“Standard is still high”

Ranked #33 of 1,236 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our inspiration for the food and design of Cote is a modern interpretation of the many famous bistros of Paris. Inspired by new trends, we are dedicated to serving authentic classic brasserie dishes with a modern twist, using high quality produce at great prices. On the menu, guests will always find brasserie favourites on our a la carte menu such as steak frites, moules marinieres, corn-fed chicken from rural Brittany and tuna Nicoise, for dessert, Cote's creme caramel and creme brulee are much-loved house specialities. Seasonality and Cote's commitment to sourcing high-quality ingredients results in a monthly changing specials menu, ensuring there is always something new to delight regular guests and gastronomes alike, as well as the excellent value set menu. Open early every day for breakfast, through to lunch and dinner; Cote's atmosphere is informal and friendly.
“Standard is still high”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We arrived at about 8 pm on a Monday, the restaurant was less than a quarter full and we were quickly invited to choose a table. A short wait for our drinks order. This was taken efficiently with our food order. Our starters arrived very quickly. My steak tartare was nicely presented and tasted very fresh and zingy it didn't need any of the sauces. My wife's smoked salmon was a very good sized portion and she enjoyed it.
Our mains again came quickly (we didn't feel rushed). My fish parmentier was probably the best fish pie I have tasted. Piping hot with lots of fish. Creamed spinach was ok but was probably not the best accompaniment I could have chosen. My wife's sea bass was a good sized portion nicely cooked and presented withe skinny chips which suited her.
We would have liked a dessert but were really too full so I cannot comment,
The food is not cheap but you certainly get what you pay for. A 12.5 % service charge is added to the bill! and although I would normally grumble at this American assumption, in this case I felt that the staff had earned it with their attitude
I reviewed here some 18 months ago. When we come to Cardiff next we will certainly be returning

• Visited July 2014

“Great Saturday Breakfast”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Called in last weekend for a late morning breakfast. The service and food were both good and the cost wasn't too much. For a chain i was suprised by how pleasent Cote was, so we will have to go back to try the dinner menu.

One minor point was with the choice of coffee. We had two different types but they both tasted the same.

• Visited June 2014
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Birthdays, anniversaries or just an evening out with friends - Cote will not disappoint. Excellent, attentive service and a great menu. Wouldn't take my young children here as it's very adult orientated in the evenings but perfect for a relaxing meal with your partner or friends. Have been here with my husband several times and as part of a large group and the food has been amazing every single time. I can thoroughly recommend the pork and the chicken. The dark chocolate mousse is divine!

• Visited May 2014
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I went here with my mum to see a fabulous show at the Millennium Centre for a pre-show meal. This is styled on a French Brasserie with typical french style decor. The range of food on the menu is great and very authentic and the service was excellent. We didn't have a lot of time as the show started at 7.30 and I explained to the waitress that we needed to order straightaway and she got our order sorted very quickly. I had a seafood stew that was absolutely amazing and as good as I've had in France. The seats outside made me feel like I might be near the quayside on the Seine instead of Cardiff Bay. Would definitely go again and maybe for longer, lovely place and lovely grub.

• Visited April 2014
“Wow we had a fab time”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Fabulous our food was great wine great staff brilliant . We had an off the cuff unplanned night and will definitely book more

I had sea bass which was exquisite hubby had duck beautiful

We will be back