“Alright!”

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Cardiff Central Queen Street
Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I use the term "you get what you pay for" quite often, and I would have said it again about this hotel if we had paid half of what we did. At £95 a night I didn't feel it was worth the price. However, we had everything we needed, we stayed with friends for a night out and the location was great and close to bars and clubs, and also plenty of shops! The room itself was fine, basic and fairly clean, however the handle on the bathroom door was broken and there was a piece of bacon on the floor which we did find quite funny but it goes to show that the rooms are probably cleaned so quickly that they are not cleaned quite as thoroughly as they should be! The check out time of 12pm is convenient. The guests mainly consisted of people going out, hen parties etc, which wasn't a problem for us as we are a young group and were going out ourselves! I did sleep well and the bed was comfortable, but obviously being in the city centre it was very noisy and I wouldn't recommend staying here if that would bother you! Overall good, I would stay here again but I would never pay that much to stay here again because other hotels such as The Big Sleep would have been half the price and would have breakfast included as well. The best thing about this hotel is its location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Cardiff and is a 10 second walk to the shops.
The hotel was lovely, staff pleasant and the room adequate for our needs. The shower pressure was poor but this did not impact on my stay.
There is no air-con and the room was very stuffy. Due to the location of the hotel, having the window open all night was not an option since it was very noisy outside.
Our only problem was the lack of an available iron. We were kept waiting for 1.5hrs for an iron and in the end we just went out to party in creased clothes. It seems that the staff had given out all irons without ensuring they knew the location of them (aka a room number) - we had an apology the next day when we checked out, but this did have an impact on our stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Booked in for Super Cup. THEN read the reviews about the noise. So to be expected.

I guess an average Tuesday night wouldn't be so busy but on this occasion, the Spanish partied all night. There was no way I was getting to sleep so I went and joined them!

Room was fairly warm but I asked for a fan on check in and got one no problem.

Location ideal for all the shops/bars/castle etc. Service fantastic. Tough call - if you can sleep through the noise, it's a good shout.

Room Tip: 222 was facing a very lively bar so you may want to avoid....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Ideal for going out as there are loads of bars and clubs around.

If you need a good night's sleep then avoid as it is very busy with everyone going out until the late hours, But if you the life of the party then this is for you

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Worst sleep ever had in a hotel. The room was so hot it was unbearable. Window would only open an inch for safety reasons but there was no ventilation at all, it was like trying to sleep in a sauna! We told the receptionist who just said the window wouldn't open any further for safety reasons and acknowledged it was very hot - helpful! The first night was spent tossing and turning (and sweating!). The second night was even worse - again the room was unbearably hot but we were also woken around 3a.m by people shouting, swearing and slamming doors in the corridor. Mr partner got out of bed (should I say off the bed as it was too hot to get under covers!) to see through our spy hole in the door that there was trouble in the hallway with some men and women which the security guard was doing his best to deal with. The doors continued to be slammed and the women shouting and talking for nearly an hour. In the morning we went to checkout and explained about the unbearable heat in the room and got told by another receptionist that we should have asked for a fan!! Why didn't the first receptionist offer us one? I went on to complain about the disturbance in the night and the receptionist didn't seem aware of how to deal with my complaint and wouldn't even look at me when I spoke to her. Another woman came out from the back office and dealt with my complaint more efficiently and said we would be refunded half of our stay (£80) and would receive a voucher to use in any travel lodge via email. This was 2 weeks ago and we have not received anything. Ideal position for centre of Cardiff - can put up with noise from pubs/clubs but not willing to put up with noise/disturbance in the actual hotel - Do not stay here if the weather is warm!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie J
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hottest most uncomfortable room I have ever stayed in my life even beat the tropics. No ventilation in the room what so ever no, 3 windows radiated heat into the room and only one of the windows opened about an inch not even the extractor fan in the bathroom worked. Don't stay here if it is going to be warm

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andysh99
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a brilliant stay here. We came down to Cardiff for a wedding and the hotel was perfectly placed for central Cardiff. The room was just perfect for us, had everything we needed. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. We were initially worried about the noise of the city but actually we were pleasantly surprised, it was completely quiet and peaceful. We had a great night sleep!

The best thing about the hotel was its staff. Right from the beginning we were made to feel warmly welcomed by Tom on the front desk. He kindly went out his way to help us find directions to our wedding party and gave us excellent suggestions were to go in the city. When you stay in budget hotels you kind of get used to a frosty reception, so it was such a pleasure to stay somewhere where you felt like it had 4 star hospitality and they actually cared!

Thank you for a great stay and will definitely see you next time we are in Cardiff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family