“Never again...”
Review of Bunk House

Bunk House
“Never again...”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Good location and The facilities are not too bad but the staff are awkward arrogant and definately aren't there to help! Won't be staying here again and definately not recommending it to friends! Shower was broken and didn't get fixed, windows wouldn't open!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JimTaylor201089

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Loses points immediately for a few reasons.
1) Only having wifi in the bar area. Thankfully, the place was practically deserted during my stay, because I can't imagine anything more unappealing than having to sit in the middle of a busy bar just to check my Facebook or attempt to Skype home.
2) When I arrived, I was told I couldn't check in until 2, which is pretty standard, but there was nowhere to store my bag while I waited. When was finally allowed in to my room, nothing had been cleaned, and the bed hadn't been made.

Other than that, it's a bare-bones, budget hostel. Rooms and bathrooms are clean enough to not contract anything, although they have those god-awful showers that require you to press the button every 10 seconds to maintain water pressure, and they offer a laundry service for a few pounds, which is convenient.

Location-wise, it's smack-bang in the center of town, but a solid 15/20 minute walk from Cardiff bay.

Also, the staff are pretty rude/standoffish, but that seems to be a recurring trend in Cardiff.

In summary, it's a bed and a roof over your head with a pretty bar at the bottom. Could do worse.

Room Tip: The second-tier of the bunk beds is nearly impossible to get in and out of. Would definitely recomme...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

The Bunk House hostel is well located in the heart of Cardiff, approximately two minutes walk from both Millennium Stadium and Cardiff Castle.
The rooms are basic as is the breakfast but there was nothing unpleasant about my stay.
Recommended if you're on a budget and want somewhere to stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank As2k10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

While this definitely wasn't my worst hostel stay, I didn't exactly enjoy it either. The staff when we checked in was disinterested and a bit rude, and the hallway to the rooms smelled like sewage. Thankfully this didn't extend into the rooms. The beds were pre made for us and smelt freshly laundered, so I trusted that it was safe, although my bed was camped and I couldn't even sit up halfway. I rolled out of bed whenever I wanted to get up because I couldn't figure out a better way to do so. The bathroom was fine enough except that the door was almost impossible to close, the sinks didn't have a good level of water pressure, and it didn't have any ventilation so if it stunk, it would stink until the staff cleaned it. I didn't use the shower but my friend did and she had trouble continually pushing the button fir more water in the shower. Our room was well heated but lacking enough outlets for me, but we didn't have any problems finding a place to charge our phones because it was an off weekend and the place was almost deserted. We tried renting a laptop from the front desk because we saw a sign that mentioned they were available but they weren't, so we borrowed an iPad instead. One of the bouncers helped us out with that and he was friendlier than all the rest of the staff combined, while being very efficient.

Overall it was a decent hostel but it wasn't anything special and it had its flaws.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Great hostel right in the centre of town. The main lounge room/bar was really cool looking with it's random vintage pieces. The staff when we found them were very friendly and helpfull. The rooms were clean and comfy. Half the stalls in the bathroom were out of order but it didn't become a problem. The breakfast was typical continental although it would have been nice if they had juice as well as coffee and tea.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2013

At the best of times, hostels are not for picky travelers. I know this and I tend to only see it as a place to lay my head and prefer saving a buck over having absolute privacy for just the few hours I am asleep. That said, this place is REALLY not private. I didn't even count all the beds in my room but some of the beds were triple-deckers. The room was huge, and I was there on a weekend so it was packed. Not all rooms are on the front of the hostel, so if you are going there on a weekend and are not the type to take full advantage of the bars, I would recommend requesting a room at the back of the hostel. Our room was right over St. Mary's Street, a lovely, historic promenade... but the bars (including the one in the hostel) are open LATE. I mean, some of them are still going at 5 or 6am. My apartment backs over the club district at home so I am used to club noise - Cardiff was something else though! Plus then of course the folks staying in your room are in and out all night and as we know, the drunker people are, the less courteous they are. I know the patrons have nothing to do with the hostel itself - I only say this as a general warning. The squawky old wood floors in the massive room also ensured maximum footfalls and dragged suitcases.

The entire roomful of girls also shared a single washroom with 2 showers (with frosted doors - not a place for the modest) and 2 toilet stalls so be prepared for a bit of a wait at times. Our showers were also the sort where you hit a button and the water stays on for 10 seconds... a ploy to get you to hurry up no doubt but quite a challenge for rinsing your hair out. As well this washroom was located in the dorm room (not down the hall) and the door did not latch unless you really hauled on it, so you either disturbed (or were disturbed) others by the big bang the door makes when you force it shut, or by the light spilling out into the room along with the sounds of your shower/toilet/toothbrushing/whatever.

The room i was in however was quite pretty, and I feel quite clean, and the hostel downstairs was really cool - the lounge was filled with kitschy decor and daybeds and picnic tables, making it a nice (and cheap) place to have a drink or hang out. It is open though as a public bar in the evenings so be prepared to prove you are staying there and battle big crowds if you want to drink in house on those days. Also just to beware, they don't have a secure luggage storage room - they just pile your luggage in the back of the bar room - so if you are leaving luggage to go explore before or after you check in, be advised that it is just sitting there with no one really paying attention to it.

I didn't find the staff particularly rude - one person was a bit abrupt when I showed up early to check in - everyone else just seemed a little clueless. Hostel staff though - you can't really whinge too much about that. Most of them are fellow travelers and about 12 years old. In the morning, they provide a simple breakfast included in the price of your stay. This is really just toast and jam and cereal, but enough to get you rolling in the morning. As well the location is super central to the touristy stuff (the historic district and the castle), about a 5 minute walk from the train/bus station, and even pretty decent walking distance to Cardiff Bay. There are a million pubs and restaurants just out the door, plus all the tourist-geared shopping arcades nearby.

Overall I recommend it with caution - it depends on your travel plans. If you want a place with some character and a lively night spot, this is the one for you. If you don't mind the noise, go for it. If you want a bit more quiet, maybe try one of the hostels across the river.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Shoogs80
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Location was spot on and it was cheap as chips - the only 2 good things about this hostel.

The rooms are tiny and there are not enough toilets or showers for the amount of people staying. The main issue with this hostel is the staff who were extremely rude and unfriendly when we were checking in, particularly the young blonde girl, who made us feel very unwelcome and uncomfortable. There were no courtesies or conversation, not even when we made conversation to the girl on reception she just ignored us and I feel it was a really poor checking in service. Other staff were also quite unfriendly. A friend of mine recommended the hostel due to the location and rooms but made the exact same comment on the staff in that they made their whole party feel unwelcome and it felt as though we were an inconvenience to them.

Not just the pure rudeness of the staff, we were searched for alcohol and told if we drank anything (even soft drinks) in our room we would be kicked out! And they went on to say they would come and randomly check our room to be sure.

Great location, vile staff who all need clearing out and fresh friendly staff in.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are skint and wearing high heels so don't want to walk far
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends