“Weekend break”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Weekend break”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is a good quality hotel,very good spa facilities,but the down side is that it was full of small children,this hotel allows children to stay free and to eat free,our room was very nice but was woken up early with crying babies and banging doors also the breakfast room was vey noisy and very messy,I asked atbthe desk if the hotel had a quite area away from family rooms but they don't .we had a great stay but it's not suitable if you are looking for a quite restfull stay,the staff I found very pleasant and helpful,especially those in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Ask if younger byna family room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lesly7
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that overall you had a good stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre. During half-term, we do experience a higher number of families that stay with us and i'm sorry that this was a disturbance for you.

I hope that should you choose to stay with us again and perhaps outside of school holidays, you will be able to have a more pleasurable experience.

Chris Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Turkish first
Wiltshire
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed here overnight for an event at the Motorpoint arena.

We had a little difficulty finding the hotel its a little out of the main area so take a map or some directions if walking from train station so you don't get lost! However once found it is in a good location, close to town and the major attractions in Cardiff including motorpoint & millenium stadium (about 15 min walk)

The check in staff didn't really seem very interested and were not very helpful.

The hotel itself is nice, we were on the top floor in a sizable twin room with en suite bathroom including a bath and shower. We had one massive bed and one sofa bed which had a sheet & thin blanket. I thought I would be cold but was actually nice and warm in the night. The sofa bed would have been fine if it wasn't for the springs digging in my back!

We were also interupted at 4am by the fire alarm which obviously not the staffs fault but there was a lot of confussion and the evacuation procedure didn't seem very organised which was a bit worrying.

Breakfast was A+ and the breakfast staff were all really helpful, cheerful and nice.

I probably wouldn't stay here again, we stayed in the premier inn for half the price and twice the comfort and this is actually closer to the motorpoint.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

Whilst i am sorry that you had difficulty in locating the hotel and were disturbed by a raised fire alarm, i am pleased that you found the service and breakfast 'A+'.

I hope that we may have the opportunity to provide you with a more pleasuarable experience in the future.

Essex UK
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed here for Easter weekend whilst visiting family. The hotel is within walking distance of the main shopping area but a bit of a walk into the bay area. Our room was very clean and spacious. Our older children (8 & 7) were very happy on the sofa bed and commented how comfortable it was. We had enough room to be able to put up a travel cot for our baby too.
The leisure facilities were brilliant the children really enjoyed the pool, the changing areas were very clean.
The breakfast selection had everything you could want and looked very fresh.
We would definitely book here again when visiting Cardiff. Our room was £86 for the night which I think was very good value for a family of 5 including breakfast and use of the swimming pool.

1 Thank victoriabvl
Thank you for your review following your Easter stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre.

I am delighted that your family had a pleasant visit and that you enjoyed the location, room comfort, breakfast, leisure facilities and overall value for money.

I hope that next time, we can provide you with another 'excellent' stay.

cornwall
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here - the first was to go to a concert. I liked it so much we booked to come back. The location means that you can walk into town really easily. We requested and were given adjoining rooms so that the kids could be separate. The leisure facilities are excellent and a real plus in what is essentially a budget type hotel. the buffet breakfast was fresh well cooked and plentiful. We will definately be visiting Cardiff again and would stay here again too. Its a pity though that car parking is charged separately as there is nowhere else to park other than in the hotel. Had they not charged this i would have given it 5.

Room Tip: If you are coming with kids ask for adjoining rooms 504 and 506 as they have great views too
1 Thank mummymeister
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you had a second pleasant stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre. I am also pleased that you and your family enjoyed the location, breakfast and leisure facilities.

I look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

Sandhurst Berks
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed here as part of a city break and booked an executive room. The room did have several problems, however. As a first impression it was very noticeable that the valance around the bed couldn't have been more creased up if you had tried to put them in there. Although this was not service affecting it was unsightly. The room is also advertised as having a Bose iPod docking station player/charger. This not only did not work but the front was falling off. Both of these problems were reported and the duty manager came to check them out. He said he thought there was a spare Bose but it had no plug so if it was okay he would report it the maintenance people for repair. He also took a photograph of the valance to send to the housekeeper. Neither problem was sorted out the following day despite my expectation.
There was one other problem with the very large executive room...... The TV did not have manual controls and the room was so big the TV remote was out of range from either the bed or the seating area so this was one case where bigger wasn't better. The TV, which is a bespoke item for the hotel was poor quality and in the end a waste of time and effort.
On the plus side the hotel is in a pretty good location and only a few minutes walk from the city centre. The restaurant is very nice and the food excellent. Breakfast was very good and filling. The bar was nice but did suffer from the cold breeze from the ever opening and closing of the main hotel door. Staff too were very friendly and helpful (even if those behind the scenes let it down). A very good gym, weights room, pool and spa.
You should be aware of the parking fee for the hotel car park which, at £9 per night, should be factored into your overall costs.
I enjoyed the stay but don't think I would return to the Novotel Cardiff. This hotel in the chain didn't quite meet my expectations gained from staying at other Novotels throughout Europe

Room Tip: check that everything is working in the room and if not ask to move because you cannot rely on those...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Thank you for your review.

We appreciate all types of feedback and thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and please accept my apologies for the shortfall that you encountered. I will be discussing this with the Management Team.
I am pleased that you did enjoy the cuisine, leisure facilities and restaurant.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back where i am confident that we can provide you with a more pleasant experience.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We booked into the Novotel Cardiff for 3 days while visiting friends in Cardiff. As we had paid more than £90 per night bed & breakfast, I had expected a decent room. The room we were given was very small with next to no storage - there were 5 coat hangers and 1 drawer. As it was during the very cold weather and we were staying for 3 nights we had quite a few clothes with us which I struggled to find room for. I asked to be changed to a room with more storage and was given a room which had the same amount of storage although the room itself seemed slightly bigger than the previous one. The staff were friendly but I thought that the rooms are just for business travellers who just have overnight bags. The stay was pleasant enough however some idiot set off the fire alarm at 4:35am on the Saturday morning and it took a while to get it reset. Overall a nice business hotel, but I wouldn't stay there again as I don't think it gives value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased that you feel that Novotel Cardiff is a nice hotel and in terms of cleanliness and service. I also appreciate your comment regarding storage and whilst this is a Novotel standard, an attempt was made to accomodate this by providing you with a larger room but I'm sorry that this did not meet your expectations.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 02920 475000.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I stayed two nights in Novotel Cardiff Centre for the easter long weekend. The room has old furniture. The most important negative was that the room was very very very cold not as expected. The heater in the bathroom was turned off for SAFETY REASONS as stated so the room and the bathroom were freezing. The bath shower water was not satisfactory. The basin hot water was very weak and little. The breakfast was OK except the mushrooms that had strange taste. To be honest I did not report any of these problems to the reception. I only asked for another duvet because it was very cold and I had it. Hope you find my review helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

I was disappointed to read that your stay fell below your expectations and that we did not have the opportunity to put right the problems that you encountered during your stay. I am pleased however, that the instance that you did report, we were able to provide a solution.

At Novotel Cardiff Centre, we strive to make every guests stay a pleasurable one and should we have the opportunity to welcome you back, we will make every effort to accomdate your needs.