“Brilliant hospitality”

Travelodge Cardiff Central Queen Street
Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a brilliant stay here. We came down to Cardiff for a wedding and the hotel was perfectly placed for central Cardiff. The room was just perfect for us, had everything we needed. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. We were initially worried about the noise of the city but actually we were pleasantly surprised, it was completely quiet and peaceful. We had a great night sleep!

The best thing about the hotel was its staff. Right from the beginning we were made to feel warmly welcomed by Tom on the front desk. He kindly went out his way to help us find directions to our wedding party and gave us excellent suggestions were to go in the city. When you stay in budget hotels you kind of get used to a frosty reception, so it was such a pleasure to stay somewhere where you felt like it had 4 star hospitality and they actually cared!

Thank you for a great stay and will definitely see you next time we are in Cardiff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Perfect for families, quiet, spacious and proper childrens beds (1 place in Cardiff has a bunk over the parents heads - not a travelodge!) A wonderful nights sleep and we were given two fans to keep us cool which they did, the shower was easy to use and beautiful linen and soft towels. Stunning choice for breakfast, well worth having and delicious! Shops nearby - this ones near Superdrug, just of Queen Street - locals were not sure when we asked for directions but that made it more fun to find. Definately returning in 4 weeks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I don't think I stayed in the same hotel as some recent reviews!!

I have to say I was very surprised how much of a great experience we had staying here for 2 nights, Friday 11 - Sunday 13 July.
I made this booking at 2 weeks notice before attending the speedway GP due to the original accommodation I had booked 1 year earlier to be told the hotel had been sold so no booking & after reading some reviews after I had booked I was thinking what have I done booking there.

From the minute myself & 11 year old son checked in on the Friday to checking out on the Sunday all the staff where so friendly and helpful they couldn't do enough for you (only met the day time staff). I did phone the hotel a couple of days before arrival asking for a room located to the rear of the hotel due to the comments regarding the noise from the nightclub over the road which they did for me. The room had been recently refurbished, was spotless clean yes warm but bearable & so peaceful.

Breakfast was basic but still good.

Location was perfect for the Millennium Stadium about 5 minutes walk, perfect for shopping bang in the middle of the shopping area.

Will be re-booking here for next years speedway GP when rooms go on sale.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We where looking for A hotel for A couple of nights . We where meeting my partners Dad so needed A basic hotel . We arrived on 5-5-14 . Paid £10.00 for early check in which was fine and what I expected . The room was fine everything worked it was What you expect from this type of hotel . Bed was fine . The 2 days flew bye world stay again

Room Tip: I think the high flloor are better
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cartoon2011
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Considering I work for a well known hotel chain, the stay I experienced on Saturday 12th July was unacceptable. I appreciate that this is a budget city centre hotel & majority of guests visiting are there only for the location, however I would still expect some kind of customer service. The room price was disgusting, whilst I appreciate there was a big city event on this does not validate an excuse to bump the prices up, especially when it was a price you pay for a 4* hotel. Perhaps if the Customer service myself and my friends has received was better, I wouldn't be writing this complaint.

Where shall I start, the basic room was to be expected, however the dirty walls and carpet were not, this is not acceptable.

Secondly, we had no issues checking in, the issue we experienced is when we came back after a night out to be greeted by a Secruity guard checking guests into their rooms. We had 3 people staying in the room, to be told this was not allowed and the Secruity Guard was quite happy to throw one of us young girls out onto the streets of Cardiff to find accommodation elsewhere. We even offered to pay for an additional room!!!! You do not throw a young woman onto the streets in the early hours of the morning whether we were in the wrong or not. Surely abit of common sense and guidance wouldn't go a miss but the secruity guard clearly showed no remorse. So rude!

Thirdly, the Reception staff were digustingly rude, never, ever have I received such bad customer service, no effort was made to accommodate us and we ended up leaving the hotel that morning at 7am after receiving threats from the Receptionist. We had no sleep, the receptionist reduced one of my friends to tears and even when we were forced to sit in the hotel lobby for hours they were too busy going outside to smoke to even worry about us. This is not something you expect from a known hotel chain. The staff who were working on the late shift on Saturday 12th July / Sunday 13th July need some kind of discipline or re-training in customer service!!

After this experience I will never stay with a Travelodge again and I sure as hell hope future guests choose to stay away. Absoutely disgusting.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank EmD06
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had booked one double room and one family room and upon ringing they claimed we had only booked two double rooms. When we arrived this had been sorted however the family room we were given was unbearably hot, we found it impossible to sleep because of how hot and stuffy the room was. They claim their rooms are newly refurbished however I strongly advise they install some air con

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Be aware if you arrive before 3pm for your room , you will get charged £10. Reception did not say anything till I checked in. Car park costs £18.40 Plus one nights stay cost £151.50. I would expect free wi-fi and free early check in if a room was available, and a hairdryer. We normally pay around £100 a night and get everything included even breakfast. Also no channel four.
We stayed at holiday inn express the night before for £80, got free Wi-Fi,free parking , hairdryer and a breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple