“Don't miss this tour” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cardiff's Forgotten Past

Cardiff's Forgotten Past
Ranked #25 of 44 Tours in Cardiff
More attraction details
Owner description: This walk is brought to you by "Cardiff History and Hauntings" offering professional guided walks discovering Cardiff's past. On a gentle walk through the heart of Cardiff hear stories of a town long gone: gang warfare between powerful families on the Tudor streets, pirates seeking haven and sheltered by nobles, statesmen holding the highest office in the land, martyrs who died for their faith, and poor folk who worked hard but paid a heavy price for minor crimes.
Dorset
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't miss this tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I originally contacted Jim to book a private tour of Castell Coch and was so impressed that I also decided to book this tour as part of our weekend visit to Wales.

We started the 90 minute tour at 10am on Saturday morning outside the tourist information centre as part of a group of 7. As per the other reviews, we cannot recommend this tour enough. Jim is knowledgeable, enthusiastic, engaging and an entertaining story teller which makes his tours interesting and highly enjoyable.

The tour is a gentle paced guided walk through the city (with opportunity to sit down if required). I am originally from the area, so I chose this tour as it not only gave my husband and in-laws a great introduction and overview of the city, but it also taught me lots of new interesting facts that I never knew about areas I’d walked through hundreds of times before.

This tour is great if you are new to the city or a native. Jim runs entertaining tours which are excellent value for money and a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

Visited April 2012
2 Thank DorsetPetal

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Something new and exciting, even for a Cardiffian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I went on this tour yesterday and was amazed that despite being born and bred in Cardiff I still knew so little about the place I call home.

Jim is truly a fantastic tour guide who knows everything there is to know about Cardiff and then some. He took us on a journey around the city centre and gave indepth factually-based accounts of what we'd have seen (and smelled) stood in that particular spot hundreds of years ago. Names of streets and buildings which I always just took for granted now have so much more meaning thanks to Jim's explanation of their origins.

Later the same day I was back in the city centre for drinks and found myself unable to pass any of the places from the tour without telling friends what I'd learnt about it. A regular night on the town became an inpromptu history lesson for my friends (whether they wanted it or not!).

Fascinating and will recommend to everyone.

4 Thank Jake C
Cardiff
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Cardiff's Forgotten Past”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

We decided to go on this walk after doing Jim's Llandaff Ghost Walk (which is excellent by the way). We are lifelong Cardiffians but had some friends staying so wanted them to share in Jim's passion for this city. What really makes these tours so great for me is the passion with which Jim conducts them - he really absolutely loves what he does and is an amazing story teller. Our friends were really enamoured with his stories, especially the mystery visitor in St John's Church! Keep up the great work Jim, and we will be joining you at Margam Park in the near future! Also really excellent value for money by the way.

4 Thank Stanmax
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“To know the place for the first time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I've lived in Cardiff for 30 years but this tour told me so much about the place that I did not know that I saw it again in a new way. This is a great tour if you know Cardiff or if you don't. I went with my wife but it would be good for families with older children or just adults. Jim the guide is a great host, friendly and very knowledgeable and shares that knowledge with enthusiasm.
it would be a great introduction to Cardiff as it would help orientate you to whats there really interesting if you know the place to hear about whats been forgotten and existed before its Victorian expansion. Don't miss it

4 Thank Steve K
“Brilliant !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

My wife and I were both born in Cardiff so Jim's stories lifted the veil on some of the things we didn't know about our home town. Our friends from Woking who came with us found it equally fascinating. Most of all, Jim is a genuinely interesting person both to listen to and to talk to. His knowledge of Cardiff is truly encyclopedic. We've also been on his excellent Llandaff Ghost Walk which was equally enjoyable. Both walks are a great "value for money" way to spend a few hours.

4 Thank Dave H