“Warmth, comfort and a hint of grandeur”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Warmth, comfort and a hint of grandeur”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for two days in late Dec 12. We arrived by taxi from Cardiff central railway station which was a short 5 min ride. Upon check in we found the reception staff to be very cheery, professional and eager to be of service, warm smiles all round. We made our way to our room on the 3rd floor, on entering we were very impressed with size of the room. It was very modern, clean and inviting. The king size bed was wonderful and comfy as was the bed linen. Wifi is not free however, there are apple computers in the lobby which are for the use of hotel guests including free Internet. The bathroom is very modern and appealing. There is a separate bath shower and plenty of space to move around, the toiletries are the standard offerings at Novotel properties worldwide. The bath linen is adequate and reflects appropriately the 4 star rating. There is a comprehensive minibar and great tea, bickies and coffee offerings. The TV is a large flatscreen and was of a better than average quality. We ate in on two occasions and found both the service and food quality to be very good indeed. Our room rate included buffet breakfast and this was absolutely fantastic!; well prepared and generous offerings with great and friendly service to complete a sensational breakfast experience. Overall I really liked this hotel, it's position in relation to downtown Cardiff is a little off the beaten track and commands a 10 min walk to the city centre. That said it is a lovely quiet location only 10-15 mins walk to lovely Cardiff bay in the other direction. I should also mention that they have a stunning indoor pool which looked most inviting. One small criticism however, upon requesting an umbrella for a rainy days sightseeing none was available, this should be quickly rectified in a city as wet as Cardiff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank claude c
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the services and facilities to your liking as well as a 'sensational breakfast experience'.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you both back to the hotel again soon.

Chris Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Turkish first
Mardy
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My wifeand I stayed for one night as a treat and break in January shopping!!
Extremely friendly staff, we loved the modern decor and furniture but best was the way old 'warehouse' features had been utilised.We shall definately return!

Room Tip: Avoid 209 as some noise from units down below.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil J
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for your excellent review.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that you both enjoyed the decor and cuisine during your visit.

I hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Lincoln
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I stayed here on business, a last minute booking. The hotel was great, spotless well equipped executive room (though some written instructions on how to work the coffee machine would have helped in the morning!) The breakfast, though very nice, was overpriced for what it was.
I could see that the area is in the middle of regeneration. However, walking out of the hotel towards the town centre, we came across litter of abandoned clothing, beer bottles and used condoms...not a great impression.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel services and facilities during your visit. I was surprised to read your comments regarding the route that you took into the town centre being littered and i will duly report your comments to the local council for review.

I hope that on your next visit to Cardiff, you will consider the Novotel again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night just after Christmas. The hotel is very stylish and modern yet retains the lovely character of the old building. The hotel had lovely Christmas trees and decorations which added to the warmth of the place. Check in was efficient and the staff were polite and helpful. We stayed on the third floor of the hotel and our room was nice and big. There was plenty of room for my baby's Moses basket and all the baby equipment. You have the option of using baby bottles warmers and cots from the hotel but we had our own. The king size bed was really comfortable as were the pillows. There was a sofa bed in the room for older children which was also very comfortable. The bathroom was very pleasant and clean as was the bedroom although I did find some hair on the bed. There are some toiletries provided such as hand soap, shampoo and body wash which are all environmentally friendly. There is a mini bar in the room with beer, soft drinks and snacks which we chose not to use as £1.80 for a mars bar is ridiculous. We found the room to be very comfortable and provided us with what we needed. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel as £20 for breakfast for both of us didn't seem worthwhile as the town centre is only 5 minutes drive away so we ate there. Also paying for the car park is a bit cheeky and I think the hotel should review this. The pool was great and we went at 3 in the afternoon which was really quiet. I was really disappointed with the lack of changing facilities for children and had to change my baby on the bench in the changing room. Also there are no closed changing facilities so I had to get changed in the shower. I was very surprised that there was no family changing area as it's a family friendly hotel. It was a hassle getting my baby ready to swim hand him over to my husband so I could get ready and then do it again once we had finished our swim. Other than the lack of changing facilities the pool, jacuzzi and sauna were very good. We enjoyed a couple of drinks in the hotel bar which is very modern with lovely soft comfortable sofas. We liked the location of this hotel, five min drive or ten min walk to the centre of town which has a very good selection of shops. St David's shopping centre was excellent. We chose this hotel based on the late check out for families on a Sunday which is 5pm this was excellent for us at no extra charge too. Great hotel, needs to improve the changing room facilities for families but we would stay again.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay.

I am pleased that overall, you had a 'great stay' at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that you found the staff efficient, polite and helpful.

I note your comments regarding the leisure changing rooms and that there is a baby changing facility as you enter the changing room. Also,should you choose to vist again, we can provide a baby cot to assist you upon request.

I hope that we can welcome your family back to the hotel again soon.

London, UK
Reviewed 30 December 2012

The Cardiff Novotel is very much what you expect of a city-centre hotel.

The rooms are fairly sized and well appointed and the beds comfy. The location is a bit further from the city centre than other hotels, but quite handy if you're heading to the Bay area.

We didn't use any of the hotel's amenities nor ate there, so can't comment on that aspect.

Overall, very good value for the price paid and would consider staying there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre.

I am pleased that you ejoyed your stay and hope that next tim, you will be able to enjoy the hotels facilities and cuisine.