“Never seen so many flaws in one place before!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Bunk House

Bunk House
London, United Kingdom
“Never seen so many flaws in one place before!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Arrived mid afternoon, 2 hours before the rest of my group arrived, went to check in and pay for my bed but was told by the arrogant bouncer (host/barman/manager) I'd have to pay for all of our groups beds (over £300) as I can't just pay for one.( I've never had this in any hotel/hostel/B&B/Lodge before, absolutely ridiculous). So instead of being able to relax in bed I have booked I had wait in the bar on a 'quirky, trendy' picnic bench, (still can't feel my backside) Once the group arrived we paid for our beds (took a lifetime to sort out). Then get told that he wants to search our bags for alcohol, (nowhere I have ever stayed before does this). We're not 17 years for gods sake.

Rooms were 'adequate' at best, doubt anyone over 5' could get to the 3rd bunk up though. The most disturbing thing was the lack of showers and toilets. 1 shower 3 toilets on the whole floor. All sinks don't fit the taps and just spray everywhere so floors are soaking. I just hope it was just water not anything else...,, Why have key card access to them if the main door has a key card access too???

Overall experience was pretty poor, we were a group of friends on a just a weekend away but this place was like Fort Knox with the 'bouncers' and key cards during day and night, inside and out. Not made any better than by the arrogant male members of staff.

The only plus was that's its on the high street, easy to find and that I have stayed in worse hostels before (just a shame they were in sticks of Malaysia and cost £1.50 per night not £30

Room Tip: The bed in the bar is more comfortable than the ones in the dorms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Staff at the bar where rude couldn't even talk in the bar area told to keep it down bags searched by Alan Carr lookalike out of 10 I give it a 1 for the captain Morgan bouncer on the dest was not a bit nice a friend asked for tea at 9.01am breakfast stopped at 9.00am

1 Thank lightsoutsmith31
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

The reason for the terrible service is the fact the doorman acting as temporarily receptionist has a terrible attitude problem! Regarding the ban on having no food upstairs, having not stopped any of the others in our group, he searched our bags! Ridiculously unnecessary and made us not want to spend any more money in the bar!Not enough showers for a room of 15 but location very good.

Ohio to Middle East
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

Great location to central Cardiff and a nice bar downstairs, but that's all this place has going for it. Staff were extremely unhelpful and unfriendly. When we complained that the room was cold at night (it must have been about 5°) we were told to "get used to the British summer". When we asked about car parking we were told, "I don't know I don't have a car." Not nearly enough showers or toilets for the number of people staying there. Beds are uncomfortable. I have a fairly low bar for hostels but this place -- in particular the useless and surly staff -- fell below that. There must be a better place to stay in Cardiff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank OH2ME

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Heading into Cardiff city centre on a Saturday night can be a daunting affair for some.
But finding a gem in the rough was exactly what happened when we happened upon The Bunk House, situated on St Mary Street.

On a bright summer’s evening, it was a joy to walk in and behold the patio tables with umbrellas, the lavish, opulent décor and the quirky beds. Ice cold beer was served in retro glass tankards and we managed to find a bed to sit on and catch up with some old friends.

The first pint slipped down well, and as the next few beers followed the same way, the overwhelming feeling I had was one of relaxation – something you rarely find in a Cardiff bar on a Saturday night. We commented to each other that this was a real ‘find’. I even mentioned it to the manager who served me at the bar.

But sadly, that’s where the enjoyment ended.

My friend came back from the bar saying that he wasn’t allowed to order any more drinks.
I went up, and was asked by the manager if I was with a certain girl that he pointed out to me. The girl was scarpering through the bar. I’d never seen her before. I replied that I wasn’t and he served me a round of drinks.

Within seconds, a bouncer pulled me to one side, telling me that we had to leave immediately. I asked why, and he said that we’d had too much to drink (we’d had about four rounds). I pointed out that our group were sat talking to each other, not causing any trouble, and that the manager had pointed out another girl to me - it was all probably a misunderstanding. He left us to it, but returned a short while, somewhat embarrassed, and told us that it was our group that had to leave. There’d be no questions – we just had to go.

And that was that. The glowing review that I’d been writing in my head as I sat there drinking suddenly went up in flames.

I’m not the sort of person who writes negative reviews but I felt that I had to make our story public knowledge. We are still at a loss as to why we were asked to leave. Yes, we were drinking but then you’d expect that in a bar that sells alcohol.

Surely sitting around and talking to each other is not a reason to be thrown out?
I’ve since checked out BunkHouse on Trip Advisor and there seems to be a running theme of poor service and rude employees. The staff looked thoroughly miserable throughout the whole time we were there but it was the manner of our exit that stuck in the throat. As it happened, we curtailed our evening and headed home there and then, having left under a cloud.

The sunny summer’s evening that had been magically captured by the Bunk House, its décor and its clientele was suddenly rained off.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Patric M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a stag. We were greeted by a Allan Carr lookalike who can only be describe as a miserable git. With his strict no food or drink policy and constant bag searches! We all shared one room between 15 of us, which had two toilets and showers. It was clean and tidy, and kept clean by the cleaners. The beds were comfy but does not help if you are 6'7'' as one of the group was. The bar down stairs was nice but the beer was flat. Breakfast was toast or tescos cereals, or mcdonlads across the road.
Over all it was good. But Allen Carr needs to relax and not tar every group of men with the same brush, i.e they are going to smash the place up.

1 Thank samwise2211
cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

This place looks quite funky but staff are unfriendly and miserable and the manager was very rude to a group of us who went in for a few quiet drinks.We were asked to leave-we had only had a few drinks - maybe we werent 'cool' enough! The bouncer was really nice and couldnt apologise enough for his managers attitude..I would never go here again.