ,5 mins from train & bus station and on the doorstep to a haven of shops & bars.20 mins walk straight down Bute St to Cardiff Bay (very cosmopolitan)and Cardiff castle is literally along the road, easy on the eye & a great day out...The price for The Royal Hotel reflects on the place.... hotel amenities are basic but good value, nice looking bar area &, friendly staff, modern interior in bedroom albeit a bit tired looking probably due to its vast turnover of clientèle), breakfast is a must in Captain Scott Room.

1 more thing, Cardiff is a city - therefore expect some noise 24/7...if its peace and quiet you want & restful nights sleep, I would opt for The Hilton - swankier part of the city!

Bargain break for myself & son who are 'Whovians'....would most definitely stay over again :-)

Room Tip: Room 416 is a bit noisy because of the street below. Good view though!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jay K
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is quite nice and in very central position. The only downside are windows of all hotel rooms that cannot be opened by guests, so you cannot breath fresh air inside your room. For the rest, room furniture and bed quality are of high standard. Reception staff is friendly. I am not rating it 5points only because of the locked room-windows, that really downgrade this great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank fabmc
Reviewed 12 April 2014

On arrival things looked fantastic, place was modern, clean and staff are very polite, but we were allocated room 602 which is a room on the top floor meaning windows were very high. The problem started at 11.30 that evening, some sort of drilling sound began which made the loudest noise ever and also made our bathroom and bedroom wall vibrate, this drilling continued for 8 hours meaning we got no sleep what so ever,eventually at 7.30 in the morning it stopped, at this point i was VERY tired and annoyed with the lack of sleep, so we decided to check out and leave asap and of course reporting the incident to reception. I was shocked with her response if im honest, she informed us that there was no workmen in the building and she had no idea what the noise for 8 hours was, and she apologised for any inconvenience and carried on!! By this point i was so tired and annoyed the easiest option was to walk out.
Probably will not be staying here again, unless i am guaranteed silence to actually sleep in

Room Tip: Do not stay in room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Melanie D
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel and would definitely go back there. It's in a great situation being a very short walk from the central station and surrounded by some great bars and restaurants, not to mention the stadium almost on the doorstep. I agree with the other review that it is much easier to enter the hotel via Westgate Street if you have luggage or are less mobile. The staff can't do enough for you, so freindly. The breakfast on the first day was a buffet which I had to ask to be heated up as I found it not hot enough, but the second day the food was cooked to order and so much choice too - all the usual types of breakfast items, bacon tomatoes, sausage etc. but also, kippers, omelettes, eggs benedict, scrambled egg and smoked salmon. I was also impressed that there was fresh grapefruit along with melon and oranges, the usual juices and continental selection. I had a single room on the 4th floor, and my friends were on the 7th floor in a twin room. My room was very nice, gorgeous bathroom with shower cubicle, and a really comfy bed, I slept very well there, and so did my friends. I agree that the floorboards are quite cold and make the bed move a bit but the room itself was attractive, spotless and the street noise minimal with the excellent glazing. My friends on the 7th floor found the water pressure to be poor, but said they would stay there again happily. Overall we got a great deal and it was certainly good value for money.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the 7th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Saints_fans_11
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Great central location,bit of a maze inside and certainly isn't your normal lay out for a hotel,staff were polite and helpful,room it's self was nice enough and clean,bit on the small side and the bed wasn't to my liking.one big annoyance was the doors slam shut and make one hell of a noise that can wake the rest of the floor up.free wifi is a plus for this place over other similarly priced hotels,all in all though I would stay here again but only as a safe bet reserve if my other choices were full or too expensive compared to this one.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tushki88
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel Last minute Friday night, arrived at Cardiff Central rail station, walked just around the corner and we were there. Perfect position as right in the middle of nightlife! But no noise as it has triple glazing! We got upgraded into a superior room which was nice! Super kingsize bed, 42" tv and all the necessary stuff hairdryer etc all in all good value for money and a good stay! Would definitely recommend! !

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple